barbarians trail

Half-formed posts, inchoate philosophies, and the germs of deep thought.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Re: barbarians trail

Postby Jakob » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:19 pm

The only valuable thing to ever come out of Facebook is probably this movie about it. David Fincher is known for making art out of the darkest corners of human depravity.

The Social Network (2010) - Hacking scene

Imdb:

Harvard student Mark Zuckerberg creates the social networking site. That would become known as Facebook but is later sued by two brothers who claimed he stole their idea, and the co-founder who was later squeezed out of the business.
Director: David Fincher
Writers: Aaron Sorkin (screenplay), Ben Mezrich (book)
Stars: Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield, Justin Timberlake

On a fall night in 2003, Harvard undergrad and computer programming genius Mark Zuckerberg sits down at his computer and heatedly begins working on a new idea. In a fury of blogging and programming, what begins in his dorm room soon becomes a global social network and a revolution in communication. A mere six years and 500 million friends later, Mark Zuckerberg is the youngest billionaire in history... but for this entrepreneur, success leads to both personal and legal complications.

Trivia

Jesse Eisenberg, who is diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), said in an interview that one of the hardest things about the role was having to deliberately speak and behave in a manner he had struggled against in his own personality his entire life.

Justin Timberlake was the only actor who met his real-life character (Sean Parker) before the founding of Facebook and this film. Armie Hammer and Josh Pence met their real-life characters, the Winklevoss twins after filming. The twins enjoyed Hammer and Pence's performance so much they attended a couple screenings of the film.

Mark Zuckerberg originally planned never to see this movie. He ended up taking several of his employees to see it. He later remarked that, despite some of the film's inaccuracies, they got his clothing right.

Andrew Garfield came into rehearsal with a copy of Economics for Dummies. Inspired by that move, Jesse Eisenberg bought C++ for Dummies. According to Eisenberg, both he and Garfield read the introductions of their books and then put them down.

During one of the depositions, it is mentioned that the invention of Facebook made Mark Zuckerberg "the biggest thing on a campus that included nineteen Nobel Laureates, fifteen Pulitzer Prize winners, two future Olympians, and a movie star." One of the lawyers then asks, "Who was the movie star?" and the response is, "Does it matter?" This movie star was, in fact, Natalie Portman, who was enrolled at Harvard from 1999 to 2003 and helped screenwriter Aaron Sorkin by providing him insider information about goings-on at Harvard at the time Facebook first appeared there.

Natalie Portman revealed during "Newsweek's 2011 Oscar Roundtable" that she gave a dinner party for writer Aaron Sorkin, while he was writing the script for this movie, to which she invited a bunch of her friends from Harvard. She wanted to give him the chance to listen to first-hand stories about the social life at Harvard University.

Bill Gates is portrayed by Steve Sires, a "professional Gates impersonator," but his voice was dubbed by a "24-year-old African American kid with dreadlocks," who just happened to sound like Gates.

David Fincher's favorite line in the film is, "I'm just checking your math on that. Yes, I got the same thing."

David Selby, plays one of the attorneys for the Winkelvoss and his character is named Gage. Gage Whitney (sometimes referred to as Gage Whitney Pace) appears multiple times in the works of writer/director Aaron Sorkin, most notably as the law firm where Sam Seyborn was working at before joining the Bartlet Presidential campaign on "The West Wing." The firm is also mentioned in "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" and "The Newsroom," the two television series created by Sorkin after he left "The West Wing. It also appeared in Molly's Game, which was written and directed by Sorkin.

Trent Reznor And Atticus Ross - The Social Network Soundtrack [Full Album]

Born May 17, 1965 in Mercer, Pennsylvania, USA
Birth Name Michael Trent Reznor
Height 5' 7½" (1.71 m)

Trent Reznor is an American songwriter/musician/producer and sole member of multi-platinum act Nine Inch Nails, and now an Academy Award winning film composer. He began creating music as a child in Western Pennsylvania, first on piano and then taking up other instruments. He eventually moved to Cleveland, OH where he took a job at a local recording studio as an assistant engineer/janitor, recording his own material during unused studio time.

Those recordings became the first Nine Inch Nails album, 1989's Pretty Hate Machine. NIN soon developed a reputation as one of the best live acts in rock and joined the inaugural Lollapalooza tour in 1991. The Broken EP followed in 1992, garnering NIN's first Grammy Award (NIN has received twelve Grammy nominations and won two awards). In 1994, the breakthrough album The Downward Spiral was released and featured the radio hits "Closer" and "Hurt." The controversial music video for "Closer" was directed by Mark Romanek and is considered among the best music videos of all time having won various awards (it is one of the few music videos included in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art in New York City). NIN's mud-covered appearance that Summer at Woodstock 1994 is now legendary. Also released that year was the Reznor produced soundtrack to Oliver Stone's Natural Born Killers. He returned to film 3 years later, producing the soundtrack for David Lynch's Lost Highway. In 1997, Reznor appeared on Time magazine's most influential people list, and Spin magazine named him "the most vital artist in music."
For behold, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals
Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby barbarianhorde » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:23 pm

Billions is up to speed.

AXE
Just because I don't listen to you doesn't mean I don't value you.

Wendy smirks, hurt

WENDY
It really kinda does.
It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.
~ Владимир Ильич Ульянов Ленин

THE HORNED ONE
barbarianhorde
Philosopher

Postby barbarianhorde » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:08 pm

Dragon Strength Set performed by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Emiko Hsuen
Published on May 2, 2015
SUBSCRIBE 3
This set was performed publicly by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit at the University of Science of Malaysia more than 30 years ago. Grandmaster Wong is the head of the Shaolin Wahnam Institute (http://www.shaolin.org). He is the 4th generation successor of Ven. Jiang Nan of the Southern Shaolin Monastery.

http://beforethelight.forumotion.com/t4 ... in-kung-fu
It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.

THE HORNED ONE
barbarianhorde
Philosopher

Postby Jakob » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:42 pm

"back in the good old world"

this movie is awesome. If you're skeptical skip to the second chapter.
"Is allowed?"
"Is it... yeah its allowed! This is New York!"

Night on Earth - Jim Jarmusch (1991)

An anthology of 5 different cab drivers in 5 American and European cities and their remarkable fares on the same eventful night.
Director: Jim Jarmusch
Writer: Jim Jarmusch
Stars: Winona Ryder, Gena Rowlands, Lisanne Falk

Music by
Tom Waits

Cinematography by
Frederick Elmes

Film Editing by
Jay Rabinowitz

"For the New York scene where Giancarlo Esposito is trying unsuccessfully to hail a cab, the crew were worried that one of the real cabs passing by might stop for him and ruin the take. But just as it was written in the script, none of the cabs would stop.

Cinematographer Fred Elmes said that the best thing about shooting overnight in Paris was that the bakeries would just be opening as the crew wrapped every morning. So he could cap of his work day with a cup of coffee and a nice, fresh pastry."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102536/tr ... tt_trv_trv
Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby Jakob » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:51 pm

Trop de Bonheur (1994)

Directed by
Cédric Kahn

Writing Credits
Ismaël Ferroukhi
Cédric Kahn

Cast
Malek Bechar ... Kamel
Naguime Bendidi
Didier Borga ... Didier
Salah Bouchouareb Salah Bouchouareb
Caroline Ducey ... Mathilde (as Caroline Trousselard)
Emmanuel Gautier
Laetitia Palermo ... Solange
Estelle Perron ... Valerie
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111497/

If anyone can find me this film I will pay top dollar for it.
Well, just, I guess twice what it cost would be worth it.

Possibly the greatest coming of age movie ever, and it seems to have vanished from the earf.
Even he picture of the lead across has been removed from imdb. No screenshot of the film anywhere. It was planned for a screening a few years back a a film festival and that never happened, it was quietly removed from the schedule in the months ahead.
Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby barbarianhorde » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:26 pm

Ruby Friedman & Nick Page – You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive

We dug coal together' not what people think it means
It seems a lot of people think Raylan saying this is proof of his friendship to Boyd/ having some small amount of warm feelings towards Boyd. I think the more obvious connotation of this scene is that Raylan is finally actually using Boyd's own tricks against him (Boyd often pretends to care about people more than he actually does). The real reason he came was to protect Ava but he pretends it is about friendship to dupe Boyd. He came to say it in person to sell the lie better. It is a somewhat ironic scene where for once Boyd is being played
10 Comments

Give Award

76% Upvoted
This thread is archived
New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast
SORT BY

BEST

level 1
[deleted]
30 points
·
1 year ago
I would agree, except for body language present in that scene. Aside everything else that happened between them throughout the series, i believe they genuinely cared about each other and the final scene shows it.
Give Award
Save

level 2
sundance204
24 points
·
1 year ago
Agree - I think somewhere, deep down, Raylan might acknowledge that outside a few bounces here and there, it just as easily could've been him on the other side of that glass. He pushed the limits of the law often, and Boyd was never the 100% evil foil that someone like batman needs.
Give Award
Save

level 1
th12teen
21 points
·
1 year ago
I disagree somewhat. We dug coal together is not about friendship, true... its about respect. Despite the things Boyd has done, Raylan can't stop respecting him.
Give Award
Save

level 2
ObligatoryHandle
15 points
·
1 year ago
I don't even think it's about respect. Just understanding. Raylan might not like or even respect Boyd, but he gets him. What he does and why he does it makes sense to Raylan. And Boyd exploits this relationship. He knows he can get away with things when it comes to Raylan.
Raylan isn't oblivious to this, either. He just doesn't hold it against Boyd. There is a deep camaraderie, not really a friendship, just a... well, it's something they mine to manipulate each other and survive in Harlan County. Because you can't get out alive. At least, not on your own. A buddy system to help escaping cave-ins.
Give Award
Save

level 1
Headhunt23
11 points
·
1 year ago
Maybe.
Of maybe the writers just wanted Raylan and Boyd to be the last scene and concocted a reason.
But i guess I’ll indulge searching for the deeper truth.
Raylan came to Boyd because Boyd was his white whale - his defining case (even if Drew Thompson was his greatest) and arguably the defining relationship of his life as well (although Arlo would be his formative one).
Boyd was just as smart as Raylan (or perhaps even smarter). They were equally as ruthless. They were equally as maladjusted in their personal relationships and had similarly dysfunctional relationships with their fathers.
With a bit of a nudge, Raylan could have been Boyd, an with an opposite nudge, Boyd could have been Raylan. Raylan understands this and understands that he was fortunate to end up where he did.
Raylan knows that Boyd will forever be a part of him, and therefore he has to pay him the respect by telling him this lie in person, because to not do so, it would be disrespectful to himself.
Give Award
Save

level 2
MrPotatoButt
1 point
·
1 year ago
Raylan came to Boyd because Boyd was his white whale - his defining case (even if Drew Thompson was his greatest) and arguably the defining relationship of his life as well (although Arlo would be his formative one).
Not anything like that. When they were digging coal, they had to work with each other and depend on each other, in order to survive. Now they were working the shithole that was Harlan County. They now have to work with each other and depend on each other to survive Harlan.
Boyd was never Raylan's white whale. Boyd was unfinished business before Raylan could move on. But just because you were moving on, doesn't mean you can turn your back on your past.
Give Award
Save

level 1
paperfisherman
9 points
·
1 year ago
They sort of explain this in the show earlier on. Working in the coal mines is like going to war with someone. There's a deep, deep connection there. Raylan says "That's right" at the end (and goes to see him personally) for the same reason he apologizes for shooting him in the pilot. It's not about friendship or respect, it's deeper. It's about acknowledging the sense of connection between them due to the times they spent underground.
Give Award
Save

level 2
[deleted]
2 points
·
11 months ago
Also, I believe at one point Raylan says that Boyd saved his life down in the mines.
Give Award
Save

level 3
paperfisherman
1 point
·
11 months ago
Yeah, I think so. There’s so much complex emotion in the Raylan-Boyd relationship, that’s one big reason that the show is so good.
Give Award
Save

level 1
ACrusaderA
6 points
·
1 year ago
Perhaps.
But I never saw it as friendship. I saw it as a mutual respect.
Despite all the stupid shit Boyd did, Raylan always respected him.
He could have killed at any of the numerous time he and/or his thugs threatened or came at him with weapons.
But he treated Boyd like a person.
And because of that even if Raylan doesn't consider Boyd friend, he felt that he was owed the ability to hear of Ava's "demise" in person.

https://www.reddit.com/r/justified/comm ... _think_it/

THE HORNED ONE
barbarianhorde
Philosopher

Postby barbarianhorde » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:47 pm

GTA Vice City Fever 105 Full Radio Station

THE HORNED ONE
barbarianhorde
Philosopher

Postby barbarianhorde » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:48 pm

Fat Larry's Band - Act Like You Know 1982 (remastered audio)

THE HORNED ONE
barbarianhorde
Philosopher

Two If By Sea (1996)

Postby barbarianhorde » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:43 pm

TWO IF BY SEA(BULLOCK/LEARY)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118002/

Sandra Bullock & Denis Leary, promo-interview about their movie "Two If By Sea" (1996)

THE HORNED ONE
barbarianhorde
Philosopher

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:16 pm

barbarianhorde wrote:Once everything has become a question, some questions become answers.

Ah, Rumiesque

How do we come to recognize them - to know them?
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."

"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."

“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Meno_ » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:11 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:
barbarianhorde wrote:Once everything has become a question, some questions become answers.

Ah, Rumiesque

https://youtu.be/BLZo_ILZhfk
Meno_
ILP Legend

Postby Jakob » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:31 pm

Ah, Rumiesque

Love.
Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:23 pm

Jakob wrote:

Ah, Rumiesque

Love.

Ah, Jakob, that is not a satisfactory answer for me. It leaves me hungry for more.

Do you mean "God" when you say "Love"?

Do you mean a love of something, like passion (non-sexual) and curiosity which leads us to seek those answers?

I am not sure if Barbarianhorde was speaking of a process where the questions eventually lead to the answers or if he meant, literally, that the question itself is or was always the answer!

I was wrong. It was not Rumi, though I love his words. It was Rilke I was thinking of.

“Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books that are now written in a very foreign tongue. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer.”

That is so profound, One of my favorite quotes though not such an easy thing to follow.

How does love do it?
Oh, if only I had a telescope.
Last edited by Arcturus Descending on Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."

“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:46 pm

Meno_ wrote:

Ah, Rumiesque

https://youtu.be/BLZo_ILZhfk

Hi Meno,

Well, this is true. Eventually we will get our answers through paying attention/observing, listening, thinking things out, following the journey to the end of its process.
Is that the sum and substance of Barbarianhorde's statement? I wanted something deeper. :sad-teareye:

Immanuel Kant
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Meno_ » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:11 pm

"Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer."

This is so sublime, as to suggest an unending horizon stretched out to within an iota of an image, carried by the most subtle whispering breeze between a gentle bough , into an unimaginable set of possibilities , unbound to almost an unimaginable far flung proximity, still pulling in with an umresistable force.

I am unsure about Barbarian, but the question of who consumes whom more profilically has come up like a zeitgeist , irrespective of relative spatial temporal considerations. That is not trying to best one unto the other, only seeking the level of comprehension between levels of energy containment, or, as an inquiry as to who travels deeper , in most senses of that word?

May be even not in the relative comparative view of description of how low they went , but in the sense of how low (or high!) did they, in a hidden internexus.

Here some tried:

Rilke’s poetry, reflecting the challenges of the modern world, has been interpreted and alluded to by many artists, writers, and musicians. Ibn Gabirol sums up the provenance of these three poets in his philosophic work The Fountain of Light: “sometimes [you feel] that you are only part of them [spiritual substance], because of the bond between you and between physical being; and sometimes it will seem to you that you are the sum total of these [spiritual] substances and that there is no difference between you and them.” As he declares in “And Don’t Be Astonished”: “he’s soul encircling the physique,/and a sphere in which all is held.” Rumi expresses this experience in “Suddenly A Moon Appeared”: “For in the moon, my body, by grace had become soul./And when I traveled in this soul, I saw nothing but moon,/Until the mystery of eternal theophany lay open to me.” He puts it succinctly in “Ode 2721”: “For the fire within us/There is no translaton"

Thanks Arc, that was perfect. I had to source it out. ( was going to write , sort it out)
Meno_
ILP Legend

Previous

Return to The Sandbox