How do you successfully forge memories?

Half-formed posts, inchoate philosophies, and the germs of deep thought.

Moderator: Only_Humean

How do you successfully forge memories?

Postby WendyDarling » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:17 pm

Horror and shock found in dreams
Awe during waking moments
Music tied to a time frame or person
Repetition
The transitioning of one's perspective

Also, how correct are the memories you forge?

My memories are definitely embellished as one glorifies the dead. Impressions affect me to ridiculous degrees and if our hard drives have limited space, much of what I remember is not trivia, it's all these times and they are made of many continuous moments, not to be confused with what is represented by a still photograph, my mind is full of my past, too full to receive much else along the lines of an education. Am I wired in some whacky way most aren't?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Re: How do you successfully forge memories?

Postby WendyDarling » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:46 pm

I write off trivia that I cannot apply immediately. Maybe I must be impressed by the knowledge I encounter for it to be memorable. The older I become, the more I notice that my past and present are fighting for my hard drive and my past is winning for I was more impressionable earlier on.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Dan~ » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:47 pm

Some parts of me go against the good of the whole.
Life is difficult and it makes me feel tired on the inside.
My hard drive has some space left.
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting two of my free game projects.
Dan~
ILP Legend

Location: May the loving spirit of papa hitler watch over and bless you all.

Postby WendyDarling » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:58 pm

Wiki defines memory as:
Memory is the faculty of the mind by which information is encoded, stored, and retrieved. Memory is vital to experiences and related to limbic systems, it is the retention of information over time for the purpose of influencing future action.

"For the purpose of influencing future action" is interesting. How intuitive is that process? What's the basis for filtering out extraneous information?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby mannequin01 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:15 pm

You are beautiful Wendy
mannequin01

Postby WendyDarling » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:49 pm

*blushing* Thank you MP.

Anything to add to the topic? It needs help.

encode_decode,
your brain/computer thread seems related to this thread. What say you?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby WendyDarling » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:10 pm

"For the purpose of influencing future action" is interesting. How intuitive is that process? What's the basis for filtering out extraneous information?

Survival? Or taste?

In modern times, the amount of information available is staggering, bombarding one's brain relentlessly. My brain filters out 99.9999% as useless (unless a contestant on a game show). Can a brain streamline itself or is that part of my individual survival instinct? A lot of folks around here are interested in acquiring what I consider useless information I also refer to as fluff and they remember this stuff. Fluff fills their minds, but on the other hand, more practical knowledge is beyond them such as the general upkeep and maintenance of a vehicle from checking/adding fluids, tire pressure, changing a tire, etc. That baffles me.

Wiki says that memories are formed at
The point where two neurons contact each other is called a synapse, and neurons are constantly forming new synapses and pruning old ones. ... Thus, memories are encoded in the connections between neurons, and different kinds of memories are stored in different kinds of neurons in different parts of the brain.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby WendyDarling » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:56 pm

It was interesting to read that neuroscience has yet to identify and tag all the different types of neurons in the brain so our types of memories (explicit and implicit), not only the stages such as sensory, short term, and long term would importantly depend on the types and numbers of neurons that each brain houses.
So my brain seems to favor Episodic Memory. I don't understand why procedural memory (skills/tasks) lies under the implicit (unconscious) memory.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Gloominary » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:24 am

WendyDarling wrote:Horror and shock found in dreams
Awe during waking moments
Music tied to a time frame or person
Repetition
The transitioning of one's perspective

Also, how correct are the memories you forge?

My memories are definitely embellished as one glorifies the dead. Impressions affect me to ridiculous degrees and if our hard drives have limited space, much of what I remember is not trivia, it's all these times and they are made of many continuous moments, not to be confused with what is represented by a still photograph, my mind is full of my past, too full to receive much else along the lines of an education. Am I wired in some whacky way most aren't?

Memory isn't uniform, some people are good at remembering personal events, things that've happened to them, myself I'm the opposite, I'm better at remembering facts and figures.
Gloominary
Thinker

Postby WendyDarling » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:22 am

So your memory is more semantic.

I wonder if there are more categories of neurons that affect general behaviors, such as the artistic or creative neurons where possible inspiration may be embedded to reveal itself as more physical designs maybe under the episodic memory and more abstract creative mind works such as a mathematical formula taken from the semantic memories. Concrete and abstract ways of being creative.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Gloominary » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:32 am

I find the more I organize things in my head like a filing cabinet, the better I can remember them.
Gloominary
Thinker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:50 pm

Memories can be deceptive or we can be self-deceptive about them I think. We can underplay them or overplay them ~~ sometimes through no fault of our own. The mind is not perfect and memory is not set in stone. It can be manipulated.

Keeping a journal is a good thing as long as we are as impeccably honest as we can be about our daily experiences, feelings and perspectives.
Joseph Joubert ~~

It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

“We love repose of mind so well, that we are arrested by anything which has even the appearance of truth; and so we fall asleep on clouds.”

You have to be like the pebble in the stream, keeping the grain and rolling along without being dissolved or dissolving anything else.
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:17 am

So my brain seems to favor Episodic Memory (experiences, events)

Perhaps the notion of woundology is in play here?

Woundology is about using the wounds -- the hurts, the traumas, the unfortunate events, the slings and arrows of life in general -- in order for the wounded person to manipulate others, elicit sympathy or compassion, to gain a measure of power and/or authority, and/or to claim allowance for their disagreeable actions.

A recent thought ... a wound fades into the shadows of memory when one finally understands the "gift/purpose" embodied in the wound.
"Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby encode_decode » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:45 am

WendyDarling

Be careful what you ask of me at the moment - I am caught up in a period of deep thought that I am failing to return from for the time being - hence I have been quiet lately - I will try to make what I think as understandable as possible - that is all I can do.

WendyDarling wrote:encode_decode,
    your brain/computer thread seems related to this thread. What say you?

Hmm, what say I? Well I think I am going to have to think about my answer carefully. I do not think of memories the same way as most do - most people are stuck with the brain/computer metaphor which I think is just plainly wrong. Time and connections seem to be the way of the brain as is evident with how neurons act - strength of memory is attained through working/reworking concepts but when trying to do this without original material such that a computer can do, things get messy.

I say that we can successfully forge memories - just not the same way a computer does it - I would think that much is clear.

What we forge is not an exact representation of what was meant to be.

For us memory becomes fluid.

:-k
      Neosophi | HOME | FORUM

Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony
      (James S Saint)

It’s not that truth itself is being eroded per se, it’s that fragmental falsification appears to be increasing.
      (Anomaly654)

Mind is an ever changing dimension that is bound to reality, logic and emotion.
      (Myself)
      encode_decode
      Philosopher

Return to The Sandbox