How do you successfully forge memories?

Horror and shock found in dreams
Awe during waking moments
Music tied to a time frame or person
Repetition
The transitioning of one’s perspective

Also, how correct are the memories you forge?

My memories are definitely embellished as one glorifies the dead. Impressions affect me to ridiculous degrees and if our hard drives have limited space, much of what I remember is not trivia, it’s all these times and they are made of many continuous moments, not to be confused with what is represented by a still photograph, my mind is full of my past, too full to receive much else along the lines of an education. Am I wired in some whacky way most aren’t?

I write off trivia that I cannot apply immediately. Maybe I must be impressed by the knowledge I encounter for it to be memorable. The older I become, the more I notice that my past and present are fighting for my hard drive and my past is winning for I was more impressionable earlier on.

Some parts of me go against the good of the whole.
Life is difficult and it makes me feel tired on the inside.
My hard drive has some space left.

Wiki defines memory as:

“For the purpose of influencing future action” is interesting. How intuitive is that process? What’s the basis for filtering out extraneous information?

You are beautiful Wendy

blushing Thank you MP.

Anything to add to the topic? It needs help.

encode_decode,
your brain/computer thread seems related to this thread. What say you?

Survival? Or taste?

In modern times, the amount of information available is staggering, bombarding one’s brain relentlessly. My brain filters out 99.9999% as useless (unless a contestant on a game show). Can a brain streamline itself or is that part of my individual survival instinct? A lot of folks around here are interested in acquiring what I consider useless information I also refer to as fluff and they remember this stuff. Fluff fills their minds, but on the other hand, more practical knowledge is beyond them such as the general upkeep and maintenance of a vehicle from checking/adding fluids, tire pressure, changing a tire, etc. That baffles me.

Wiki says that memories are formed at

It was interesting to read that neuroscience has yet to identify and tag all the different types of neurons in the brain so our types of memories (explicit and implicit), not only the stages such as sensory, short term, and long term would importantly depend on the types and numbers of neurons that each brain houses.

So my brain seems to favor Episodic Memory. I don’t understand why procedural memory (skills/tasks) lies under the implicit (unconscious) memory.

Memory isn’t uniform, some people are good at remembering personal events, things that’ve happened to them, myself I’m the opposite, I’m better at remembering facts and figures.

So your memory is more semantic.

I wonder if there are more categories of neurons that affect general behaviors, such as the artistic or creative neurons where possible inspiration may be embedded to reveal itself as more physical designs maybe under the episodic memory and more abstract creative mind works such as a mathematical formula taken from the semantic memories. Concrete and abstract ways of being creative.

I find the more I organize things in my head like a filing cabinet, the better I can remember them.

Memories can be deceptive or we can be self-deceptive about them I think. We can underplay them or overplay them ~~ sometimes through no fault of our own. The mind is not perfect and memory is not set in stone. It can be manipulated.

Keeping a journal is a good thing as long as we are as impeccably honest as we can be about our daily experiences, feelings and perspectives.

[b]

[/b]

Perhaps the notion of woundology is in play here?

[b]

[/b]

A recent thought … a wound fades into the shadows of memory when one finally understands the “gift/purpose” embodied in the wound.

WendyDarling

Be careful what you ask of me at the moment - I am caught up in a period of deep thought that I am failing to return from for the time being - hence I have been quiet lately - I will try to make what I think as understandable as possible - that is all I can do.

Hmm, what say I? Well I think I am going to have to think about my answer carefully. I do not think of memories the same way as most do - most people are stuck with the brain/computer metaphor which I think is just plainly wrong. Time and connections seem to be the way of the brain as is evident with how neurons act - strength of memory is attained through working/reworking concepts but when trying to do this without original material such that a computer can do, things get messy.

I say that we can successfully forge memories - just not the same way a computer does it - I would think that much is clear.

What we forge is not an exact representation of what was meant to be.

For us memory becomes fluid.

:-k