Psilocybin

Half-formed posts, inchoate philosophies, and the germs of deep thought.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Psilocybin

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:09 pm

Terrence McKenna claimed that human evolution was jump-started when our early ancestors consumed the "magic mushroom". He claimed ingesting the mushroom caused man to develop self-realization and language. For further info. search" mushrooms and human evolution".
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Re: Psilocybin

Postby Pandora » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:34 pm

In that case we would be able to replicate self awareness in monkeys as well. I think it’s rather unlikely, as altering mind states is detrimental to survival in the wild. A stoned ape is unlikely to survive and replicate.
Pandora
Philosopher

Postby Mr Reasonable » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:08 am

Stoned isn't what you get when you eat mushrooms. You don't think monkeys are self aware?
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby Pandora » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:35 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:You don't think monkeys are self aware?
They sure are, and they write books, too. Just saw some of their works in Barnes and Noble the other day. (must have been multi-generational use of high quality hallucinogenics there)
Pandora
Philosopher

Postby James S Saint » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:45 pm

I don't know if they write books, but they sure seem to make a lot of forum postings. :-?
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Ierrellus » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:25 pm

Washoe, the chimp ,was able to recognize not only herself, but learned a sizeable number of basic words.
Last edited by Ierrellus on Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Ierrellus » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:35 pm

Pandora wrote:In that case we would be able to replicate self awareness in monkeys as well. I think it’s rather unlikely, as altering mind states is detrimental to survival in the wild. A stoned ape is unlikely to survive and replicate.

Terrence was talking about proto-humans. not monkeys. This is the old fundy argument against evolution--that current monkeys don't appear to be changing. How do we know what caused the primitive humans to become homo sapiens? And what of the mushroom's effect on consciousness could have fostered language? The theory is not so extravagant once one considers the necessity of self-awareness for the possibility of language as communication about necessities.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Ierrellus » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:40 pm

James S Saint wrote:I don't know if they write books, but they sure seem to make a lot of forum postings. :-?

Who are they?
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Ierrellus » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:31 pm

Happy holidays to all!
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Mr Reasonable » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:39 am

James S Saint wrote:I don't know if they write books, but they sure seem to make a lot of forum postings. :-?

Fuck you James.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby Zero_Sum » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:00 pm

I think the absurd birth of religion was the physiological neural transformation mentally.
"The condition of man... is a condition of war of everyone against everyone."

"I put for the general inclination of all mankind, a perpetual and restless desire of power after power, that ceaseth only in death."

-Thomas Hobbes-

"History is a set of lies agreed upon." - Napoleon Bonaparte

“To judge from the notions expounded by theologians, one must conclude that God created most men simply with a view to crowding hell.”― Marquis de Sade

“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

"Republicans are red and democrats are blue, neither political party gives a flying fuck about you." - Unknown Origin

“In the architecture of their life some may display Potemkin happiness in view of hiding the dark features of their fair weather relationship, preferring to set up a window dressing of fake satisfaction rather than being rejected as emotional outcasts." Erik Pevernagie
Zero_Sum
Machiavellian Negator, Absurdist, And Cynic

Location: United States- Financial And Commercial Corporate Feudal Oligarchic Empire/Gulag Of Wallstreet.

Postby Ierrellus » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:20 pm

Zero_Sum wrote:I think the absurd birth of religion was the physiological neural transformation mentally.

Can one ask you how and why? What caused the birth of religion? Mushrooms?
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Dan~ » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:23 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:

Fuck you James.

What if he was joking? Were you serious about "Fuck you"? or were you also joking?
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting two of my free game projects.
Dan~
ILP Legend

Location: May the loving spirit of papa hitler watch over and bless you all.

Postby Mr Reasonable » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:46 am

Both. Like schrodinger's cat.

Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby Zero_Sum » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:10 pm

Ierrellus wrote:
Zero_Sum wrote:I think the absurd birth of religion was the physiological neural transformation mentally.

I believe religion in its very beginnings or origins was a kind of delusional psychological break with reality but nonetheless was powerful enough to physiologically and neurologically transform the human mind. No need for drugs as things like delusion, psychosis, or breaking away from reality can physically alter the brain also overtime.
"The condition of man... is a condition of war of everyone against everyone."

"I put for the general inclination of all mankind, a perpetual and restless desire of power after power, that ceaseth only in death."

-Thomas Hobbes-

"History is a set of lies agreed upon." - Napoleon Bonaparte

“To judge from the notions expounded by theologians, one must conclude that God created most men simply with a view to crowding hell.”― Marquis de Sade

“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

"Republicans are red and democrats are blue, neither political party gives a flying fuck about you." - Unknown Origin

“In the architecture of their life some may display Potemkin happiness in view of hiding the dark features of their fair weather relationship, preferring to set up a window dressing of fake satisfaction rather than being rejected as emotional outcasts." Erik Pevernagie
Zero_Sum
Machiavellian Negator, Absurdist, And Cynic

Location: United States- Financial And Commercial Corporate Feudal Oligarchic Empire/Gulag Of Wallstreet.

Postby Ierrellus » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:32 pm

Zero_Sum wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:

I believe religion in its very beginnings or origins was a kind of delusional psychological break with reality but nonetheless was powerful enough to physiologically and neurologically transform the human mind. No need for drugs as things like delusion, psychosis, or breaking away from reality can physically alter the brain also overtime.

"Delusional psychological break" does not adequately express my belief and experience concerning religion.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:46 pm

So we simply evolved with no help from gods, plants or space aliens (the Watchers)?
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Gloominary » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:17 am

Ierrellus wrote:Terrence McKenna claimed that human evolution was jump-started when our early ancestors consumed the "magic mushroom". He claimed ingesting the mushroom caused man to develop self-realization and language. For further info. search" mushrooms and human evolution".

I'm not sure shrooms improved my language skills or sense of self.
A lot of people report a sense of depersonalization after ingesting shrooms and other psychedelics.
Gloominary
Thinker

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:07 pm

Pandora wrote:In that case we would be able to replicate self awareness in monkeys as well. I think it’s rather unlikely, as altering mind states is detrimental to survival in the wild. A stoned ape is unlikely to survive and replicate.

But animals are drawn to hallucinogens and also to medicinal herbs when they are sick. I am not sure if I agree with McKenna, but many animals including apes do indulge in hallucinogens and I would guess they would have already stopped if it were evolutionarily detrimental.
Karpel Tunnel

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:08 pm

Pandora wrote:
Mr Reasonable wrote:You don't think monkeys are self aware?
They sure are, and they write books, too. Just saw some of their works in Barnes and Noble the other day. (must have been multi-generational use of high quality hallucinogenics there)

So humans who do not write books are not self-aware?
Karpel Tunnel

Return to The Sandbox