Oh Yeah?

Half-formed posts, inchoate philosophies, and the germs of deep thought.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Oh Yeah?

Postby Jakob » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:59 pm

For behold, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals
Jakob
ILP Legend

Re: Oh Yeah?

Postby Mr Reasonable » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:33 am

You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby gib » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:12 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:https://www.theonion.com/new-evidence-reveals-pythagoras-wrote-dozens-of-unhinge-1819655096

From the site:

These conspiracy theorems shed new light on this historic figure, who was apparently suspicious of the fact that all triangles have interior angles adding up to 180 degrees, believing this was evidence that they were united in hiding some sort of covert agenda,” said Professor Janet Boisvert, who found among the artifacts an alternative version of the Pythagorean theorem in which Pythagoras concluded that the square of the hypotenuse of a right triangle was equal to the sum of “all the lies embodied by these cursed triangles!” “One scroll is 35 feet long and contains nothing but a rambling series of postulates attempting to demonstrate the existence of a triangle with three obtuse angles that he thought was being kept under wraps by the government.

Einstein proved that on the surface of a sphere, you could form a triangle with two right angles. Just draw two parallel lines going north starting from the equator and they will meet at the north pole. <-- Could that be considered a triangle? If so, is there a spacetime geometry in which a triangle can be formed with three obtuse angles? Hmm... :-k
My thoughts | My art | My music | My poetry

It is impossible for a human being to go through life not thinking irrationally even if they think of themselves as rational
Also just as irrational decisions are not always bad then rational ones are not always good no matter what the intention
- surreptitious75

The rating of rationality can be higher and always is higher than the person trying to be rational. Rationality is less emotional than the person delivering it.
- encode_decode

Is that a demon slug in your stomach or are you just happy to see me?
- Rick Sanchez
gib
resident exorcist

Postby Uccisore » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:32 pm

gib wrote:Einstein proved that on the surface of a sphere, you could form a triangle with two right angles. Just draw two parallel lines going north starting from the equator and they will meet at the north pole. <-- Could that be considered a triangle? If so, is there a spacetime geometry in which a triangle can be formed with three obtuse angles? Hmm... :-k

What if I say you can't draw a triangle on a sphere at all, because anything drawn on a sphere is inherently a three dimensional figure, which violates the definition of 'triangle'?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8mPuckq ... ure=vmdshb

http://deepfreeze.it/ Curious about corrupt practices in video game journalism? Look no further.
Uccisore
The Legitimatizer

Postby James S Saint » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:55 pm

gib wrote:is there a spacetime geometry in which a triangle can be formed with three obtuse angles? Hmm... :-k

Easily as long as you aren't talking about planer geometry. Wrapping things around a sphere allows for just about anything.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby gib » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:47 pm

Uccisore wrote:
gib wrote:Einstein proved that on the surface of a sphere, you could form a triangle with two right angles. Just draw two parallel lines going north starting from the equator and they will meet at the north pole. <-- Could that be considered a triangle? If so, is there a spacetime geometry in which a triangle can be formed with three obtuse angles? Hmm... :-k

What if I say you can't draw a triangle on a sphere at all, because anything drawn on a sphere is inherently a three dimensional figure, which violates the definition of 'triangle'?

That's why I posed it as a question: "Could that be considered a triangle?" I'm not sure myself.

But I think to the beings who are confined to the sphere surface, any shape you draw enclosed by 3 angles would look like a triangle. The sphere is supposed to be a representation of a 4D object and the surface is supposed to be a representation of 3D space. No matter how curved the shapes we draw on the surface, the beings who live in that surface will not see curvature.

Still, that doesn't mean the shape I described would look like a triangle to them either. At the equator, it would look like the beginning of a square and as they make their way to the north pole they'd wonder how the hell the two sides ended up crossing.

James S Saint wrote:
gib wrote:is there a spacetime geometry in which a triangle can be formed with three obtuse angles? Hmm... :-k

Easily as long as you aren't talking about planer geometry. Wrapping things around a sphere allows for just about anything.

I'm trying to picture it. If we widen the angles at the equator to be slightly more than 90 degrees so that they're obtuse, I'm pretty sure the two lines would still meet somewhere near the north pole, but I think it would still be acute.

To get an enclosed shape with three obtuse angles, you would definitely have to warp space in such a way that it perfectly accommodates the angles you want. You could probably just warp space somewhere in the middle of each line as they made their way upward such that they end up curving more towards each other. If you cause them to curve a bit beyond 45 degrees, then they'd form an obtuse angle when they met each other.
My thoughts | My art | My music | My poetry

It is impossible for a human being to go through life not thinking irrationally even if they think of themselves as rational
Also just as irrational decisions are not always bad then rational ones are not always good no matter what the intention
- surreptitious75

The rating of rationality can be higher and always is higher than the person trying to be rational. Rationality is less emotional than the person delivering it.
- encode_decode

Is that a demon slug in your stomach or are you just happy to see me?
- Rick Sanchez
gib
resident exorcist

Return to The Sandbox