Q&A

Half-formed posts, inchoate philosophies, and the germs of deep thought.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Re: Q&A

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:33 pm

gib wrote:Paranoia can be contagious, encode. But I've contracted every strain of this bacteria. I'm immune. :lol:

Perhaps *every* could presuppose that there may still be another or others out there lurking in the wings?
You are not immune until you die. lol

Be vigilant but with balance. If you are hyper-vigilant you may experience paranoia around every corner. 8-[
Train your mind to be calm, gib.
:evilfun:
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby gib » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:18 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:Train your mind to be calm, gib.

Thanks master Yoda. :mrgreen:
My thoughts | My art | My music | My poetry

It is impossible for a human being to go through life not thinking irrationally even if they think of themselves as rational
Also just as irrational decisions are not always bad then rational ones are not always good no matter what the intention
- surreptitious75

The rating of rationality can be higher and always is higher than the person trying to be rational. Rationality is less emotional than the person delivering it.
- encode_decode
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:26 pm

gib wrote:
Arcturus Descending wrote:Train your mind to be calm, gib.

Thanks master Yoda. :mrgreen:

Everything I know I have learned from my cat, Yoda. :evilfun:
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby encode_decode » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:55 am

Arcturus Descending

And here I was, hoping, praying and further hoping that both yourself and gib would catch the strain I have on offer.

Arcturus Descending wrote:
    gib wrote:Paranoia can be contagious, encode. But I've contracted every strain of this bacteria. I'm immune. :lol:

Perhaps *every* could presuppose that there may still be another or others out there lurking in the wings?
    You are not immune until you die. lol

Perhaps the strain I am offering is not contagious.

Arcturus Descending wrote:Be vigilant but with balance. If you are hyper-vigilant you may experience paranoia around every corner. 8-[
    Train your mind to be calm, gib.

I took this on board . . . now I am paranoid . . . I am freaked out. I hope you will be OK gib.

:lol:
    - Mind is an ever changing dimension that is bound to reality, logic and emotion. (2017) -
    encode_decode
    Thinker

Postby gib » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:56 pm

encode_decode wrote:And here I was, hoping, praying and further hoping that both yourself and gib would catch the strain I have on offer.

Geez, what a tempting offer! :lol:
    My thoughts | My art | My music | My poetry

It is impossible for a human being to go through life not thinking irrationally even if they think of themselves as rational
    Also just as irrational decisions are not always bad then rational ones are not always good no matter what the intention
    - surreptitious75

The rating of rationality can be higher and always is higher than the person trying to be rational. Rationality is less emotional than the person delivering it.
    - encode_decode
    gib
    little shitheaded Buddha

Previous

Return to The Sandbox