Better Ideas

Half-formed posts, inchoate philosophies, and the germs of deep thought.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Re: Better Ideas

Postby WendyDarling » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:19 am

Not in any traditional, organized religious sense. When are you gonna posit some workable ideas Mr.?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby WendyDarling » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:58 am

The idea that common sense is dead is beyond disturbing. Can any civilization be saved from destroying itself without common sense?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Some Guy in History » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:12 pm

WendyDarling wrote:The idea that common sense is dead is beyond disturbing. Can any civilization be saved from destroying itself without common sense?

Depends on if it can tap into uncommon senses.
Some Guy in History
Philosopher

Postby surreptitious57 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:39 am

WendyDarling wrote:
Can any civilization be saved from destroying itself without common sense

I would not use common sense as the means by which civilisation can be saved. You need something a bit more rigorous than that because as a methodology
it is not very reliable. In fact for something as fundamental as the saving of civilisation it is I would suggest very unreliable indeed. So try and be a bit more
structured in your thinking because that is where the answers lie. Now I do not know what they actually are as I said. But that is where they will come from
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:33 pm

The broken individual...segueways into the broken family...which has no values due to lack of commitment in the individual as well as to the family structure.

What beliefs do moderns have? What is their foundation if they were not born standing on one?

Moderns who deny their choices and name it pragmatism as if that excuses their mistakes and the lack of a foundation upon which their child rests is a lie found in their head they tell themselves as they drink to forget, just another type of reality denier. A very selfish and stupid one at that.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby surreptitious57 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:05 am

I did not know that pragmatism and reality denial were mutually compatible
surreptitious57
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:39 am

Neither did I until today. I don't condone such insanity and it runs deep.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby surreptitious57 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:01 am

You need to elaborate on that and explain exactly what you mean
surreptitious57
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:29 am

I'll try to come up with a less despicable example of mixing pragmatism and simultaneously denying reality.

[Edit: Joker suggested how the world is currently set up to repeat the same systems that do not work, the pragmatism is the choice to stay the course rinse and repeat even though it is not working which is the reality denial.]

Explaining insanity is difficult.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby surreptitious57 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:58 am

It is not pragmatism and reality which are mutually incompatible but idealism and pragmatism and idealism and reality. For idealism is more likely
to be rooted in reality denial because it sometimes seeks solutions to problems which are unworkable but desirable. While pragmatism is rooted in
what is workable if not necessarily desirable. Pragmatism and reality can therefore never be mutually incompatible. For that is simply not possible
surreptitious57
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:03 am

You don't understand my examples? The ideal was the pragmatism which turned into reality denial in that it wasn't ideal.

Can that be termed deniable plausibility? [Edit:Oh it's actually, plausible deniability, but in this case a hierarchy of decisions rather than the hierarchy of an organization, unless there is a better word for this type of playing dumb conduct]
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby surreptitious57 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:23 am

WendyDarling wrote:
Joker suggested how the world is currently set up to repeat the same systems that do not work and the pragmatism is the choice to stay the course rinse and
repeat even though it is not working which is the reality denial

Pragmatism is trying a system to see how workable it is. The only problem is that all systems are hierarchical in nature so naturally benefit those at the top
more than at the bottom. That is why no system is perfect. Therefore the focus has to be on making the favoured one as perfect and egalitarian as possible
surreptitious57
Philosopher

Postby surreptitious57 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:27 am

WendyDarling wrote:
The ideal was the pragmatism which turned into reality denial in that it wasnt ideal

No system is truly ideal and so the goal should be to find the one that is the most ideal
surreptitious57
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:28 am

I was just commenting on a type of insanity in which the ideal was the pragmatism. Joker is not coming to debate the example he gave me to share.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby surreptitious57 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:34 am

Every single system that has ever been tried since civilisation began is less than perfect and
this simple truth has to be accepted for there is no such thing as a perfect system in reality
surreptitious57
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:36 am

Recently, I dedicated a song to you Surreptitious over in my music thread.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby surreptitious57 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:58 am

That is very kind of you but seriously I am absolutely fine
So please do not waste mental energy worrying about me
surreptitious57
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:05 am

Living as a robot worries me.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby surreptitious57 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:47 am

I am fine like I said and so you have no reason to worry about me
surreptitious57
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:17 am

Control yourself and stop trying to control me, I'll worry if I so choose. :evilfun: :lol:
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Mr Reasonable » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:33 am

Weird.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:20 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:How do you know anything?

Be the change you want to see and all that.

I thought that you passed away, Wayne.
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:35 pm

WendyDarling wrote:The idea that common sense is dead is beyond disturbing. Can any civilization be saved from destroying itself without common sense?

I think that what we need in this day and age, Wendy, is more [un]common sense...not the usual run-of-the-mill common sense which runs rampant.
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby WendyDarling » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:17 pm

I think that what we need in this day and age, Wendy, is more [un]common sense...not the usual run-of-the-mill common sense which runs rampant.

There is no common sense...it is dead and has been for the last twenty years.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby surreptitious57 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:41 pm

And so what occurred twenty years ago to cause that to happen
surreptitious57
Philosopher

PreviousNext

Return to The Sandbox