Drugs are venial sin = condition of the Australian dream?

Worth a thought methinks…

I spose then decent^(4venial*) 8-[

What exactly do you need to be happy Impious? Sex, pay, popularity? In the end these things are all judged in black and white, so take care.

Is the notion that drugs are venial sin the condition of the Australian dream? I don’t know and don’t really care to know. But are drugs venial sin? This question I find more interesting, and I would say not all drugs are equal. If there are drugs that are venial sin, I’m not interested in them. What I’m interested in are drugs that are no sin at all, but the opposite: not a sundering, but a re-ligion, a binding-back. The difference may be in the way in which they are used, though. I’ve always despised mere recreational drug use (which ironically is the opposite of creation or re-creation).

Can you expand on this?

What is the Australian dream, in the above context?

I am inclined to think only some drugged fucked junkie would say that.

After writing that, I ventured to do some research on drugs and Australia and came up with “When it comes to drug use, Australians are world leaders”.

Wow!

Some people just can’t say “No” and it seems Australians are way up there. I had this discussion a couple of nights ago. It terrifies me that if I did partake I would probably turn out to be one of those people who became addicted to meth or something just as awful ending up with rotten teeth and living on the streets. Ugh! It is easier to say No.

Not only for that reason alone. I just don’t understand why people need artificial escapism.

Yes. Abstinence is easier than moderation.

Smoking crack for the cause huh? :teasing-smokingcrack:

I’m not into drugs, but most people are, if it’s not street drugs it’s coffee, cigarettes, alcohol, or so called ‘pharmaceutical’, ‘medicinal’ drugs…as if there was any meaningful difference between street drugs and many pharmaceuticals.
I heard 1 out of 4 go on anti-depressants at some point in their lives in North America, a statistic which’s likely comparable to Australia.
Many pharms can lead to ‘dependency’, or addiction, have loads of ‘side’, or negative effects, ranging from mild constipation-death, and can just as easily be used for recreational purposes, or for kicks, where as many street drugs are used to cope with anxiety, depression, pain, fatigue, insomnia, and on and on.
It’s all a big joke.
But the Australian dream has to be kept alive, and one of the prerequisites for that dream is that Australian suburban licit drug dependents are essentially different from illicit drug addicts…when they’re not, except semantically, they’re just ‘high functioning’ drug addicts in some cases, and in others, scarcely functioning themselves, but Suburban Australians know how to keep up appearances, alcohol and painkiller dependent mom is given an extra dose and is tucked away in the basement somewhere for the evening, when the guests come over.
She’s not feeling well, poor thing.
And occasionally Suburbanites get into illicit drugs too, but instead of grungy and grimy crack or meth, it’s glitzy and glamorous cocaine, mmm.

Vaporising weed for the cause. I’ve never smoked crack.

I do like this distinction between legal and illicit drugs, but is it really good enough when it comes to venial sin?

I shudder to use those words lol but venial mortal are dependent more on consequences than on morality.
More harm, less harm. Drugs to me are just plain stupid