I currently don’t have a soul

Half-formed posts, inchoate philosophies, and the germs of deep thought.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Re: I currently don’t have a soul

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:58 am

Just discovered this thread ... some really interesting/deep thoughts expressed.

Here's my intuitive reaction to what I just read.

A soul requires some kind of apparatus for transport in our physical world.

When we take a taxi somewhere we want to go ... we leave the taxi behind without thinking we left part of our-self behind.

OTH ... when some people invest in a very special auto and it eventually dies ... some people think a part of them died with it.:-)

What about snakes ...

Skin shedding in reptiles is different. ... Snakes shed their skin to allow for further growth and to remove parasites that may have attached to their old skin.

Maybe a soul sheds it's body to allow for further growth as well ... as in reincarnation?
"Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:40 am

Most people associate the concept of reincarnation with the Buddhist religion ONLY ... not so.

The NT includes the notion of reincarnation ... though it's not easy to perceive ... it's in the 'mist' of the resurrection story.

Mary Magdalene ... the first person to see the resurrected Jesus ... with whom she had a teacher/student ... guru/devotee ... some even say intimate ... relationship with did not recognize Him.

She thought he was the gardener ... so she had recognized the human(ness) of who she saw ... she recognized the male gender ... absolutely no indication of him being some divine being. Yet she did not recognize her "Rabbini" ... didn't even recognize his voice! The resurrected Jesus was in a different body ... ergo: reincarnation.

The imagery and language is clear in the Gospel of John Chapter 20 Verses 14-15

When she had said this to them she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not know that it was Jesus. Jesus said to her "Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you looking for? Supposing him to be the gardener, she said to him. Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him and I will take him away."
"Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby Ierrellus » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:45 pm

If you are capable of displaying empathy and compassion, you have a soul.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:11 pm

Ierrellus wrote:If you are capable of displaying empathy and compassion, you have a soul.

Yet another subtle profundity Ierrellus !!

You have just revealed the appropriate metrics for the measurement of progress to a higher consciousness.

Given these 2 metrics humanity has made woefully little progress.

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:17 am

The ladder to heaven is empathy and compassion ... LOVE is the fruit of empathy and compassion ... or the seed?

Don't misunderstand me ... this planet is "heaven" ... not some unknown space up in the sky.

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Previous

Return to The Sandbox