The Age of Aquarius

Half-formed posts, inchoate philosophies, and the germs of deep thought.

Moderator: Only_Humean

The Age of Aquarius

Postby WendyDarling » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:03 am

Has this new age started? Is it the age of evil? Some say the age of pisces was Jesus' age, but that is over, Christianity is over, God is dead. What say you?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Re: The Age of Aquarius

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:19 am

WendyDarling wrote:Has this new age started?

You know my feelings about this question "Fire Rooster" :D

A quick look see ... via Google ... suggests there remains substantial controversy ... despite the lyrics of the song "Age of Aquarius" being crystal clear on this question. :-)

WendyDarling wrote:Is it the age of evil?

I'll let you know when the age is over. :D

At the moment this question seems analogous to the question I posed to Phyllo in another OP yesterday ... "Is the current state of humanity auspicious or threatening?"

WendyDarling wrote:Some say the age of pisces was Jesus' age,

Some say the birth of Jesus marked the beginning of the 6th day ... implying the 7th day ... the day of rest ... would begin at the end of the 6th day.

WendyDarling wrote:but that is over, Christianity is over

WD ... is an 'age' ever really over? I see an 'age' more as a permanent "stepping stone" ... with each 'stepping stone' bringing humanity one step closer to a "face to face" encounter with God ... Teillard's Omega Point theory. In this way the current generation ... at any given time ... is not required to reinvent what was learned from past 'stepping stones'.

WendyDarling wrote: God is dead.

In a way ... He always has been ... He has never been "seen" by anyone ... you described the "seeing" of God eloquently in a recent post ...
To God, the kiss of His remains the same. You may idealize it in other ways, but its purpose does not change, only you may.
"Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:26 am

tom asked
"Is the current state of humanity auspicious or threatening?"

Both tom. O:)
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:56 am

WendyDarling wrote:tom asked
"Is the current state of humanity auspicious or threatening?"

Both tom. O:)

WD ... if you are right ... and I hope you are ... the philosophical notion of "Unity of Opposites" may be on the horizon ... perhaps even short term horizon. :-)
"Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:01 am

Unity of opposites like the infinity sign or a mobius strip?

Btw, bad year for a real Fire Rooster. That's what the Chinese say.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:09 am

WendyDarling wrote:Unity of opposites like the infinity sign or a mobius strip?

Just learned about the mobius strip ... fascinating ... thanks.

I understand the notion "Unity of Opposites" ... like the ancient Chinese philosophy "Reversion of Extremes" as two opposite natures coming together at some point to make one ... a union so to speak.

Both notions suggest continuous ... perpetual interaction ... like Yin Yang.

The excitement today is not simply a potential Unity of Opposites within the human community ... it's the unique and unprecedented scope and scale.

With recent break throughs in technology ... particularly in the area of connectivity and communications ... barriers that have existed for all human history have evaporated. Humanity may be poised for a tsunami like Unity of Opposites.

WendyDarling wrote:Btw, bad year for a real Fire Rooster. That's what the Chinese say.

If my comments above are correct ... your comment makes sense. A herald of such change will not be very popular. :-)

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby fuse » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:06 am

I don't think this will be controversial but I think the core of this new age centers on the effect and development of computers, automation, AI and our co-evolution or merging with this technology.

My concern is not so much the pace of technological advancement as it is a lack of development in other capacities, a lack of "care" and attunement.

Alain de Botton wrote:Certainly [the] tech that dazzles now (Google, Apple etc) will one day in the unimaginable future seem as quaint as the steam engine.

Such energy poured into technical fixes: speed, connectivity etc. So little into social fixes: purpose, community, kindness...

To my mind, evil is that which seduces man down a path that can only lead to profound misery.
I'd be interested in what other people might consider evil.

I don't think this is the age of evil in the sense that evil is any more present in us than before. Evil could be said to be ever lurking in our nature. The difference is that our technological means can be used to quantifiably more catastrophic ends. Such is the nature of great power, I suppose.

Galadriel wrote:The Quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little, and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while the Company is true.
fuse
Philosopher

Postby demoralized » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:08 am

WendyDarling wrote:Has this new age started? Is it the age of evil? Some say the age of pisces was Jesus' age, but that is over, Christianity is over, God is dead. What say you?

i think we want to have a hard set definition of the beginning of an age

i think astrological ages occur in a time period that is much longer than humans perceive well

another question is "how much more are we in the age of aquarius than the previous age?" i think they go backwards for the ages as opposed to monthly signs, but i forget

i don't know
formerly incorrect
formally
demoralized
Thinker

Postby WendyDarling » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:10 am

Biology is far superior to technology. Why would a superior being want to merge with an inferior being? This question has stopped me in my tracks. Help folks?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby demoralized » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:27 am

WendyDarling wrote:Biology is far superior to technology. Why would a superior being want to merge with an inferior being? This question has stopped me in my tracks. Help folks?

Does this not beg purpose?

You can play the repetitive parts and I'll improvise, or vice versa.

My superiority informs the inferior being, and vice versa

Do not forget the limitations of the physical realm. we become
formerly incorrect
formally
demoralized
Thinker

Postby WendyDarling » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:35 am

Where's the purpose? Am I missing something? If we are evolving all the time and we are able to reproduce humans who are our betters, then why the tech? Folks have children to better themselves, right?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby fuse » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:35 am

WendyDarling wrote:Biology is far superior to technology. Why would a superior being want to merge with an inferior being?

To me this is like saying: a human being is far superior to a clock. Why would anyone want to strap a watch to her wrist?
fuse
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:39 am

Out of laziness we do strap on the watch, right?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby demoralized » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:47 am

fuse wrote:
WendyDarling wrote:Biology is far superior to technology. Why would a superior being want to merge with an inferior being?

To me this is like saying: a human being is far superior to a clock. Why would anyone want to strap a watch to her wrist?

I agree
formerly incorrect
formally
demoralized
Thinker

Postby demoralized » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:48 am

WendyDarling wrote:Out of laziness we do strap on the watch, right?

I promise not to keep time if you promise to go to work on time for me :-)
formerly incorrect
formally
demoralized
Thinker

Postby WendyDarling » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:50 am

They Live Movie (1988)

Just watched this cult flick again and oh the irony is precious.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby fuse » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:58 am

WendyDarling wrote:Out of laziness we do strap on the watch, right?

I think the watch presents new possibilities that didn't exist before. But even if that case couldn't be made for a watch, it can surely be made for any number of other tools and technologies. So it isn't just laziness, but the desire to extend our capability and competency in new ways.

And laziness, too, can be a virtue. To conserve energy we look for more efficient ways to do things. Efficiency for efficiency's sake can be a soulless game, but efficiency for a purpose is just smart.
fuse
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:59 am

Speak of this purpose.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby fuse » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:02 am

Tomorrow (later).
fuse
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:07 am

If a machine does your thinking, how has your competency increased? If you don't use it, you lose it? Is this true? What aspects of society aren't manufactured garbage?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby WendyDarling » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:32 am

The governments, religions, sciences, and the medias are corrupt. The Earth is dying from pollution. People are suffering unnecessarily due to greed. People have a whole lot of bottled up crazy going on. Family structures are in ruins. Murder rates are up. Suicide rates are up. Where's the silver lining folks? Am I a pessimist or a realist, I'm some kind of 'ist' for that is required today?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby WendyDarling » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:44 am

fuse wrote
I don't think this is the age of evil in the sense that evil is any more present in us than before.

Violence is on the rise in every manner, if that's not evil, what is it? Maybe it's a mindset of greater mistrust? Less restraint?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Pandora » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:29 am

Looks like not for another 500 or so years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkQHrca9rtg
Pandora
Philosopher

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:45 pm

This is the age of cunty block on facebook because you hurt their feelings. It's not loving, it's tyrannical. This is the age of confusion.
building a better future
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
the Grandmother.

Postby demoralized » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:58 am

WendyDarling wrote:Unity of opposites like the infinity sign or a mobius strip?

Btw, bad year for a real Fire Rooster. That's what the Chinese say.

Assuming 2/22 2:01, i am 45 hours behind i think
formerly incorrect
formally
demoralized
Thinker

Next

Return to The Sandbox