Human Progress

What is driving human progress? Is it fear? Is it deep seated self-love? Maybe self-pity? A sense of pride and confidence? Is it greed? Why are humans so restless? Where are we rushing to, or what are we running away from? Why is there never enough for us?

You left out a very important drive, curiosity. That right there probably started technology. Can I find a different,better, easier thing or way?

[quote=“Pandora”]
What is driving human progress? Is it fear? Is it deep seated self-love? Maybe self-pity? A sense of pride and confidence? Is it greed? Why are humans so restless? Where are we rushing to, or what are we running away from? Why is there never enough for us?

World population and world population growth rates may point to some answers.

Karen Armstrong’s opening sentence in her book “The Great Transformation” is …

“Perhaps every generation believes that it has reached a turning point in history, but our problems seem particularly intractable and our future increasingly uncertain. Many of our difficulties mask a deeper spiritual crisis.”

Using the SWAG analysis technique, one could make compelling arguments that one generation in particular may become known as the most prolific change agent in human history … the generation known as the “baby boomers”. Of course, one must also admit that the fruit was ripe for the picking.

1. Let me suggest a time frame for the generation known as the ‘baby boomers’ … birth only … 1946 to 1976. Perhaps 30 years is a bit long for a single generation … for the SWAG technique it’s acceptable.

2. Here the scope for the baby boomer generation is global versus the more common reference to the USA.

3. Much of this generation will still be with us for another 15-30 years.

The world’s population between 1946 and 1976 … grew about 1.7 billion … a staggering 75%.

The red line in the following graph speaks volumes … more graphs and data can be found here … ourworldindata.org/world-population-growth/

In 1976 there were no personal computers, virtually no email and no cell phones.

I think all of these are true

Also that picture is really cool. I wish it was bigger, I would make it my computer background

I suppose intrigue mixed with order/cleanliness is driving this decision. I don’t know if its progress

Curiosity and a desire to solve existing problems is what drives human progress
just like it always has and always will too right up until the machines take over

???

reminds me of the NT comment … paraphrasing … you people are like white washed tombs … all nice and clean and proper on the outside … on the inside …

plausible … yet … provable?

Can anyone claim … with any degree of certainty … that “existing problems” were not created to lead humanity in a certain direction?

Reminds me of St Augustine … “Lord, you provide the pricks to move me in the direction you want me to go.”

Lots of “carrot and stick” strategies throughout human history.

Most of technological progress is done by companies driven by greed (profit) and competition. But what I see they primarily feed on is human laziness.

Adam Smith … considered the father of modern capitalism had a vision … capitalism would lead to the efficient allocation of scarce resources and the trickle down effect would benefit the poorest of the poor … the marginalized … the disenfranchised and so on.

Here we are a couple of centuries later lamenting the state of our eco system … “goodness” is difficult to harness and control … greed seeps in.

Deng Xiaoping … the man credited with opening China once said … a little greed is OK. Seems Western greed empowered what is often referred to as the Chinese miracle. A few decades later the West is lamenting the resurgence of China and the Chinese peoples.

Chief Seattle may have been more prophetic than all the Biblical prophets put together when in 1854 or so he said … “Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste.”

What I see is more … the blind leading the blind.