attention

I don’t have a care for it. I find myself having difficulty paying attention for extended periods of time. I am not interested, I will not follow an argument that “needs to be” long.

There is a concept on the internet of TL;DR. I see a post that is longer than (insert arbitrary amount here based on my mood) words, and I will just ignore it (or maybe skim it looking for words that stand out).

In the world of the internet, where reading is the slow way to learn things, and “Googling” things and pressing “Ctrl+F” to find things… I feel like the idea of attention is changing.

Very often people need to sleep on things. People still learn slowly… I learn a tiny bit today, and tomorrow I will be a little bit better at it. A particularly motivated person may be able to absorb more information

I feel like the attention of the average person (or rather, the need to have attention) is declining.

A few questions:

Where attention is declining, how do we spark enough interest to get people to read the details?
How do we formulate and phrase ideas, arguments, in a manner that is small enough to be accepted by people, thereby making some measure of progress?

There is no drive when access to too much is present. Does this make sense? If not I will elaborate.

IMHO … your instinct has merit!

Crudely stated … “bullshit baffles brains”

More politely stated … the law of diminishing returns … at some point more data equals less clarity

Books are the answer to short attention span. They are better for slow deep learning simply because there
is no distraction. The internet is less good because everything that you are not reading is just a click away

I noticed this too. Art, media, and ILP posts are getting repetitive, people are becoming bored and losing interest in reading the same repetitive ideas over and over. Youll notice i never write a long thesis of why the DNA machine must be made, I make simple statements like “DNA machine must be made” because it should be obvious at this point, why it should be made.

Books are boring as hell. Most of them are made by efffete ego obsessed narcissists. They think their shit is gold.

One of the reasons I havent authored a book is because i feel i would be contributing to this nihilism shitfest mess of book overpopulation. I want my book to be insanely amazing, one of the ways to make my book worth something is to use offensive memes politically incorrect or unpopular ideas and tread where no book dares to tread, exploring all manner of inconvienient or innappropriate truths.