who are you?

Half-formed posts, inchoate philosophies, and the germs of deep thought.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Re: who are you?

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:35 am

Ierrellus wrote:Within these parameters of experience one can describe where one is by what one is doing.

For me ... yet another "gem" Ierrellus ... keep them coming!

Let me try to illustrate my 'gut reaction' ...

With keen observation and intuition perhaps one can also describe where "others" are ... vis a vis the three stages you mentioned.

Individuation ... by far the most populous category ... especially among adults. How many adults continue to "lean" on others ... be it political leaders ... religious leaders ... philosophers ... heroes ... family. How many adults remain incapable of standing on their own and taking responsibility for their personal/individual thoughts, decisions, actions, feelings and so on.

Metamorphosis ... empirical evidence consistently confirms the existence of incredible levels of metamorphosis within one lifetime. Though for most adults the changes are subtle and often go (un)noticed ... like the chick developing inside the egg ... we can't see the changes taking place. Using the egg and chick metaphor again ... at the end of the chick's metamorphosis ... the becoming of a living chick ... the chick must personally/individually contribute to the process ... the chick must break through the egg shell.

Synthesis ... a level of maturity that defies description ... something the very few that reach this level tell us themselves.
"Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:14 pm

pilgrim_tom wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:Within these parameters of experience one can describe where one is by what one is doing.

With keen observation and intuition perhaps one can also describe where "others" are ... vis a vis the three stages you mentioned.

Individuation ... by far the most populous category ... especially among adults. How many adults continue to "lean" on others ... be it political leaders ... religious leaders ... philosophers ... heroes ... family. How many adults remain incapable of standing on their own and taking responsibility for their personal/individual thoughts, decisions, actions, feelings and so on.

Metamorphosis ... empirical evidence consistently confirms the existence of incredible levels of metamorphosis within one lifetime. Though for most adults the changes are subtle and often go (un)noticed ... like the chick developing inside the egg ... we can't see the changes taking place. Using the egg and chick metaphor again ... at the end of the chick's metamorphosis ... the becoming of a living chick ... the chick must personally/individually contribute to the process ... the chick must break through the egg shell.

Synthesis ... a level of maturity that defies description ... something the very few that reach this level tell us themselves.

Yes, but can you understand how all three categories can describe one event. For instance DNA creates the physical conditions for an egg to become a baby. There is already on this physical level of existence a this which must interact with a that--the egg and its environment; and there is a synthesis of food and body.
The three categories are a trinity. On the primary level of operations, we can describe the growth and development of organisms. On another level we can describe the growth and development of organizations, countries, cultures, religions --all memetic conditions. That is to say activities of both gene and meme can be described using these categories.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:53 pm

Ierrellus wrote:
pilgrim_tom wrote:

Yes, but can you understand how all three categories can describe one event. For instance DNA creates the physical conditions for an egg to become a baby. There is already on this physical level of existence a this which must interact with a that--the egg and its environment; and there is a synthesis of food and body.
The three categories are a trinity. On the primary level of operations, we can describe the growth and development of organisms. On another level we can describe the growth and development of organizations, countries, cultures, religions --all memetic conditions. That is to say activities of both gene and meme can be described using these categories.

Ierrellus ... for me ... and perhaps only me ... you describe the dialectic "Unity of Opposites" ... ergo ... ONENESS
"Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:23 pm

Who Am I?

Maybe the answer to that question is as complex as the answer is to Who is God.

At first glance, what comes to me is I am an observer.

After that, I see things as I go along in life...ebbing and flowing.

Doesn't answer your question though, does it?
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Previous

Return to The Sandbox