What makes genius?

What are your thoughts on what constitutes genius? Is it a moniker applied to a person’s lifetime sustained by unconventional inspiration leading to new discoveries? Is it an inspired moment everyone is gifted with at some point?

You can be a general genius or a subject genius. You can also have a genius moment or time. A person that has been designated retarded or severely mentally handicapped can have what is called a stroke of genius. A genius idea is not restricted to types of people.

It’s in the outcomes.

Immediate outcomes trump eventual outcomes?

Why the distinction? Wouldn’t the best immediate ones lead to the best long term ones?

No.

I think they would.

Is this supposed naivete an act by one of your many participants who are themselves under your guise? Nuclear energy is one example of the best becoming less so and that’s putting it mildly.

In regards to creative genius:

http://ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=190489

Onus to the future over self-indulgence in the present.

Maybe a creative idea does not convince the one having it that it is his own unless others tell him so, almost as if the person doesn’t feel deserving of greatness in their own right so they must share it with everyone who will reflect this greatness that they themselves cannot justly perceive. If this is true, it is very sad. I am happy just to dream and remember. I would like to create only what is needed, but in this world of wreckless, creative overabundance, my desire wanes.

What about the genius(s) who discovered genetic engineering … the technique has given us lots of beautiful and colourful fruits, vegetables and so on … yet … the jury is still out on the long term impact of this scientific break through on our health.

I heard many years ago that a Hungarian scientist claimed … paraphrasing … the human species is driving itself crazy and it doesn’t know it. His theory is based on the simple yet factual premise that the human digestive system cannot evolve fast enough to absorb the rapidly changing food chain … as a result of genetic engineering(GMO foods), chemical fertilizers and pesticides etc.

For example … we eat a tomato today … when our stomach examines the molecules of the digested tomato it asks … is this a tomato or a fish? Apparently many years ago arctic char genes were woven into the tomato plant genes … to expand the tomato plant’s tolerance for cold weather … an early frost.

Man’s messing with Nature always has severe consequences. Every time Man tries to control rather than befriend Nature, Nature takes a bite out of Man. Man continues his arrogance and another chunk goes missing. Nature doesn’t apologize or try to make amends.

What about the genius(s) underpinning the Industrial Revolution … how much of our planet’s damage … air quality and water quality can be traced back to the fathers of the Industrial Revolution. How much of our social ills have the same fountain as their source?

Pilgrim wrote

Curious about your answer Pilgrim ( :smiley: ) since I feel there is a strong one that I will enjoy reading?

Hey, the threat of nuclear war has saved more lives than the 2 bombs in Japan took. So how is that bad?

What about the meltdowns that go unreported never mind the “clean” effects of this energy source? You enjoy poison?

How do you know that this isn’t the best of all the possible alternatives?

Long term consequences. Isn’t there the idea of tried and true in practice anymore which would be implemented before large scale, Earth altering projects are unleashed?

I’m willing to give up creature comforts to save whats left from Scientific retardation. I’ll live like it’s 1899.

Ocean Wind Turbines OMG such a retarded idea!

How tried and true does it have to be? Nuclear power is a pretty well established way to create electricity. What alternative would you suggest? Coal? Natural gas? Water? And how can you know what long term consequences are without speculating?

Profit over price is what science promotes.