Like a moth to a flame?

I have a theory about this; moths don’t fly into candle flames due to some mystical reason, it is because they have limited vision, and a light is akin to an opening of a cave or cavity, as viewed from the inside?

You know there have been candles lit and moths around… Not one moth ever flew to the flame, now lightbulbs, yes.
When humans first introduced flame as a light source moths probably did go to it.
I can see your idea as probable. The other would be a heat source, you do not see a lot of moths or butterfly’s in the shade except in high summer.

good point, it possibly senses colour variation as flame, but a cave opening is just high contrast whiteness ~ more akin to a bulb.

Yea, but most moths have never been in a cave or born in one. Unless you consider a cocoon a cave. Ooh, interesting possibilities…too tired to go in coherent depth.

yes, any cavity where moths end up in would suffice imho. :slight_smile:

• it could be a birthing instinct too, cave n all that lol.

Might be interesting to track light dark behaviors of creatures born with eyes sealed shut and those born with immediate sight. Though I am not sure where to place marsupials.