Obsessions To Addictions

Do you see habitual as obsessive or other? By habitual I mean a person that stick to patterns without thought or conscious intent.

The studies where the brain decides before we consciously do, doesn’t take into account, in terms of free will, that we encode those responses of our own volition into our autonomic responses

Kris wrote

Obsessive thoughts lead to negative emotions which must be physically enacted into an addiction to alleviate the intensity of the negative emotions tied to those ever-pressing thoughts. Habitual as in poorly inspired actions that grow to be automatic or habitual as in positively inspired actions that grow to be automatic?

Aah not true, obsessive thoughts do not always lead to negative. There are obsessions that are very positive and needed. Parents/grandparents, educators(not teachers), true civil servants.

Mind explaining an obsessive thinking civil servant?

I’m not catching your drift.

Obsessiveness is on a spectrum so not all obsessive thoughts will result in the scenario you describe
It is possible to have obsessive thoughts that do not have to be physically enacted into an addiction

Examples help.

There are people from the time they were kids that knew the service they wanted to be in and worked towards that branch of civil service. Firemen, police, EMT, teacher, military, doctor. I would include lawyers and politicians but, welll while as kids they generally truly want to help society by the time they reach their goal power corrupts the good intentions of the child.

I am addicted to breaking addictions. For this I need to get addicted to everything.

Kris,

A career path is a goal rather than an obsession so long as the career has the potential to exist. Without that potential that it could happen it crosses over into obsession. Usually an obsession is a desire that has little if any potential to become a reality.

i have to disagree. Have you ever met someone who does not waver from that path? The person is obsessed by the need to reach that goal. They are driven. We could or rather should put sports in here too. Being the best at a sport is an obsession compared to one who just enjoys the sport or competing.
The degree of drive is like a speedometer of zero to obsessed. A non wavering , life is the goal, get there and only there is obsession. It is hoarding your life to collect that prize. We do not normally think that way because obsession has been turned into a negative by how it is normally used now.

Thereby losing touch with reality in the process of that obsessive goal which supercedes a rational being (F. U. alt. sp.) ever developing.
The “at all costs” swings into full effect and…

For some of obsessed yes but, not all. Another positive example: parents. There are parents that give their kids their all. Yes there are those that go wrong but, not all. Those parents that work several jobs to provide for their kids, that spend all spare time for their kids. We think of these obsessed parents as just being good parents. We do not apply the word obsessed because that word has been turned negative.

Kris,

:-k On account of our disagreement aren’t a few ad homs mandatory around here? The two of us are being way too civil. :evilfun:

Yes you are quite right, that does seem to be the standard :-k we might be setting a good example and that might be forbidden :slight_smile: Care to start? I don’t have enough coffee in me yet to be colorful :evilfun:

I do recall posters started censoring themselves a couple of years back when they realised that minors were around and had registered on the site, but others stated that this was an adult site and therefore shouldn’t be prone to pg sensibilities, but the pg aware brigade prevailed, and the site became self-censoring… until now :evilfun:

I agree and I do believe most of those are minors. An escape. Can’t be horrible in real life but, online I can be and be anonymous. No real discipline or control. Sock puppeting is a useful tool for expression of being bad bad and antisocial to a point. What these antisocial young do not understand is that being on any public site or maybe any site, means they want acceptance and be social. You think any will grasp this???

I am the opposite… can be horrible in real life but, online can’t be… I guess actions not words make me mad with people that are supposed to care… care about people they choose to be around.

Some may grasp it, some may not… those who don’t probably don’t have enough social skills to know any better, so they either learn as they go along or feel the wrath of the online enemies they are making by not learning. Is that how you see it?

Pretty much and yet sock puppeting provides a fresh start , yet so many do not see that personality in writing shows up. Habits.

No minors on heere, there was UglyGirl but she was 17, legal in Canada. This is a philosophy boards, not a pizza store.

Mannequin may have the voice of an autistic child but he is like 27 or so.