Resolving Moral Nihilism

The distribution and understanding of conflicting and supportive values limit our perspectives to the certain reality we create for ourselves. Although there is no such thing as absolute certainty of objectivity, there will always be meaning, value and determination. That all too familiar state of absurdity renders our systems useless when we approach Moral Nihilism. The will to power, to me anyways, produces nihilism in the realization of value-power. There is no right way, only systems of values that are seemingly ‘right’ or ‘good’ because of their overall influence, longevity and strength. For what the latter constitutes, I am not certain; it could possibly be the depth, complexity or logic of any value system that proceeds to innovate for a vast amount of time, for a vast amount of people or both. But what does willing your value system over another simialr or different system really accomplish? Does a moral decision really hold any truth? The will to power defeating nihilism is a paradox, but after all, does nihilism not produce a paradox of its own? If the only objective ‘truth’ is absolute subjectivity, does this contradiction logically collapse? Or with the consideration of influence and will, does willing value(s) accomplish little against realizing the impossibility of certainty and absolute ‘goodness’?

I have maintained skepticism in regards to both moral issues for which I do not extensively worry myself over. Morality and Ethics is not as troubling to me in comparison to the other faculties of philosophy which interest me most. Digression into the philosophies of logic, language and phenomenalism are much more fascinating than these bitter dilemmas of moral valuing. But here, inside this crude pit of confusion and contradiction, I maintain a doubt, a question, an inquiry, that I hope someone out there could engage in. The questions above should be considered but not elaborated because this is not the focus of the issue. I do not want this to turn into a thread about Nihilism, on the contrary, a thread about defeating it-or perhaps affirming-through the careful consideration and serious inquiry into the matter of main concern. If we could find middle ground between the extremes of completely denying or affirming Nihilism, we should have a personal resolution to this dilemma. The matter of main concern has to do with existence; specifically the existence of value, meaning and determination.

I have read a Kantian acceptance for the state of existence. I was waiting for Godot when I came upon this doubt. The Moral Nihilism poisoning my mind, a different poison than value itself, birthed a revaluation of how Kant replied to those Ontological arguments founded for the bias of God and religious dogma. I am in no way religious and would first lay down my biases in order to present this doubt reasonably. I know if we were to agree with a new interpretation of Kantian existence, we would also have to reevaluate all the boring, nonsensical, dogmatic Ontology. The prolific utterance of Kant, “existence is not a predicate”, limited Ontology and agreeably so. But when I face this Moral dilemma over and over, I wonder whether the existence of values and meaning, and the influential wills which accompany them, hold predication in their existence.

1. Is existence something we do or something we are?

2)Is existence something an object does or is it something it is?

1. Is existence something a concept does or something it is?

2. Is existence something values do or is it something they are?

3. Is existence something the will to power does or something it is?

4. If say, both being and becoming is existence, does existence succeed predication?

I have only been on this site four weeks and I have realized now, I can’t mess with the big dogs. Posts like this one really demonstrate my philosophical immaturity. From now on, most if not all of my posts will go to the Sandbox. Most of my ideas are half-formed or full of doubt for which I can use this forum for personalized discussion. Hopefully these questions can be cleary answered which I’m assuming will be easy for this site’s daily users.

Actually, post’s like this show you are a better
philosopher than most here…
philosophers don’t have answers, we just have questions.
We are defined by how we approach these questions…

Kropotkin

Moral nihilism or skepticism is an inevitable consequence of the absence of morality in the world and universe. Pretty simple to understand really.

K: and what is morality?

Kropotkin

You being the typical moral humanist drinking the Koolaid should be more than capable of already knowing the answer to that question. Why waste my time with such? :wink:

K: mainly because I don’t think you have a clue what morality is!!!
and I don’t drink Koolaid because it is bad for my health…

Kropotkin

Alright, let’s go with a simplified example of your humanist ideology, shall we?

Morality: There exists an objective state of right, wrong, good, and evil. Your turn Peter. :wink:

Your up next being that I answered your question.

Existence is not a predicate.

K: your wording is a little confusing…Is this objective state of right and wrong, good and evil
supposed to be me or is it your statement?

Kropotkin

That’s not a vague ambiguous statement at all. :sunglasses:

That’s the opposite of moral nihilism, is it not? Moral universalism?

Come on Peter, you’re the one here arguing against moral nihilism and skepticism which is my position.

I am not going to argue for you against my very own position. Give me something that I can work with concerning an actual debate. You do know how to hold a philosophical debate, don’t you?

HA: Alright, let’s go with a simplified example of your humanist ideology, shall we?

Morality: There exists an objective state of right, wrong, good, and evil. Your turn Peter. :wink:

Your up next being that I answered your question.
[/quote]
K: your wording is a little confusing…Is this objective state of right and wrong, good and evil
supposed to be me or is it your statement?

Kropotkin
[/quote]
That’s the opposite of moral nihilism, is it not? Moral universalism?

Come on Peter, you’re the one here arguing against moral nihilism and skepticism which is my position.

I am not going to argue for you against my very own position. Give me something that I can work with concerning an actual debate. You do know how to hold a philosophical debate, don’t you?
[/quote]
K: I am trying to understand where you are right now…
OK, let us try this… I shall give you my position and you give me
yours and then we can begin to understand each other…

I don’t actually believe in an absolute right or wrong, an absolute
good and evil…My moral position is really just situational ethics…
We adapt moral positions to the situation. Is it right or wrong?
depends on the situation…Pick a situation and I can create
both a right and wrong about it… Murder, the absolute crime…
It is an absolute wrong but we must allow police officers to defend
themselves so if they happen to kill someone while defending themselves,
well that’s ok then…If I am attacked and in defending myself, I kill
someone, is not considered to be morally wrong, the act of murder,
it becomes something else, self defense…oftentimes intent dictates
whether a crime has been committed, whether murder is self defense or
murder, right or wrong is decided by intent… this is situational ethics
at its best… There is no right or wrong, no good or evil. It is simply
us, in a situation…and depending on the situation and how it is resolved
decides whether it becomes right or wrong, good or evil…
No absolute morality…

Your turn… don’t attack me yet, give me your description of morals

Kropotkin

Who thinks that objective morality does not depend on the situation???

Nihilism is the result of a chemical process.

We live in an object oriented universe, exactly the right configuration and combination of “stuff” is needed for sublimity. After prolonged periods of lacking this configuration, clawed minds desperate decide that no configuration exists.

Nihilism/Moral nihilism arises from a chemical depletion of certain energies, as well as a perception of time where events are pondered as ephemeral and meaningless.

Nihilism feels valid to the perceiver, just as Non-nihilism feels valid to the perceiver.

Nihilism can be defeated with the simple parable of the foot - Which would you choose - a button that made your foot on fire for a very long time, or a button that gave you foot sex for a very long time?

The illusion of Nihilism suddenly disappears.

K: Objective morality means that regardless of the situation, the
morality will remain the same… Though shall not commit adultery,
and yet depending on the situation, one might commit adultery, but
if you follow objective morality, there is no situation that allow for
adultery…
but the real problem is this, what is the basis for objective morality?
you have to base your morality on something and on what do you base
objective morality on?

Kropotkin

It doesn’t mean that it’s independent of the situation. It means that in a given situation, there is a right and wrong way to evaluate.

For example, cannibalism is considered wrong expect in extreme situations when people are starving.

So, that means there is no situation that can arise where adultery is right. That’s not true for every moral decision/question.

Generally it’s based on attempting to minimize the suffering of humans.

I think that when HaHaHa says “moral universalism” he does not mean to say that morality is not situational but that one’s own biological type/identity does not have impact on deciding what is moral and what is not.

What could be more clear?

I don’t classify vague or ambiguous one liners as much of a philosophical argument whatsoever Faust.

You’re suppose to be the smart one around here. I need you to wow or impress me more than that.

Convince me of your argument. :wink: