What Of Your Essence?

Half-formed posts, inchoate philosophies, and the germs of deep thought.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Re: What Of Your Essence?

Postby WendyDarling » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:55 am

Insight please regarding those un-examined quotes. :D
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Pneumatic-Coma » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:29 am

They need not be examined. They're the most basic of quotes about life and it's essence from the top tier philosophers, Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle.
Ego sum via veritas et vita;Amesha Spenta;Vohu Mano;Joan of Arc, Ezekiel, and Thomas Aquinas;Behold, Pragmatism, Policy, and Proof-For those who need direction, allow my words of advice be enough guidance in this senseless world;There's still are those who remain in touch with the Galactic Directory, able to request and fulfill actions to help stop the Rot of Civilization:Zarathushtra Spitama-Thales-Heraclitus-Socrates-Meton of Athens-Plato-Diotima of Mantinea-Aristotle-Pythagoras-Pericles-Marcus Tullius Cicero-Claudius Ptolemy-Marcus Aurelius-Lucian- Hypatia-Niccolò Machiavelli-Benedito de Espinosa-Sir Isaac Newton-Voltaire-Jean-Jacques Rousseau-Immanuel Kant-Thomas Paine-John Locke-Henry David Thoreau-Florence Nightingale-Mahatma Gandhi-Peter G Bergmann-Petra Herrera-Oppenheimer-Jimmy Hoffa-Frank Sinatra-Pope Saint John Paul II-Elvis Aaron Presley-George Carlin-Martin Luther King Jr.-Jim Morrison-Aafia Siddiqui-Tupac-Asmaa Mahfouz-John Nash-Joaquin Guzman :shock: :arrow: :-$
Pneumatic-Coma

Postby WendyDarling » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:13 pm

Did you intentionally put your own spin on them or was there error there?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby gib » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:46 pm

Pneumatic-Coma wrote:They need not be examined. They're the most basic of quotes about life and it's essence from the top tier philosophers, Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle.

Blindly following the authorities, huh? That is the last thing a true philosopher should do. Philosophy is all about examination--even when at face value the idioms in question seem self-evident.

For example:

"The noblest of all studies is the study of what man/women is, and of what life they've lived."

Are we so sure? Many would argue that the noblest of all studies is what we should do, not what we are.

And who says the unexamined life is not worth living? Can't one live a full and rich life without examining it?

And what do you think a materialist would say about the energy of the mind being the essence of life itself?
My thoughts | My art | My music | My poetry

“Everyone is always like ‘how do you feel about feminism? how do you feel about feminism?’ and it’s like maybe I don’t wanna fucking talk about feminism, maybe I just wanna be a female producer, because it’s like even being a female producer is so rare it drives people fucking crazy. It’s like my sheer existence is like a political act, I think, to a lot of people. It’s not to me.”

- Claire Boucher
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Postby Pneumatic-Coma » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:55 am

gib wrote:Blindly following the authorities, huh? That is the last thing a true philosopher should do. Philosophy is all about examination--even when at face value the idioms in question seem self-evident.

Not entirely, the messages have trailed from past experiences. And to say those philosophers are authoritarian ...uuumm... no. They were teachers, possibly better educators than those of our modern day.

"The noblest of all studies is the study of what man/women is, and of what life they've lived."

gib wrote:Are we so sure? Many would argue that the noblest of all studies is what we should do, not what we are.

So who's ("the many") lol. Please read the whole entire quote of mines. "Of what men/women IS

gib wrote:And who says the unexamined life is not worth living? Can't one live a full and rich life without examining it?

Indeed one can live a life to the fullest with out investigation into deeper metaphysics of one's being. Yet this is only a metaphor I'm sure of it, I can't for a minute believe it's a dictum, come on. it appropriates that a life not researched is just that a life unknown and totally void of investigation, not to be worth living...

gib wrote:And what do you think a materialist would say about the energy of the mind being the essence of life itself?

I can't think for a materialist, yet I'd say to one... Just know what the mind holds, it's possibly the most dangerous weapon ever made. It's pure energy and functionality is more valuable than that of what materialistic people think is more important. knowledge is the basis for all arrangements...
Ego sum via veritas et vita;Amesha Spenta;Vohu Mano;Joan of Arc, Ezekiel, and Thomas Aquinas;Behold, Pragmatism, Policy, and Proof-For those who need direction, allow my words of advice be enough guidance in this senseless world;There's still are those who remain in touch with the Galactic Directory, able to request and fulfill actions to help stop the Rot of Civilization:Zarathushtra Spitama-Thales-Heraclitus-Socrates-Meton of Athens-Plato-Diotima of Mantinea-Aristotle-Pythagoras-Pericles-Marcus Tullius Cicero-Claudius Ptolemy-Marcus Aurelius-Lucian- Hypatia-Niccolò Machiavelli-Benedito de Espinosa-Sir Isaac Newton-Voltaire-Jean-Jacques Rousseau-Immanuel Kant-Thomas Paine-John Locke-Henry David Thoreau-Florence Nightingale-Mahatma Gandhi-Peter G Bergmann-Petra Herrera-Oppenheimer-Jimmy Hoffa-Frank Sinatra-Pope Saint John Paul II-Elvis Aaron Presley-George Carlin-Martin Luther King Jr.-Jim Morrison-Aafia Siddiqui-Tupac-Asmaa Mahfouz-John Nash-Joaquin Guzman :shock: :arrow: :-$
Pneumatic-Coma

Postby Pneumatic-Coma » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:59 am

Maniacal Mongoose wrote:Did you intentionally put your own spin on them or was there error there?

The information there was more easily obtainable lol sorry for the confusion. I thought it to be exceptionally evident... This being I Love PHILOSOPHY and all :lol:
Pneumatic-Coma

Postby WendyDarling » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:09 am

Why is power bestowed on those who try to skirt it? The eager are always chasing power. The skirters, those who fear their capabilities end up with it.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Pneumatic-Coma » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:24 am

Not true. Those who fear their own capabilities (and I've seen this too many times to count) have not that power to gain, cause they just can't, not having faith in their own capabilities to attain what power is available. Yet they are only eager, and continue to pursue, learning and accumulating more knowledge to have that capable faculty.
Pneumatic-Coma

Postby gib » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:59 am

Pneumatic-Coma wrote:Not entirely, the messages have trailed from past experiences. <-- Even that is subject to question by philosophy. And to say those philosophers are authoritarian ...uuumm... no. Apparently to you they are. They were teachers, possibly better educators than those of our modern day.

Which is well on the road to authoritarianism.

Pneumatic-Coma wrote:So who's ("the many") lol. What, you've never heard anyone argue that before? Please read the whole entire quote of mines. "Of what men/women IS

Presumably that would determine what we should do? Why not just say it directly? Otherwise, it would require examination.

Pneumatic-Coma wrote:Indeed one can live a life to the fullest with out investigation into deeper metaphysics of one's being. Yet this is only a metaphor I'm sure of it, For what? I can't for a minute believe it's a dictum, come on. Yeah, 'cause that would be outrageous. it appropriates that a life not researched is just that a life unknown and totally void of investigation, not to be worth living...

But if you agree that a life without investigation into the deeper metaphysics of one's being can still be full, then how is it not worth living?

Pneumatic-Coma wrote:I can't think for a materialist, yet I'd say to one... Just know what the mind holds, it's possibly the most dangerous weapon ever made. It's pure energy and functionality is more valuable than that of what materialistic people think is more important. knowledge is the basis for all arrangements...

Right, 'cause that would convince them that mind is more than just matter. The point isn't what you would argue, the point is that such a question doesn't need examination. You shouldn't have to argue anything.

“Everyone is always like ‘how do you feel about feminism? how do you feel about feminism?’ and it’s like maybe I don’t wanna fucking talk about feminism, maybe I just wanna be a female producer, because it’s like even being a female producer is so rare it drives people fucking crazy. It’s like my sheer existence is like a political act, I think, to a lot of people. It’s not to me.”

- Claire Boucher
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Postby WendyDarling » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:05 am

Pneumatic-Coma wrote:Not true. Those who fear their own capabilities (and I've seen this too many times to count) have not that power to gain, cause they just can't, not having faith in their own capabilities to attain what power is available. Yet they are only eager, and continue to pursue, learning and accumulating more knowledge to have that capable faculty.

Is true. Have you never met those who fear what they are capable of? Those who are pending further notice who feign weakness just to sidestep destiny? Tricky, tricky business it 'tis.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Pneumatic-Coma » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:07 am

gib wrote:Which is well on the road to authoritarianism.

UUUuuuhhh... Well I did say no... It's not enforcing any obedience into what is acceptable. Philosophers allowed us to think freely on our own self-will. Again, philosophers aren't at all authoritarian in my views.

gib wrote:Presumably that would determine what we should do? Why not just say it directly? Otherwise, it would require examination.

Once over this is a reason we really shouldn't presume things. See here, if you're confused on this, I will clarify and instill. Now, "The noblest of all studies is the study of what man/women is". This obviously entails that (i.e. man/women) no matter what form or shape, they become changed developing and adopting new ways of thinking and knowledge, by constant learning. So, whatever they be and their entire consistency of having learned from life, this is what is the noblest of all studies.

gib wrote:But if you agree that a life without investigation into the deeper metaphysics of one's being can still be full, then how is it not worth living?

LIKE I SAID, it's more of just a metaphor in my eyes...In other words it's not literal.

gib wrote:Right, 'cause that would convince them that mind is more than just matter. The point isn't what you would argue, the point is that such a question doesn't need examination. You shouldn't have to argue anything.

First off is the mind not more than matter anyhow?
Secondly, your questions are having to go over examination extensively. :lol:
Argumentation is just another "Authoritarian" or "Philosophical" discipline. There are rules to relativism. Further-more how does monism not hinder dualism. In this, allow me to ask, is not idealism and physicalism conflicted of one another being self-contradictory? With this I'd remain as pluralistic with all matter of life.
Pneumatic-Coma

Postby Pneumatic-Coma » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:12 am

Maniacal Mongoose wrote:
Pneumatic-Coma wrote:Not true. Those who fear their own capabilities (and I've seen this too many times to count) have not that power to gain, cause they just can't, not having faith in their own capabilities to attain what power is available. Yet they are only eager, and continue to pursue, learning and accumulating more knowledge to have that capable faculty.

Is true. Have you never met those who fear what they are capable of? Those who are pending further notice who feign weakness just to sidestep destiny? Tricky, tricky business it 'tis.

As I've stated... "Have not the power to gain" Are we speaking of the incapable or of the capable here, come on??? :lol:
Pneumatic-Coma

Postby WendyDarling » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:16 pm

The overly capable, the too qualified, prowess-based gifts galore in all lifetimes. The chosen. Ones who knew, remembered, this early on.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby gib » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:33 am

Pneumatic-Coma wrote:UUUuuuhhh... Well I did say no... It's not enforcing any obedience into what is acceptable. Philosophers allowed us to think freely on our own self-will. Again, philosophers aren't at all authoritarian in my views.

I didn't mean authoritarian in the political sense; I meant it in the pedagogic sense. You are treating them as authoritarian by saying their quotes need no examination or questioning--like they are the authorities on the matter and what they say is infallible.

Pneumatic-Coma wrote:Once over this is a reason we really shouldn't presume things. See here, if you're confused on this, I will clarify and instill. Now, "The noblest of all studies is the study of what man/women is". This obviously entails that (i.e. man/women) no matter what form or shape, they become changed developing and adopting new ways of thinking and knowledge, by constant learning. So, whatever they be and their entire consistency of having learned from life, this is what is the noblest of all studies.

You're explaining what the quote means but not that it's true (let alone self-evidently true).

Pneumatic-Coma wrote:LIKE I SAID, it's more of just a metaphor in my eyes...In other words it's not literal.

And like I asked: what is it a metaphor for?

Pneumatic-Coma wrote:First off is the mind not more than matter anyhow?

Not self-evidently so... otherwise, there wouldn't be materialists.

Argumentation is just another "Authoritarian" or "Philosophical" discipline. <-- I'm not sure what this means. There are rules to relativism. Further-more how does monism not hinder dualism. In this, allow me to ask, is not idealism and physicalism conflicted of one another being self-contradictory? <-- What do you mean by "self-contradictory"? Sure they conflict with each other, but to be self-contradictory? With this I'd remain as pluralistic with all matter of life.

- Claire Boucher
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Postby Pneumatic-Coma » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:27 am

gib wrote:I didn't mean authoritarian in the political sense; I meant it in the pedagogic sense. You are treating them as authoritarian by saying their quotes need no examination or questioning--like they are the authorities on the matter and what they say is infallible.

Awe, well I understand what you mean here. So by that, it's just that they were gifted in the teaching that were surrounded entirely on scientific facts and indisputable evidence. So...

gib wrote:
Pneumatic-Coma wrote:Once over this is a reason we really shouldn't presume things. See here, if you're confused on this, I will clarify and instill. Now, "The noblest of all studies is the study of what man/women is". This obviously entails that (i.e. man/women) no matter what form or shape, they become changed developing and adopting new ways of thinking and knowledge, by constant learning. So, whatever they be and their entire consistency of having learned from life, this is what is the noblest of all studies.

You're explaining what the quote means but not that it's true (let alone self-evidently true).

Well from what it actually means, isn't self-evident at all? Now if it's true isn't my whole thesis. Yet I was trying to clarify that for you my apologies. "Presumably that would determine what we should do? Why not just say it directly? Otherwise, it would require examination." Yet, you did only want it directly otherwise it would require examination.

gib wrote:
Pneumatic-Coma wrote:LIKE I SAID, it's more of just a metaphor in my eyes...In other words it's not literal.

And like I asked: what is it a metaphor for?

Are you trying to exacerbate this? "it appropriates that a life not researched is just that, a life unknown and totally void of investigation, isn't worth living..."

Pneumatic-Coma wrote:First off is the mind not more than matter anyhow?

Not self-evidently so... otherwise, there wouldn't be materialists.

=D> Touche

Argumentation is just another "Authoritarian" or "Philosophical" discipline. <-- I'm not sure what this means. There are rules to relativism. Further-more how does monism not hinder dualism. In this, allow me to ask, is not idealism and physicalism conflicted of one another being self-contradictory? <-- What do you mean by "self-contradictory"? Sure they conflict with each other, but to be self-contradictory? With this I'd remain as pluralistic with all matter of life.

Well that's what i thought, I thought we were speaking of philosophers as being authoritarian. All that need to be clarified as well I guess :lol: . Yet Argumentation is just another study or discipline am I wrong??

Self-contradictory in that they totally contradict each self. It's more of them not being to exist without the other in life, both being an understatement of the other in other words. So, forgive me here, but i think I explained this just now... [-o<

Also to suggest you Sir Gib didn't answer the question accordingly :lol:

It's intelligent to ask questions though... That's from where I obtain all my best material.
Pneumatic-Coma

Postby Pneumatic-Coma » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:44 am

Maniacal Mongoose wrote:For the sake of this thread, essence is your nature.

I'm sticking to this... :lol:
Pneumatic-Coma

Postby WendyDarling » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:46 am

What's your alternative? :-k :lol:
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Pneumatic-Coma » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:21 am

To have NOT identified an unclear or not understandable enough conclusion of honest validity.
Pneumatic-Coma

Postby WendyDarling » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:10 am

:confusion-seeingstars:
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby fuse » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:11 am

joyful » I'm pretty positive by nature, goofy and ecstatic, and it shows when I feel comfortable
sensitive » in the social and psychological sense, I pick up on a lot and am acutely aware
a total aesthete » I love the subtleties of experience and art
competitive » thrown into any game or challenge, I'll almost always rise to the occasion
perfectionist » high standards and am loathe to make mistakes
guarded » discouragement and disappointment raise a lot of caution and barriers within me
curious » I was a very curious kid, but I think I have become jaded with age, school, and social conditioning
fuse
Philosopher

Postby fuse » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:31 pm

Maniacal Mongoose wrote:Everyone here, well most everyone, knows that I believe in an eternal soul which in this thread I equate with my unchanging essence, however it is up to you to recognize what remains constantly you. I'm not asking you to acknowledge your soul, just yourself.

For the OP, I interpret essence as "identity." I don't believe in a metaphysical soul, but I am keenly aware of spirit.
Spirit and soul are meaningful to me as abstractions, signifying an essential form to things and times.
I don't think one should put too much stock in defining his nature once and for all. One's nature (spirit) is proved in the arc of her life.

Essential Emerson:
Emerson wrote:With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. — 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' — Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood.

I suppose no man can violate his nature. All the sallies of his will are rounded in by the law of his being, as the inequalities of Andes and Himmaleh are insignificant in the curve of the sphere. Nor does it matter how you gauge and try him. A character is like an acrostic or Alexandrian stanza; — read it forward, backward, or across, it still spells the same thing. [...] We pass for what we are. Character teaches above our wills. Men imagine that they communicate their virtue or vice only by overt actions, and do not see that virtue or vice emit a breath every moment.

Greatness appeals to the future. If I can be firm enough to-day to do right, and scorn eyes, I must have done so much right before as to defend me now. Be it how it will, do right now. Always scorn appearances, and you always may. The force of character is cumulative. All the foregone days of virtue work their health into this.

Plus, as I see it, a person's nature is really bound up with his/her body. This is something I've said before:

The body is not just a vehicle. It is what makes perception - and all of experience - possible. We do not become who we are as isolated whisps of consciousness. We are not merely attached to or hosted by the body, but the body is in fact part of what makes us -us. You are you because of your biological idiosyncrasies, because you are sighted, because you have a nervous system, because of the way you feel pleasure, and of course because of the way you feel pain. One does not enter the body like a corporeal suit. The complex and spirited consciousness emerges necessarily as one embodied. The soul, or the spirit, exists in the momentum of a person and his impact.
fuse
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:43 pm

fuse wrote
I don't think one should put too much stock in defining his nature once and for all. One's nature (spirit) is proved in the arc of her life.

Fine tuned by the arc, yes. We are looking at this from oceans apart. I really appreciate your views, a lovely read. Thank you.

A debate would be apropos if you stick around.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby fuse » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:20 pm

I'll be around, what do you want to debate?
fuse
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:37 pm

fuse wrote
For the OP, I interpret essence as "identity." I don't believe in a metaphysical soul, but I am keenly aware of spirit.
Spirit and soul are meaningful to me as abstractions, signifying an essential form to things and times.

One lifetime of a spirit vs. the eternal soul

fuse wrote
Plus, as I see it, a person's nature is really bound up with his/her body. This is something I've said before:

The body is not just a vehicle. It is what makes perception - and all of experience - possible. We do not become who we are as isolated whisps of consciousness. We are not merely attached to or hosted by the body, but the body is in fact part of what makes us -us. You are you because of your biological idiosyncrasies, because you are sighted, because you have a nervous system, because of the way you feel pleasure, and of course because of the way you feel pain. One does not enter the body like a corporeal suit. The complex and spirited consciousness emerges necessarily as one embodied. The soul, or the spirit, exists in the momentum of a person and his impact.

Hosted vs. not
soul is epicenter of experience vs. body is the epicenter of experience

I have yet to formally debate anything. Ah ha, welcome guinea pig! :mrgreen:
Comments...concerns? :D
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby WendyDarling » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:01 am

fuse wrote
The soul, or the spirit, exists in the momentum of a person and his impact.

While this sentence above may mean 'in this lifetime', what is interesting is the momentum of a person in relation to other people and how can that be measured? The momentum of a person is very relevant in terms of all of their assets and how they use them, whether simply now or into infinity.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

PreviousNext

Return to The Sandbox