Imagine this - A thought experiment

Say you are a combat soldier, you get shot in the chest. Your bud hands you a rifle, says keep on fighting. You aim the rifle then you get shot in the head…

You feel yourself leave your body then float to the sky…your vision expanding and expanding the cosmos…Next thing you know you are a fetus…holding on to old memories…deep in your bones you are holding on to old memories…But you have a choice…

1. Do you let go of the old memories and begin anew?
  2. Or you keep the old memories in your bones, tainting your new life with them? And if you let go before you are born, if you declinch, one little slip up and the memories are gone…

Which do you do? 1. Experience the beginnings of life anew?
2. Or, keep the old memories, BUT these memories will be permanently part of you…never being able to retract them after you are born, for every new fetus it keeps these same memories…

Most pick option 1…but option 2…all of your posts in ILP, your training, your ideas, were leading up to this…
Which do you do?
Option 1 or Option 2?

In my thought experiment I get a second chance at life with only one absolute. Then for me that would be to live without anger. Everything
else would be entirely unpredictable. And then at the end of it I die and spend the rest of eternity in a state of pain free non consciousness

A difficult one. I WOULD hold on memories for sure, for that is human nature.but if i was exceptionally strong, knowing the rules of Karma and enlightenment then , AND had choice in the mattee-which i doubt, then i would not want to retain memory

That’s a good question. But I’m sorry to say that for me there would have to be an Option 3, Trixie.
I would want to do both. After all, life IS a process.
I might, by accident, otherwise, be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

And isn’t what you described above, both, part of what happens in our lives as it is now?
If those memories can never been retracted or forgotten, we learn how to live with them, we learn from them, they are after all, already a part of ourselves.
We could either look at them as a blessing or as a curse. At times, the former can become the latter and the latter may become the former.
Also, it’s not as if there is no possibility or probability of human consciousness or cognitive thinking that comes with us into our new life. We WILL and do survive.

Again, this IS the way we already live. And who knows but that things might change. We are not completely pre-determined.

Dump the memories for sure. I’d like to keep the learned wisdoms though.

This is the funny thing, that no-one has in-born worldly wisdom. Anyone would think we haven’t been here before?!

Conclusion; we get memory wiped, [inc knowledge even experiential etc] or we don’t get reborn. But it is not a choice, more a function. Don’t know if there would be any point to that except in the living of life itself, I can visualise no ultimate purpose nor teleology et al if everything is lost.

There is the question where rather than deletion, the whole knowledge set gets condensed into a oneness! Then the succession and eventual ‘arrival’ [?] would also make sense, as well as the journey/living.

_