An Appreciation Of Satyr

My dear Satyr : you and I have little in common philosophically. But I can see that you are a wise and knowledgeable
man with much to impart to those who are prepared to listen. And while my world view may never reflect yours I do
pay attention to what you say for being prepared to have that questioned is how one grows. So keep it up now. Keep
pushing. Keep probing. Keep challenging. And never let go. Thank you

It seems to me that someone with a different worldview than you would have a different and not compatible wisdom. IOW that person would not seem wise. Smart even brilliant, quite possibly; knowledgeable, also quite possible, but wisdom or his way of being wise, it seems to me would have to connect up to specific beliefs/heuristics that would not be compatible with your wisdom. So many choices and ways of behaving come out of worldview, in addition to many beliefs. If what he does and says seems wise to you, then to that extent you share the same paradigm.

Has Satyr read about a billion books in order to confirm to the world that he is among the most sophisticated of the autodidactic scholars online?

Sure.

But: Do his lectures have anything at all to do with that which preoccupies us from day to day: How ought one to live?

Vaguely. Opaquely. Obtusely.

In that his intellectual contraptions are said to be applicable as a “general descripion” of the human condition.

Just don’t ask him to…flesh that out?

For example, down here where the actual living gets done. And where the conflicts are born of those who insist that how one ought to live is ever and always how they do.

Moreno

I don’t know if surreptitious was being mocking or not towards Satyr - not always easy to tell what’s mocking and what’s meant to be real - but the below to me is the important part IMO of what he, S, was trying to say…

Isn’t this what philosophy and whatever else need to be about - having an open mind and realizing that we ourselves do not know everything and having the capacity to allow ourselves to be challenged? How do we get at the truth of it all if all we are going to see as truth is what WE ourselves see. I have no doubt that Satyr is capable of delivering some gems to posts…to deliberately mock and disown them because it is presumed or assumed that they can’t be “real” without at first listening and examining is not very philosophical or scientific or intelligent.

Satyr is a tough cookie, I offered him my body and sent him a picture of my nakedness, but he rejected me. I think he gains more sexual pleasure from rejecting women than actually having sexual intercourse!

:laughing:

All the objectivist sheople looking for an objectivist shepherd.

All hail the great shepherd Satyr!

He wouldn’t be a shepherd - he would simply be a signpost, like the rest of us.
He’s not the way, he just points to one more way, one of many.

Satyr, the man who points to the one and only true path of human objectivity.

He is the light in the darkness and the objective messianic savior of us all. The great objective mystic that in his glory has shed light on the universal mysteries of reality for us all. He alone has learned the secrets of the universe.

Satyr, the law-giver. Bow and grovel at his feet. If he bends over, does not the devout acolyte kiss his ass? :stuck_out_tongue:

Have you ever seen the movie video “American Psycho” with Christian Bale? HaHaHa

Yes, cult classic.

Now this is exactly what I meant though nowadays for me it is less about having an open mind and more
about just acknowledging alternative views without automatically making value judgements about them

And what does he propose that turns him into a savior?

Usually the ones who think so highly of themselves are fools and the ones thinking themselves fools are wise men. Age old key to finding out.

He doesn’t. Joker (HaHaHa) is just talking out of his ass.

Well, in my book, that is having an open mind or at least part of it.
You’re still being conscious of your thinking and/or the way in which you choose to think.

If it was mocking it makes sense. Not a clear mocking post, but the idea makes sense to me.

I agree in part. Philosophy might be about learning to close your mind to stupid things or things that make no sense or to understand why certain gut reactions you have actually do make sense. So it could go in precisely the opposite direction. To have your ideas challenged seems in general to be a part of it. To organize, flesh out and create ideas seems central. To understand one’s own thinking.

And my reaction to Surreptitious had nothing to do with Satyr. He could have referred to anyone. To me it sounded like someone saying what they think should be the truth. Here’s this smart guy. I respect his wisdom even if I disagree with him paradigmantically. Paradigms are the underpinnings of all the thoughts but also the values involved. It’s not that there cannot be, for us, wisdom to be found in someone we fundamentally disagree with, but a paradigmatic disagreement is going to create direct conflict over what is wise. An Abrahamic type theist and a physicalist MUST logically disrespect some of the most important wisdom the other one has - or considers he or she has. The wisdom of the former would entail how to improve one’s relationship with God and all sorts of practices and beliefs that the latter would consider silly and deluded at best.

Once you have a paradigmatic difference with someone you must consider some of their most important ideas unwise. And they yours.

This isn’t to say those two people cannot have a useful interesting discussion. Rare, but it happens. The point is by definition one’s wisdom is the other’s idiocy.

They might agree completely when discussing how to get the best golf swing. There will be some areas where their paradigm ALLOW them to agree. But those areas are less likely to have to do with wisdom.

I suppose they might agree on some parenting issues and that subset might be called wisdom, rather than just knowledge. So I can back off a little.

But despite whatever areas of common wisdom, there will be areas of extreme disrespect for what the other considers wise.

satyre :wink:

Am I? :laughing:

If anyone wants to know how Satyr thinks then simply go to page forty two
of My KTS Adventure thread where he explains himself in great detail now