Philosophy - The Game

Half-formed posts, inchoate philosophies, and the germs of deep thought.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Re: Philosophy - The Game

Postby gib » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:43 am

pilgrim-seeker_tom wrote:Begs the question:

Are we on the threshold of yet another reversion of extremes?

If American politics keeps going in the direction it's going, then most likely; but it would spark a fire in political philosophy only... and even then, maybe only incite a reversion back to an older philosophy.

pilgrim-seeker_tom wrote:If so ... Gib ... would you prefer to carry the torch in the vanguard Hell no! :o or report from the rear?

I don't think I'd want to report from the rear either. I'd want to sit on the sidelines and watch (assuming it's entertaining).

Now if society was somehow all of a sudden inundated with psychedelic experiences or altered states of consciousness--something like the 60's for example--then I could offer a philosophy that would prove quite useful.
My thoughts | My art | My music | My poetry

A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
- unknown source

Men must be taught as if you taught them not. And things unknown proposed as things forgot.
- Alexander Pope

Here lies the body of William J, who died maintaining his right of way.
He was right, dead right, as he sped along, but he's just as dead as if he were wrong.
- Boston Transcript
gib
resident exorcist

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:19 am

gib wrote:If so ... Gib ... would you prefer to carry the torch in the vanguard Hell no! :o or report from the rear?

Perhaps todays' philosophers lack the courage/fortitude to stand in the line of fire. :-k

gib wrote:I don't think I'd want to report from the rear either. I'd want to sit on the sidelines and watch (assuming it's entertaining).

Gib ... your 8,563 posts don't support your above statement. :-)

gib wrote:Now if society was somehow all of a sudden inundated with psychedelic experiences or altered states of consciousness--something like the 60's for example--then I could offer a philosophy that would prove quite useful.

That's exactly what society wants ... the 'magic' without the drugs. :-)
"Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby gib » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:27 am

pilgrim-seeker_tom wrote:Perhaps todays' philosophers lack the courage/fortitude to stand in the line of fire. :-k

Or faith in the cause.

pilgrim-seeker_tom wrote:Gib ... your 8,563 posts don't support your above statement. :-)

And maybe 3 of those deals in political philosophy.

pilgrim-seeker_tom wrote:That's exactly what society wants ... the 'magic' without the drugs. :-)

Well, they have to believe in magic first... then they'll want an explanation.
My thoughts | My art | My music | My poetry

A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
- unknown source

Men must be taught as if you taught them not. And things unknown proposed as things forgot.
- Alexander Pope

Here lies the body of William J, who died maintaining his right of way.
He was right, dead right, as he sped along, but he's just as dead as if he were wrong.
- Boston Transcript
gib
resident exorcist

Previous

Return to The Sandbox