Bless God

Half-formed posts, inchoate philosophies, and the germs of deep thought.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Bless God

Postby Fixed Cross » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:32 am

And His Son
The Holy Jesus Christ
Lord and Savior of All Sinners
Can we get a A-Men
Can we get a Yes Sir

The Mighty Lord Gave us Life, Love and Languid Afternoon hours with tea and a cool breeze

So bless his mighty name and keep him off the books

No Taxes For God
No Death For God

Amen, Aum, Ohm and Ampere

Bring the voltage
Bless, Jesus Bless

Mary keep an eye out on your son, he's a wild one!

Wolves and the Meat of John -
Next time friends,
Join your heart in congregation to meet
The Lord
and have him Bless the tree of Life.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides

Image

Thunderbolt steers all things.
User avatar
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper
 
Posts: 6993
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:53 am
Location: Thrudheim

Re: Bless God

Postby Dan~ » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:46 am

No Taxes For God
No Death For God


I think we need to be served by a godhead moreso than we need to serve and worship a godhead.

If God is at the top of the game, he doesn't have needs. He is beyond rich. So why should the poor give him money?
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting two of my free game projects.
User avatar
Dan~
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 9773
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:14 am
Location: May the loving spirit of papa hitler watch over and bless you all.

Re: Bless God

Postby James S Saint » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:47 am

Does that have a tune to go along with it? 8-[
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 25792
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Bless God

Postby Fixed Cross » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:26 am

James S Saint wrote:Does that have a tune to go along with it? 8-[

Yes, thank you.
I realized after posting that that might not be obvious.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides

Image

Thunderbolt steers all things.
User avatar
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper
 
Posts: 6993
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:53 am
Location: Thrudheim

Re: Bless God

Postby Antithesis » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:58 am

And let's not forget that puff King David, bless his ass.
eyesinthedark

There's a fine line between sanity and stupidity.
User avatar
Antithesis
Thinker
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:21 am

Re: Bless God

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:17 pm

At first, I wondered if the Op was pure sarcasm. Maybe not. Forgive me, but I'm slow. I think best of religious leaders, East and West, have concluded that God is a way, not a person.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12331
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Bless God

Postby turtle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:21 pm

Ierrellus wrote:At first, I wondered if the Op was pure sarcasm. Maybe not. Forgive me, but I'm slow. I think best of religious leaders, East and West, have concluded that God is a way, not a person.


ier---can you explain more about ---god is the way...what way
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Bless God

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:39 pm

turtle wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:At first, I wondered if the Op was pure sarcasm. Maybe not. Forgive me, but I'm slow. I think best of religious leaders, East and West, have concluded that God is a way, not a person.


ier---can you explain more about ---god is the way...what way

Jesus, the Tao, etc. etc.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12331
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Bless God

Postby turtle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:49 pm

Ierrellus wrote:
turtle wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:At first, I wondered if the Op was pure sarcasm. Maybe not. Forgive me, but I'm slow. I think best of religious leaders, East and West, have concluded that God is a way, not a person.


ier---can you explain more about ---god is the way...what way

Jesus, the Tao, etc. etc.


are you referring to the human jesus or the divine Christ...
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Bless God

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:55 pm

Both are one thing. But I'd say the same about Lao Tse , Buddha, and Confucius (SIC).
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12331
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Bless God

Postby turtle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:58 pm

Ierrellus wrote:Both are one thing. But I'd say the same about Lao Tse , Buddha, and Confucius (SIC).

not really....if you believe in jesus as god ..you behave much differently than if you believe jesus was a guy...the bible says two ways...and the bible was written by guys
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Bless God

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:28 pm

turtle wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:Both are one thing. But I'd say the same about Lao Tse , Buddha, and Confucius (SIC).

not really....if you believe in jesus as god ..you behave much differently than if you believe jesus was a guy...the bible says two ways...and the bible was written by guys

Not really. It was Jesus the man God who came up with the Sermon on the Mount. It was Confucious who came up with, among others, the Golden Rule. These are not the average philosphies of the man on the street.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12331
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Bless God

Postby turtle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:25 pm

Ierrellus wrote:
turtle wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:Both are one thing. But I'd say the same about Lao Tse , Buddha, and Confucius (SIC).

not really....if you believe in jesus as god ..you behave much differently than if you believe jesus was a guy...the bible says two ways...and the bible was written by guys

Not really. It was Jesus the man God who came up with the Sermon on the Mount. It was Confucious who came up with, among others, the Golden Rule. These are not the average philosphies of the man on the street.

ier--it involves choice...which jesus do you follow
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Bless God

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:08 pm

turtle wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:Both are one thing. But I'd say the same about Lao Tse , Buddha, and Confucius (SIC).

not really....if you believe in jesus as god ..you behave much differently than if you believe jesus was a guy...the bible says two ways...and the bible was written by guys


Well, maybe you can separate the two, but if you hold them both as one, as both human and divine, I would say that that would be a mighty beacon to be guided by. Here you have your god and here you have a human, who was just as human as you. The human part one can identify with more being that you are human more so than the divine part.

For those who do believe.
SAPERE AUDE!


If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.


What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel


I learn as I write!
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 14949
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: Ecstasy on Earth.

Re: Bless God

Postby turtle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:22 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:
turtle wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:Both are one thing. But I'd say the same about Lao Tse , Buddha, and Confucius (SIC).

not really....if you believe in jesus as god ..you behave much differently than if you believe jesus was a guy...the bible says two ways...and the bible was written by guys


Well, maybe you can separate the two, but if you hold them both as one, as both human and divine, I would say that that would be a mighty beacon to be guided by. Here you have your god and here you have a human, who was just as human as you. The human part one can identify with more being that you are human more so than the divine part.

For those who do believe.


I didn't separate the two...they did that at the council of nicea in 325 ad...the split is still in the church...I see it in my church with my own little turtle eyes...
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Bless God

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:52 pm

Mary keep an eye out on your son, he's a wild one!


:lol: That was my favorite part of all.
SAPERE AUDE!


If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.


What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel


I learn as I write!
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 14949
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: Ecstasy on Earth.

Re: Bless God

Postby Dan~ » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:49 pm

Ierrellus wrote:At first, I wondered if the Op was pure sarcasm. Maybe not. Forgive me, but I'm slow. I think best of religious leaders, East and West, have concluded that God is a way, not a person.

The way of all nature, perhaps.
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting two of my free game projects.
User avatar
Dan~
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 9773
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:14 am
Location: May the loving spirit of papa hitler watch over and bless you all.

Re: Bless God

Postby Ierrellus » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:29 pm

Jesus never said, "worship me"; he said "follow me."
"God became as we are so that we could become as God is."
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12331
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Bless God

Postby Fixed Cross » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:54 pm

Ierrellus wrote:At first, I wondered if the Op was pure sarcasm. Maybe not. Forgive me, but I'm slow. I think best of religious leaders, East and West, have concluded that God is a way, not a person.

And what is a person if not a way?
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides

Image

Thunderbolt steers all things.
User avatar
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper
 
Posts: 6993
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:53 am
Location: Thrudheim

Re: Bless God

Postby turtle » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:17 am

we don't know anything about gods...it is all belief
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Bless God

Postby James S Saint » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:30 am

Reality definitely has a personality.
To tell ancient people and their offspring to not refer to it as a "person" is pushing one's authority.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 25792
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Bless God

Postby zinnat » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:07 pm

turtle wrote:we don't know anything about gods...it is all belief


That is only partially true.
There were and are also some indivisuals, to whom it was/is not a matter of mere belief, but hard personal evidence.
This minority was considerd as an authority in the past. That is from where other gather their belief.
Having said that, still there is a possibility of the presence of some cons there in that elite group.

It is up to an individual to discern and choose.

with love,
sanjay
User avatar
zinnat
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3501
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:27 pm

Re: Bless God

Postby turtle » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:50 pm

zinnat13 wrote:
turtle wrote:we don't know anything about gods...it is all belief


That is only partially true.
There were and are also some indivisuals, to whom it was/is not a matter of mere belief, but hard personal evidence.
This minority was considerd as an authority in the past. That is from where other gather their belief.
Having said that, still there is a possibility of the presence of some cons there in that elite group.

It is up to an individual to discern and choose.

with love,
sanjay


sanjay---can you say more about the "hard personal evidence".....are you talking about facts or science or what....thanks from harry
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Bless God

Postby iambiguous » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:04 pm

turtle wrote:sanjay---can you say more about the "hard personal evidence".....are you talking about facts or science or what...


One suspects s/he is talking about personal anecdotes. The kind where someone is convinced they had a particular experience but does not have the "hard evidence" to convince everyone else.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 22701
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: Bless God

Postby zinnat » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:38 pm

turtle wrote:
zinnat13 wrote:
turtle wrote:we don't know anything about gods...it is all belief


That is only partially true.
There were and are also some indivisuals, to whom it was/is not a matter of mere belief, but hard personal evidence.
This minority was considerd as an authority in the past. That is from where other gather their belief.
Having said that, still there is a possibility of the presence of some cons there in that elite group.

It is up to an individual to discern and choose.

with love,
sanjay


sanjay---can you say more about the "hard personal evidence".....are you talking about facts or science or what....thanks from harry


Turtle,

The assumption of lambiguopus is more or less right, except of the term anecdotes.
Those may be stories to else, but not for me. at least.

It is a long post so i am providing a link below-
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=181854#p2376825

Go through it. Now, suppose just for the sake of an argument that i am not lying, what should i believe; what others say or what i personally experienced?

with love,
sanjay
User avatar
zinnat
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3501
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:27 pm

Next

Return to The Sandbox



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users