If you cant say it in one sentence...

Half-formed posts, inchoate philosophies, and the germs of deep thought.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Re: If you cant say it in one sentence...

Postby James S Saint » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:53 pm

Occam's Razor is merely a method for choosing between two equally true ontologies (or statements). It is not a denial of one, but rather a preference of the other.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Amorphos » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:08 am

Ok, firstly my apologies for using 'occam's razor' in that way, my thinking stems from Buddhist thinking which is similar in a way;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_description_length
from the wiki link:
The minimum description length (MDL) principle is a formalization of Occam's Razor in which the best hypothesis for a given set of data is the one that leads to the best compression of the data.

Flannel Jesus wrote:That being said, I actually have a point to make here that I take quite seriously: I'm very much annoyed that you're promoting the myth that sentence length has anything to do with Occam's Razor. 'Simplicity' in the sense of Occam's Razor has nothing to do with natural language sentence length. One can compress any amount of complexity into a single word. The word 'cube' and the word 'human' are both only one word; the concepts are not of equal complexity. This is part of the power of words -- the ability to wrap up complex concepts into easy-to-say/write/read symbols/sounds/etc. A sentence of 100 words may be less complex, in the Occam's Razor sense, than a sentence of 3 words.

Eg take the explanation for thunder, of 'Thor did it', with a full explanation of Maxwell's Equations. Maxwell's Equations take much more time to explain, but in the end, they're much much less complex than the mind of a god. Word count is not a good measure of complexity.

maxwell's equations are saying it in the shortest way imho, but thunder is a complex thing involving many factors, so naturally the description of that will be complex and long. The descriptions for each aspect of thunder could be shorter, and if we keep reducing we eventually end up with the smallest set of meanings. Keep going and we get down to forces of nature, and then to the fundamental nature of reality, ergo 'the process' of finding the 'simplest thing' ends up with the simplest explanation of what everything >is<!

Perhaps 'witch' and 'thunder' are abstractions? whereas the full description is the real reduction. ...and probably composed of many meanings.
The truth is naked,
Once it is written it is lost.
Genius is the result of the entire product of man.
The cosmic insignificance of humanity, shows the cosmic insignificance of a universe without humanity.
the fully painted picture, reveals an empty canvas
Amorphos
ILP Legend

Postby Ierrellus » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:13 pm

Curiosity expands statements.
John shot a bear.
Who's John?
Did he kill the bear?
What kind of bear was it?
Why did John shoot the bear?
Did John use a bow & arrow? A shotgun? A rifle?
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Ierrellus » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:13 pm

Human thought has physical underpinnings.
Say what?
Last edited by Ierrellus on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Stuart » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:38 pm

Ierrellus wrote:Say what?

This:

That's one way of saying it.
Stuart
Philosopher

Postby Ierrellus » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:41 pm

Stuart wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:Say what?

This:

That's one way of saying it.

Are there other ways of saying it?
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Stuart » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:48 pm

Yes, and many you may have heard of such as... not. But, I wouldn't got hat far, I only found your statement to be someone inaccurate, being the Sartrean existentialist that I am, but couldn't quite say why. Now I know, the 'underpinnings' need not be pluralized, physical is the underpinning of thought, thought creates the divergence into plurality.
Stuart
Philosopher

Postby Moreno » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:40 pm

Maia wrote:
Stuart wrote:Flannel, I've been running across debates on Occam's Razor, and yet don't know what it's about; I realize here and now is a very ideal time to ask for a short explanation of the term.

The simpler the better.
That's not the OR, though it is a pretty common misinterpretation of it.
If you have a choice between two explanations and Z needs only three entities in its explanation while Y has 4, as long as Z adequately explains phenomenon B, then it is better to work with and test Z until further notice. It is a metholodological suggestion. Neuroscientists and particle physicists would have a problem if simple explanations were better than more complicated ones.
Moreno
ILP Legend

Postby Amorphos » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:26 am

Metholodological = methodological ^^

Ierrellus wrote:Curiosity expands statements.
John shot a bear.
Who's John?
Did he kill the bear?

That is asking questions endlessly, not answering them in the shortest way possible. It is true though that you can do that. So are both statements true even if conflicting? What if the world has two or more truths about a thing? That perhaps just gives us categories of truth rather than absolutes ~ I quite like that philosophy.
The truth is naked,
Once it is written it is lost.
Genius is the result of the entire product of man.
The cosmic insignificance of humanity, shows the cosmic insignificance of a universe without humanity.
the fully painted picture, reveals an empty canvas
Amorphos
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:19 pm

Maia wrote:No verb, no sentence, no meaning.

Eureka!
Ah!
Holy Cow!
Mira!

and one that I absolutely hate...
Whatever!

Sometimes one word carries with it more meaning than a whole phrase, sentence, paragraph ad continuum.

To be or not to be - a Kurt Vonnegut or a Charles Dickens and William Faulkner.
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Ierrellus » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:29 pm

Amorphos wrote:Metholodological = methodological ^^

Ierrellus wrote:Curiosity expands statements.
John shot a bear.
Who's John?
Did he kill the bear?

That is asking questions endlessly, not answering them in the shortest way possible. It is true though that you can do that. So are both statements true even if conflicting? What if the world has two or more truths about a thing? That perhaps just gives us categories of truth rather than absolutes ~ I quite like that philosophy.

Totally agree that there are categories of truth.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:07 pm

Maia wrote:I never use just one sentence.

Don't get clever, girl.
Thunderbolt steers all things.

I've been guided somewhat by William Blake's quote: "I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create". Just change 'system' for 'style'. - Bill

The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:37 pm

Vonnegut's Style

Kurt Vonnegut's own style of writing tends to be minimalist and dry, utilizing short sentences and avoiding wordy run-ons. His lessons on writing reflect his own style of crafting stories.

Simplicity in language is something highly regarded by Vonnegut. He believed that simplicity is a lost art, one that when utilized correctly could convey every emotion in human language in only a few words.

He likened this skill to William Shakespeare and James Joyce, who with only simple words and phrases, could break the hearts of their readers or send them into a metaphysical rabbit hole. When Shakespeare's Hamlet famously utters, ''To be or not to be'', his use of words no longer than three letters still resounds with readers today as one of the most meaningful and powerful questions.

Shakespeare and Joyce, to continue with Vonnegut's own examples, mastered their own voice. They wrote in a voice they were familiar with as children to best get their message across.

Vonnegut describes himself in contrast to the musical beauty of some other more geographically blessed authors. He stated: ''I myself grew up in Indianapolis, where common speech sounds like a band saw cutting galvanized tin and employs a vocabulary as unornamental as a monkey wrench.''

http://study.com/academy/lesson/kurt-vo ... hemes.html

Of course, this is only one perspective.
At times, we need to fill that canvas with many different brush strokes of many different hues and colors.
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Previous

Return to The Sandbox