Would you date someone with a disability?

Would you date someone with a disability?

• 1. No, never.
  • 2. Depends, all situations are different, prefer to sit on fence at the risk of sounding politically incorrect, etc. etc.
  • 3. Yes, every time.
0 voters

Discuss…

This is my first poll, just been figuring out how it works.

I’ll save my own answer till later.

Yes, though I would not date him out of a sense of compassion, which would be extremely unkind, at least in my book. And the type of man who I would date, with or without a disability, would not be the kind who is looking for my compassion but for my understanding/awarness/presence. I would date him if I found him to have the same attractive qualities that I look for in a man.

You don’t date a body - you date a mind and a spirit and a heart…though of course the body is not so incidental. :evilfun:

Aside from that, I don’t suppose that the answer to this can be portrayed in terms of simply black and white. “To do no harm” might come into play in such a way that it might [not] if one were dating someone with no disability. But, I might be wrong here in my thoughts. We all have disabilities, in a sense, though they may not be that obvious to others - but perhaps those who do have physical/mental disabilities, though they may wish to be treated the same or as equals, need a particular kind of caring and understanding and vigilance toward their spirits and hearts.

But I may be wrong here.

I’d date a girl with no sense of smell and I’d never change my socks.

Depends is she filthy in the sack 'cause I am not big on vanilla sex.

Depends on the person the disability and whether we gel as people. If she was a fan of Justin Beiber, this I think is a disabllity I could not overcome. There are limits.

In my opinion, it depends on the disability.

The main thing that I would look at is whether or not the person is capable of having a self-sustaining existence even if the relationship were to come to an end. For example, let’s say that you had an individual who was disabled to such an extent that the individual could not live a life (absent someone else) in which they could sustain themselves financially.

What may happen in that situation is that you are unable to consider terminating a relationship, (because I believe most people have considered terminating the majority of relationships they have been in…at some point (not necessarily after being married)…even if they are still with that person) out of fear for what would happen to the individual in question if you did so. The problem that you are going to have now is that, even if you don’t necessarily want to leave them, you can’t even approach the possibility of leaving them internally and in good faith because you are tied down out of your concern for that person. I should imagine that a situation such as that is going to lead to you resenting the person because you can no longer adequately appraise the status of the relationship and feel as though you are beholden to remaining with them as a default.

In essence, you cannot feel beholden to the person to the extent that you believe that you must stay with them. If you do, then the resentment from such feelings will result in a toxic relationship even in situations in which you would otherwise remain in the relationship after an honest appraisal.

I will say that I wouldn’t mind having to take care of someone to a certain extent, but they are going to need to be able to take care of themselves should it become absolutely necessary. I’m not going to put myself into a situation in which I remain with someone out of pity or strictly out of concern for their welfare. I’m not saying that would even ever happen, but I’d prevent it from even becoming a possibility by not pursuing that relationship.

2 people answered ‘yes, every time’. Hrm. Wonder what they thought that answer meant when they chose it. Sounds to me like it means “Yes, I’d date any person with any disability no matter what the disability or their personality.”

Anyway, I don’t think I’d be averse to dating someone with certain disabilities. Obviously depends on what they are. Is she missing the lower half of her body up to her hips? I don’t think I’d date her. Does she have downs syndrome? I don’t think I’d date her. Is she mute? Hell, that gives her an advantage over most women!

I dated a girl with dreadlocks before. Does that count?

Depends was she black?

If so it is not a disability it is just being criminally into old hair styles, or a Rastafarian. :wink:

I have dated someone with a disability.

Sure, I have.

Does dating a philosopher count?

She was white, but had lovely olive skin.

For me, it would depend on the disability. There are practical issues to consider.

I think a definition of disability might be a good idea - on your part as the OP.
Disability could include things like developmental disabilities, like what used to get called retardation. I think it’s unlikely I would want to date someone in that category, to say the least. I simply wouldn’t have that kind of attraction.

I was thinking more of physical disabilities.

I had assumed that, for one, or perhaps some sort of long-term physical illness falling just short of being an all-out disability.

:smiley:

If the disability impedes sexual function then maybe, but as long as she was enthusiastic in the bedroom and smart in the conversation thing it’s fine

the captain is on the right track to answering, I think.

I would need to be able to communicate with the person well - I can do some sign language and would certainly learn more for the right person, for example - and have the shot at a good sex life together.

So how does that play out in terms of disabilities:
Deafness
Blindness

No problem.

Paraplegia. Potentially not a problem. I would prefer that intercourse is an option - such a romantic - and it would be a shame if she has no genital feeling. But right person, we make it work.

Quadraplegia. No. It would not be enough to be a romantic relationship. Arms, I think they have to have functioning arms.

Any disability that radically impaired facial expressions. No. I don’t think so. And the ability to kiss is pretty much de rigeur.

Neurological disorders. Could work. As long as they are not so severe we can communicate and be physical. Tourette’s might even be liberating. No more Mr. Nice guy.

Disabilities that require the person to be hooked up to machines all the time. Not so likely.

Comment of the day.