Where is the internet?

Where is this conversation taking place? Where is the internet? Where is this forum? Where is this thread? Where is this word?

It’s in the Ether.

Hmmm… I don’t get it.

would knowing change anything?

Well, it arises as many computers interact with each other. So, everywhere there is a computer that is connected to the internet is where the internet is. But as a matter of convenience, I think it makes sense to say “the internet is in my computer” while recognizing that it is substantially more complicated than that.

Just considering the question changes things, for me. Not for you?

I’m interested in the shorthand answer you provided here. Obviously we’re dealing with something extraordinarily complex - I don’t know if anyone would disagree with that. But your shorthand answer “the internet is in my computer” doesn’t strike me as a compelling one. I think it’s pretty far down my list of possible shorthand answers. In fact I think “the ether” makes more sense as a short answer, even if on further explanation we say “well, really there is no such thing as ether”.

Meh. Works with the self. Same idea, different system.

I’m not sure I follow. It seems more to me like saying the self is in my hand or something.

Isn’t that what people are doing when they point at themselves?

Servers and your computer is where the internet is, I am presuming that you mean where the memory of each transaction is kept of course. You are downloading information into a server with every added post. It keeps a memory of the transaction. The server that serves this site will hold the memory of it, when you log in you upload memory from the server. Servers are designed to understand each other. Most common servers are proggrammed to understand a common programming language, then translators are programmed in… Is that enough???

Just because this site originated in England does not mean that is where it’s server is. It could be in Atalanta Georgia or Peru, or Saudia Arabia.

Ok, sure.

Thanks Kris. So, again, this word. That seems quite specific, as opposed to “the internet” which is general. Does that word “this” have a location? Is it in the server? On your screen? On my screen? In our brains? Perhaps it seems more specific than “the internet”, thus implying a specific location, but really isn’t? If that is the case, is there something specific involved that really does have a real location? Does information have location?

anon,

I like you, so I will answer your question.

Your word, “this” word, is right in front of me. I am reading it right now. It is on my computer. It traveled through some wires and possibly some satellite frequencies to get to me. The word is also in front of you. It is how we communicate to each other. – through this.

:laughing:

This website is probably stored on some server someplace, so that is where your words are and whatnot I assume.

sky net

-Imp

The internet was made by the American military to provide a safe communication network in case of any sudden attack by the Soviets, so Xunzian’s answer is a pretty simple explanation. That’s why it’s for all practical purposes impossible to bring the internet down, because it’s not provided from any one place, like your power/telephone. So if there were 3 computers connected in a triangle, and one link was broken, the remaining computer would still serve the two and you’d have internet. It’s an amazing and ideal system, if only all others systems had comparable reliability we’d have a spectacular world.
It’s something that man’s greatest innovations all have military origins.

cyberspace

On your monitor.

I have the internet, it is on my screen, that satisfies me.

When the internet is not on my screen, I become upset and try to figure out why, then (failing to figure out why) call my friend who is a computer programmer, who seems to know everything else about them also.

The internet is comprised by a myriad of networking systems which utilizes DNS (Domain Name System) associations which makes each connection unique. The web browsers on our computers translates HTML codes (HyperText Markup Language) so it makes what we see recognizable. Word processors operate in a similar manner making it an easier interface for people to view. Once a DNS address is accessed by a querying computer the web browsers work like a word processor to decode the language which we identify with. Other components laced in with the web browser help give the smiley faces we use in our emoticons like Java. Yahoo, Google and other search engines give those DNS addresses names and categorizes them for our ease of use too. Domain servers take on customers and sells that information to those entities which gives them cross correlating capabilities somewhat like a super ‘yellow pages’. Thus this makes it possible for people to find places like ILP so we can indulge in spirited debates. I believe I got some of this right…it’s quite possible I may have unintentionally led the way down the Primrose path. :-k