Should politicians be more honest and accountable?

Should there be a law to prosecute politicians who knowingly deceive the public?

• yes
  • no
0 voters

Apparently there isn’t a law in the UK to prosecute politicians who are found to have knowingly deceived the public - should there be such a law?

yes, we need more laws understandable only by lawyers to ensure that those we elect are lawyers are well…

-Imp

Imp’s sentiment is right on.

See, here is the catch. You want the law makers to make a law to prosecute every single one in office. Just how do you propose this to happen? If you figure it out in the UK, well send it over the puddle, cuz we have the same problem as does every Gov’t.

Oxymoron-Honest Politician.

but surely there should be some means of monitoring the conduct of elected representatives? Are you aware of the Elizabeth Filkin saga? She is the ex-commissioner for parliamentary standards nd she was hounded out of her job by various ‘important’ figures within parliament whom she rubbed up the wrong way with her investigations. Also, the Commission for Standards in Public Life are answerable to the PM, and previous PMs have taken no heed of their findings/suggestions. If a law existed (so long as it wasn’t corrupted in concept at the stage of ‘creation’ by lawyers/politicians) it wouldn’t be as prone to manipulation?

I voted yes, but you are asking the impossible of the unwilling from the uneducated.

Like Kriswest stated, oxymoron. (Which translates “stupid white guy” actually, because all politicians are power hungry White males who happen to be complete idiots.)

melville, we can all agree with your sentiments, but, logically any board or commision will be set up by the very law makers you wish to moniter. Do you honestly think our leaders will allow mere civilians to make rules or laws or create commissions in order to keep them honest? You would have to stage a revolt or coup for anysuch thing to happen. Can you find enough people willing to risk their lives?

no, and I wouldn’t want to. The reason why I feel passionate about this at the moment is because I discovered the following website:

ministry-of-truth.net

They are making a documentary about the ‘problem’ and write an amusing blod to accompany the creation of the doc. According to the site the doc is due to be broadcast on the BBC very soon, so I can’t wait to see if it will trigger a debate in the media

What does everybody think of The Misrepresentation of The People act? Here’s a link to it:

ministry-of-truth.net/theact.html

I personally don’t agree with the inclusion of section 4, I think it’s too lenient

If it was up to me there would be no politics or government.