What makes marijuana worse than pharmaceuticals?

Can someone explain to me why marijuana is worse than drugs like xanax, dilaudid, prozac, lithium, oxycontin, haldol, trazodone, ambien, adderall or morphine? What about zoloft or celexa or remeron?

I think that drug companies are getting around IRB rules by using the public as their lab subjects. These types of drugs are constantly unser scrutiny for the behaviors that they produce. The companies are getting sued and the drugs are getting pulled from the market. If you get caught with any one of these pills in most states you’ll get a felony drug possession charge.

People have been smoking pot forever. The effects of it are such common sense that you see them parodied on prime time television on a regular basis.

I’m not saying that pot is good for you, or that you should stop taking your anti depressants and pain killers and start smoking weed.

I’m just asking for a clear and substantive distiction between these two kinds of drugs that warrants the way that they are treated by society and the law.

Thanks!
Scott

Poor people don’t use pharmaceuticals.

That’s an interesting idea. Tell me some more… I bet there are other reasons as well.

vs.

I need someone who disagrees with me here.

Good luck.

Dude, this is a philosophy forum. Even if there were people here who opposed smoking up, they wouldn’t admit it!

Cowards.

I don’t think you can really compare marijuana with those drugs. Most people don’t take anti-depressants recreationally. However, of those drugs listed, the only one I have take recreationally is adderall. Personally, the highs of adderall, which is low grade speed, are 100 times better than any high I’ve gotten from pot. However, the lows of amphetamines are hellish at times - super depressing. All in all, I’d said marijuana is a very harmless drug, you don’t really get highs and lows. As for better? Well, as I said, you can’t really compare them. Pot doesn’t really “cure” anything.

What do anti depressants cure? How many people just take those things and turn into zombies? Why are teenagers killing themselves withdrawing from paxil? Adderall isn’t a low grade speed, it’s pure amphetamine salts, most people who do speed would gladly trade in ice for adderall if they could afford it and get it from a doctor in large enough doses. Social diseases are cured by these kinds of drugs, not biologically verifiable ones.

I’ve never had a low from adderall. From its absence . . . well, that is another story . . .

Good luck finding opposition. I’d really like to see such and argument, eventhough I’ll be sided. Maybe I could be enlightened from the opposition, probably not on this topic though.

So no takers on this one? Is it safe to assume that the intelligent people of ILP agree with me? I have to say I’m a little disappointed.

Disappointed? I’m not. :unamused:

That’s right people. Just keep ignoring the truth.

I’m ready to have it out over this question. Who’s got the balls!?

AC/DC

-Imp

fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/2 … 01230.html

usatoday.com/news/nation/200 … plea_N.htm

alcoholism.about.com/od/prescrip … 040823.htm

ezinearticles.com/?The-Dange … &id=707874

drugs.com/ambien.html

Look, I’m having trouble believing that no one here disagrees with me. What I’m having more trouble believing is that there’s no one amongst you willing to play the devil’s advocate. Come on people, someone teach me how I’m wrong. What do I have to type in order to antagonize a proper response from you guys? JEEEZZZ

it’s simple… pot is “bad” because the drug companies can’t totally control the production and distribution… the politicians get big kick backs from the drug companies and the drug companies get beneficial legislation… pot heads of central cleveland political action committee doesn’t have the same clout…

-Imp

freerepublic.com/forum/a3a5d4ad65059.htm

Allopathics are the 3rd leading cause of all deaths in America.

Double-dose of weed wont kill your ass flat-out and call it a cure.