permanent?

If everything is temporary, what then is Permanent?

Death?

Reality (and i dont mean mine or yours, or johns i mean the objective existing structure that everything (including the universe) is contained in.

It’s possible that even the larger vessel we call “reality” may be a fleeting and temporary artifice. If there’s a “Big Crunch” at the conclusion of the life of this universe, will anything of our “time/space continuim” still endure?

ahh but but then i would argue that there is an even bigger vessel then you speak of that is permanent. but who knows if even speaking of things such as permanence would be a relevent attribute to something like that.

Death is the end of life which is temporary, but death itself is an unknown dimension and therefore not able to be attributed as permanent.

Entities can be real but only temporarily, ie objects percieved. All realities are temporary, some are illusions etc.

Do we really know the universe is permanent? There are those who suggest it had a beginning or is growing. It is dynamic but I dont think we can say absolutely it is permanent or even finite.

Try as I may I cannot say I know of anything percieved by my senses or otherwise that is permanent. This suggests to me there is much to be gained philosophically by accepting temporary existance as an axiom.

I suspect death is not a dimension at all but rather simply the lack of life. When you turn off the light, a new dark dimension doesn’t magically appear (that we know of :wink: )- it simply ceases to be bright. While I won’t be able to tell definatively until I actually die, I suspect that death will merely be the end of the quirky, temporary state we know as life. True, death may not be permanent; I could be reincarnated & live again, there could be an afterlife, etc etc. That’s why I added the “?” at the end.

Every form is temporary. While the process of transformation continues. Only the process is everlasting. If you cling to any particualr form then you will suffer. If you accept the impermenance of all forms and learn to identify yourself not with any of those limited forms but with the process itself, then you may find peace.

That is your opinion. I would suggest you seek contentment and humility before you make assumptions which are arrogant and false. FYI

“There do exist enquiring minds, which long for the truth of the heart, seek it, strive to solve the problems set by life, try to penetrate to the essence of things and phenomena and to penetrate into themselves. If a man reasons and thinks soundly, no matter which path he follows in solving these problems, he must inevitably arrive back at himself, and begin with the solution of the problem of what he is himself and what his place is in the world around him.”

Also, it is better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Finally who was the arrogant dolt who switched forums?

Me, one of the moderators of the philosophy forum…

this post violated the rules for a topic post in the philosophy section…

particularly rules 2 and 8

and this one violates rule 1

-Imp

Thank you. May I suggest that before you engage in draconion action with a new member you extend the courtesy of offering advice, as did Ben recently. My post was replied to by others who you also “sentenced” to Mundane Babble.

I look forward to posting here after a bad start.

regards

minutiae