fave jeff buckley song

Share and discuss.

Postby alex » Tue Dec 11, 2001 5:50 pm

Since you've all come to Ben's website I'm assuming you're cool, therefore I also assume that you like Jeff Buckley. Not sure how good my logic is there. Anyways, what your favorite tune of his?
I'll start: Hallelujah (sorry if that's an obivous/boring choice but hey)
alex

Postby clarice » Tue Dec 11, 2001 7:58 pm

anyone who says anything different to hallelujah is either deaf or just lying to be original. lets face it, nothing tops hallelujah. <P>buckley-written songs, its got to be either ''opened once'' or ''lover, you should've come over''. and the lyrics to both are beautiful.
clarice

Postby ben » Tue Dec 11, 2001 11:18 pm

I'm slightly biased because I've been indoctrinated by clarice to love Hallelujah. She does this by looping it on her stereo and making me listen to it for hours on end.<P>Still a choon though.
ben
Janitor

Postby Loz » Wed Dec 12, 2001 12:38 am

Alex: I'm sorry. I am neither cool nor a fan of the said Mr Buckley...<P>...Your logic is poor.<P>That is all.
Loz

Postby TheIdiot » Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:23 pm

lover, you should have come over is my favourite...and sorry i don't like halleliah very much...in fact i always skip...call me a liar if you like!
TheIdiot

Postby agirl » Thu Sep 19, 2002 7:17 pm

hallelujah. it is one of the most beautiful songs in the world.
agirl

Postby Pangloss » Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:29 pm

"Jeff Buckley's 'Hallelujah' is divine, until you hear the original by Leonard Cohen, and realise that he's just another sentimental 'pained' American, crying and wailing to make ends meat." Or maybe not. 'Morning Theft' is my favourite, from 'Sweetheart the Drunk'.

The above quote is from the penultimate copy of Melody Maker. Jeff struck it down.

Does anybody here know the music of Tim Buckley (father). I recommend 'Happy Sad' to all.
Pangloss

Postby TheIdiot » Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:35 pm

Leonard Cohen's ok..i'm a bit of a greatest hits fan though...do you people like nick drake, if not, why not?
TheIdiot

Postby Slade7 » Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:58 pm

I got bored so i decided I'd look at some of the old posts for awhile. Yes I have I life, but I was just bored... alright I don't have a life then.
Jeff Buckley... Has to be one of the coolest guys ever. I liked Satisfied Mind the best. So sad... and creepy, considering how he died.
ooohhhkay then Mr. Philosopher man, Mr. I know it all, I'm smarter then Adam.... sure, you're cool now.
jk
Slade7

Postby ed » Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:02 pm

has anybody heard the live version of last goodbye ... the word tune just aint enough ... part from that hallelujah is the obvious choice
ed

Postby Slade7 » Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:44 pm

I never heard it yet. Not the live version that is.
ooohhhkay then Mr. Philosopher man, Mr. I know it all, I'm smarter then Adam.... sure, you're cool now.
jk
Slade7

Postby Matthew E. » Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:37 am

Call me ignorant, but who in the hell is Jeff Buckley?
"Behind every great fortune there is a crime."
- de Balzac

"Give a woman an inch and she thinks she's a ruler."
-Anonymous

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire; it extinguishes the small, it enkindles the great."

- Comte DeBussy-Rabutin

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill
Matthew E.
Thinker

Postby Slade7 » Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:21 am

Well Ignorant, Jeff Buckley was a singer whose depression eventually killed him. He drowned himself in some river while singing. His dad was really famous too but i forget his name. Man I'm tired, I'm going to bed...
jk
Slade7

Postby Slappy » Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:21 pm

Thank you, I was wondering the same thing :-?
Between sleep and awake there is a taco stand called nothing. Can I take your order? Have you seen me? I looked everywhere.
Slappy

Postby Slade7 » Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:00 pm

Slappy, Matthew, you'd both do well to listen to some of his songs. They're really good, and in my opinion boardering on genious. Albeit rather... down.
May I suggest you listen to Satisfied Mind and/or All tomorrows' Parties. To me the fact that he killed himself only makes his music all the more profound.
jk
Slade7

Postby Slappy » Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:06 pm

Will do, may I ask when all of this happened? When he killed himself and when he did his music?
Between sleep and awake there is a taco stand called nothing. Can I take your order? Have you seen me? I looked everywhere.
Slappy

Postby Matthew E. » Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:09 pm

I downloaded "Hallelujah" and "Satisfied Mind" from Kazaa. To be honest, I couldn't even finish listening to "Hallelujah". Just not my cup of tea I suppose. "Satisfied Mind", I think has the ability to grow on you if you give it the chance. I liked the lyrics. But, I need more than just lyrics!! I want a catchy melody, which blues style songs sometimes don't have. It just got too monotonous for me. I can understand how all of you really love his music, I just seem to have different tastes. I'll try listening to "Satisfied Mind" a couple more times to see if I change my mind. Interesting story though. Drowned himself while singing? That's a helluva way to go.
"Behind every great fortune there is a crime."
- de Balzac

"Give a woman an inch and she thinks she's a ruler."
-Anonymous

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire; it extinguishes the small, it enkindles the great."

- Comte DeBussy-Rabutin

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill
Matthew E.
Thinker

Postby Slade7 » Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:14 pm

Hmm, a good question. I'm not entirely sure, but I think he died in 1997, or some time in that area. His music must have been late 80's to mid 90's.
jk
Slade7

Postby ed » Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:56 pm

cant force it on you but grace is one hell of an album
ed

Postby TheIdiot » Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:11 am

His dad was called Tim Buckley and he wrote Hello and Goodbye amoungst other albums and he was almost considered to be a genius by some.
TheIdiot

Postby Slade7 » Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:30 pm

Thank you! I was trying to remember his name for days after I posted that.... (sigh) I should think of more productive thoughts, I suppose. Thank you Idiot.
jk
Slade7

Postby ed » Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:50 pm

if any of you have kazaa get the live version of hallelujah at olympia its lovely...
ed

Re: fave jeff buckley song

Postby surreptitious75 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:40 am

Leonard Cohens version may be more famous but Jeff Buckleys version is the definitive one by an absolute mile
Its in the same league as Stairway To Heaven / Bridge Over Troubled Water / Something / Walk On The Wild Side
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Philosopher

Return to Art, Music, and Entertainment