Misappreciation of Beauty

Share and discuss.

Misappreciation of Beauty

Postby Pandora » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:38 pm

This thread was inspired by Arc.

A person who eats junk food often does so in order to comfort or pacify himself, and disregards the consequences or the quality of food. He wants to be comforted and does not care about the quality of his comfort. And we often judge such a person. But, a person who obsesses about healthy eating is often no different than the one who eats junk food, except that he puts an extra layer of veneer or hypocrisy behind his motivations. His sources are natural and 'good', thus absolving him of guilt or consequences (natural, therefore must be good.. after all, nature is blameless), but the psychological need is still the same and that is the need for comfort. This kind of person will seek out natural things and use them as a cover. He is also the person who asks 'What good is life if I cannot find comfort in it?' And so, to feed that need, and with a perfect cover up, he will see 'beauty' in nature and all things natural. He will look at the dew drops, the sunsets, the cute squirrels running about their business and will find all these things...comforting. And blame-free. Who will dare to judge one for admiring a mountain or colorful flowers? It's nature herself! And why would you judge a person for eating healthy and natural? (even if the underlying goal is to perpetuate the sense of comfort through longetivity)

What does one really gain from the appreciation of a form, or what was the first benefit of the self-conscious mind in perceiving it? I say that the first aesthetic benefit happened when the form was perceived as being disconnected from the process behind it, like being able to enjoy a stage play without being aware of what is going on behind the stage. The form by itself. Detached. The finished product. This first appreciation of form detached from the processes behind it was based on ignorance of these processes, so the form detached appeared 'magical' to the mind. And when the mind attaches itself to the detached form, it associates itself with ignorance, and calls it mystery; but the real benefit or underlying motivation is comfort (through ignorance). Because if a mind were to perceive all the processes that lead to the form I doubt it would find any aesthetic pleasure or sense of comfort in it.
Pandora
Philosopher

Re: Misappreciation of Beauty

Postby WendyDarling » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:54 pm

As an artist, beauty lies in my process of creation, so the attachment to the form, the idea, the very inception. I wouldn't exactly categorize it as comfort, it's more akin to air, water, food, shelter, sex, but even more important especially in controlling it, the creative drive.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Fixed Cross » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:11 pm

Pandora wrote:What does one really gain from the appreciation of a form, or what was the first benefit of the self-conscious mind in perceiving it? I say that the first aesthetic benefit happened when the form was perceived as being disconnected from the process behind it, like being able to enjoy a stage play without being aware of what is going on behind the stage. The form by itself. Detached. The finished product. This first appreciation of form detached from the processes behind it was based on ignorance of these processes, so the form detached appeared 'magical' to the mind. And when the mind attaches itself to the detached form, it associates itself with ignorance, and calls it mystery; but the real benefit or underlying motivation is comfort (through ignorance). Because if a mind were to perceive all the processes that lead to the form I doubt it would find any aesthetic pleasure or sense of comfort in it.

You are sounding almost Nietzschean. Very good.

Yes, the world communicates itself to itself through appearances, "forms detached from the processes behind it" --- this is exactly what motivates human behaviour to seek the surface, to dread the truth. As an aside, Trump is a figure that cant be seen for the surface as he is too dynamic and "crude" to maintain one - we see the process behind the form and this is what many find abhorrent. Knowledge. And it is indeed far more taxing to see the process, and less rewarding unless one is able to see beauty in the process. In this sense the philosopher is like a surgeon, most people get sick seeing an opened chest, but the surgeon finds there his true admiration.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides

Thunderbolt steers all things.
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Pandora » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:04 am

unless one is able to see beauty in the process
I don't know about that. If so, it would not be in a traditional sense of this word.
Pandora
Philosopher

Return to Art, Music, and Entertainment