the 90s

How do you feel about the 90s? What were the prevailing moods and themes of the times? What was special about that decade, if anything? If there was any general feeling of that time what was it, when did it end (2000? 2005?), and what took it’s place?

feel free to post your favorite 90s music, images, etc.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDkhl-CgETg[/youtube]

The 90’s replaced wholesomeness with dereliction, the not giving a fuck attitude.

Throughout this decade, great amounts of angsty music, industrial and grunge, also the fruition of the rave scene going global.

Nirvana’s Kurt Cobain.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWmkuH1k7uA[/youtube]
Nirvana- All Apologies
Kurt’s goodbye https://kurtcobainssuicidenote.com/kurt_cobains_suicide_note.html

I was there the whole time. Had a blast.

I can see that. One of the things that’s interesting to me is how different aspects of the time are highlighted to different people and how difficult it is to look at a period with an overall perspective.

As a kid, the grunge & industrial waves mostly escaped my attention. My sister and I were mostly listening to pop music radio in the car, singing along to Cher - Believe, TLC - No Scrubs, Third Eye Blind - Jumper, K-Ci & JoJo - All My life, Biggie - Mo Money Mo Problems… Watching Disney movies: Beauty & the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, Hercules, Mulan… Jackie Chan (esp. Rush Hour!), Pokemon, Jurassic Park, Titanic, etc. We both took karate, we both did ballet, I played soccer, she did cheerleading, etc.

Things got rough in the 2000s. Middle school. High school. This is where all that 90s alt rock and grunge was a godsend, and I shifted from pop to rock. Some of my favorite parts of the 2000s were just 90s replays.

Even though things got a little gritty, digital, and chaotic - even the “not giving a fuck” dudes from the 90s still seemed naive in a way that people weren’t after the 2000s got underway. The 90s were definitely not wholesome. That’s true. (Although I’m not sure if the 80s really were much more wholesome either.)

Not wholesome, but kind of like first lust - still kind of innocent. I don’t know, it didn’t really seem like anyone knew what was going on and it seemed like people were headed in a bunch of different cultural directions. But taken altogether, I could have swore there was something in the air. Common feelings, some convergent thinking and attitudes about life and the world. Or it could just be in my imagination, but that is what I’ve tried to extract from the music and media I consumed (and continue to consume) from that time. And it’s like I said, the 90s culture that I was aware of at the time and that I pay attention to now isn’t going to be the full picture. So I wonder what I’m missing about that time and how it compares to what come after, the 2000s.

yeah, me too. it was not a bad time at all growing up in the 90s.

Wholesomeness began its disintegration in the 60’s and completely died off by the end of the 90’s. The traditional family structure disintegrated fully by the end of the 90’s as well.

That’s kind of interesting to me because if I had to guess what you mean I’d say I came from a pretty traditional family, and the same goes for most of my extended family as well.

How do you define the traditional family structure and was it something about the 90s in particular that you think drove the last nail, or did it just finally fall apart due to a process set in motion in prior decades?

You took dance? That’s brilliant! How long and did it lead to extended coordination and rhythm? Can you woo a woman with your dance?

Also, is your sister confident in her karate skills enough to protect herself?

I did ballet for a little while in daycare when I was in elementary school, probably a year or less. The idea of doing ballet as the only guy with a bunch of girls was a little strange at first and then kinda cool, but we did it during naptime at daycare so I got out of laying on cots for an hour, which I was glad for. We also did a performance, and I wore this sailor costume with a hat and had all these girls in tutus around me. It was pretty great. I was probably like 6 or 7 and I bet it did help out with coordination and stuff. Can I woo a woman with dance? lol I suppose it’s possible. Usually just try to have fun and be myself when it comes to dancing, it’s not something I put any extra practice or time into.

She didn’t go too far with Taekwondo (sorry, technically not Karate), but in some ways she’s pretty tough. We were both high school state champion athletes. Another part of self-defense is having the presence of mind to think about the best way out of a situation.

Just saying that a beautiful woman who can dance (more than three repetitive moves) looks for a male who can dance (more than three repetitive moves) as well and being able to show off for one another does get the pheromones flowing as well as the beautiful smiles and body language. Do clubs even have slow dances anymore? Learn to lead, spin the woman, and dip her which makes for an interesting first kiss that you don’t have to exactly ask for…never ask…that’s the kiss of death. Do or don’t do, like Yoda said.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL7-CKirWZE[/youtube]