Carl Jung

Share and discuss.

Carl Jung

Postby fuse » Thu May 11, 2017 7:53 am

I've never read any of his work and I want to get a good sense of his major ideas - where should I start?
fuse
Philosopher

Re: Carl Jung

Postby Chakra Superstar » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:14 am

Well this post went well... (crickets) :P

I can't really help, fuse. I've only ducked in and out of Jung mainly because much of his writings were aimed at fellow psychiatrists and dry as a nuns vag so it was difficult to penetrate (if you know what I mean) or just plain boring.

Regardless, his auto/biography -- Memories, Dreams, Reflections -- is good, as is Man and His Symbols - mainly because it was written for the layman rather than the technocrats. I got most of my Jungian knowledge from people like Joseph Campbell. You don't hear much of JC today... so check out Joseph Campbell, too.
Chakra Superstar
Thinker

Postby fuse » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:52 pm

Thanks for rescuing this post from oblivion, Chakra ...by saying you can't help :P

I confess I haven't even looked into Jung yet. My interest springs from following the goings-on with professor Jordan Peterson, whose thinking is very much influenced by Jung: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-wWBGo6a2w

I can usually deal with dry - the hardest part for me is getting started on a book. Appreciate the recommendations, and thanks for the nod to Joseph Campbell, I didn't know him by name but I recognize some of the titles of his works.
fuse
Philosopher

Postby Chakra Superstar » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:41 am

No problem. Anytime I can’t help, give me a call.
PS: I’m enjoying the Peterson talk. (The pc storm made him famous :D )
Chakra Superstar
Thinker

Return to Art, Music, and Entertainment