Where does art come from?

Share and discuss.

Where does art come from?

Postby Alf » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:38 am

What do you think about the origin of art?
User avatar
Alf
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Kriswest » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:23 am

Communication
I will be bitchy, cranky, sweet, happy, kind, pain in the ass all at random times from now on. I am embracing my mentalpause until further notice. Viva lack of total control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not a test,,, this is my life right now. Have a good day and please buckle up for safety reasons,, All those in high chairs, go in the back of the room.
User avatar
Kriswest
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 20508
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:26 pm
Location: stuck in permanent maternal mode.

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Alf » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:28 pm

Kriswest wrote:Communication

Agreed. And more exactly?
User avatar
Alf
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Kriswest » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:10 pm

About what? Art is a form of communication.
I will be bitchy, cranky, sweet, happy, kind, pain in the ass all at random times from now on. I am embracing my mentalpause until further notice. Viva lack of total control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not a test,,, this is my life right now. Have a good day and please buckle up for safety reasons,, All those in high chairs, go in the back of the room.
User avatar
Kriswest
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 20508
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:26 pm
Location: stuck in permanent maternal mode.

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Alf » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:22 pm

Kriswest wrote:About what? Art is a form of communication.

So you are saying that art comes from art?
User avatar
Alf
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Kriswest » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:26 pm

Art is communication
I will be bitchy, cranky, sweet, happy, kind, pain in the ass all at random times from now on. I am embracing my mentalpause until further notice. Viva lack of total control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not a test,,, this is my life right now. Have a good day and please buckle up for safety reasons,, All those in high chairs, go in the back of the room.
User avatar
Kriswest
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 20508
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:26 pm
Location: stuck in permanent maternal mode.

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Alf » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:48 pm

:P
Kriswest wrote:Art is communication

Yes, agreed again, but the question (as the title!) of this thread is: "Where does art come from?"
User avatar
Alf
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Kriswest » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:39 pm

It comes from the need to communicate.
I will be bitchy, cranky, sweet, happy, kind, pain in the ass all at random times from now on. I am embracing my mentalpause until further notice. Viva lack of total control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not a test,,, this is my life right now. Have a good day and please buckle up for safety reasons,, All those in high chairs, go in the back of the room.
User avatar
Kriswest
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 20508
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:26 pm
Location: stuck in permanent maternal mode.

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Amorphos » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:48 am

Duality, the more you have the greater it pulls everything apart and hence the greater one’s repetoire.
The truth is naked,
Once it is written it is lost.
Genius is the result of the entire product of man.
The cosmic insignificance of humanity, shows the cosmic insignificance of a universe without humanity.
the fully painted picture, reveals an empty canvas
User avatar
Amorphos
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 7048
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:49 pm
Location: infinity

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Alf » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:02 pm

Kriswest wrote:It comes from the need to communicate.

O(oo)k(aa)a(yy)y .... But .... What's "the need to communicate" then to you?
User avatar
Alf
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Kriswest » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:56 pm

The need to let others know things you know to let others know how you feel , to let others know know intent and a few asundry other things but, those are primary
I will be bitchy, cranky, sweet, happy, kind, pain in the ass all at random times from now on. I am embracing my mentalpause until further notice. Viva lack of total control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not a test,,, this is my life right now. Have a good day and please buckle up for safety reasons,, All those in high chairs, go in the back of the room.
User avatar
Kriswest
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 20508
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:26 pm
Location: stuck in permanent maternal mode.

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Alf » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:34 pm

Kriswest wrote:The need to let others know things you know to let others know how you feel , to let others know know intent and a few asundry other things but, those are primary

"Communication" is too general. All living beings communicate in the way you just described, most of them by using only chemical signs, some of them by using also other signs, but only humans by using also language as a very complex system of linguistic signs. So the fact that only humans have art and only humans have such a complex system of linguistic signs could be an indication of a very deep connection between them. I think that there is a developmental connection between an instinctive faith or belief on the one hand and art and language on the other hand, provided that all fundamental requirements are already given (e.g.: upright gait, relatively free hands, relatively huge and very complex brain).
User avatar
Alf
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Kriswest » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:37 am

And all that breaks down to one individual attempting to communicate to one or more individuals. Our complexity and bonds does not change that. Art is a form of communication. Tell a person how to get to a store without language. Art allows communication when words do not suffice.
I will be bitchy, cranky, sweet, happy, kind, pain in the ass all at random times from now on. I am embracing my mentalpause until further notice. Viva lack of total control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not a test,,, this is my life right now. Have a good day and please buckle up for safety reasons,, All those in high chairs, go in the back of the room.
User avatar
Kriswest
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 20508
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:26 pm
Location: stuck in permanent maternal mode.

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Alf » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:25 pm

Kriswest wrote:And all that breaks down to one individual attempting to communicate to one or more individuals. Our complexity and bonds does not change that. Art is a form of communication. Tell a person how to get to a store without language. Art allows communication when words do not suffice.

We are in agreement about that. But again: The question (as the title!) of this thread is: "Where does art come from?"

Alf wrote:Where does art come from?
Kriswest wrote:Communication
Alf wrote:
Kriswest wrote:Art is a form of communication.

So you are saying that art comes from art?
Alf wrote: :P
Kriswest wrote:Art is communication

Yes, agreed again, but the question (as the title!) of this thread is: "Where does art come from?"

If you are only saying that art comes from art (art is communication and comes from communication), then that does not or at least not sufficiently enough answer the question (as the title) of this thread: "Where does art come from?"
User avatar
Alf
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Kriswest » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:01 am

Art does not come from art. Art comes from the need to communicate, emotions, ideas , knowledge. Since my phone won't show me the emoji hitting itself on a wall could someone please place it here for me.
I will be bitchy, cranky, sweet, happy, kind, pain in the ass all at random times from now on. I am embracing my mentalpause until further notice. Viva lack of total control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not a test,,, this is my life right now. Have a good day and please buckle up for safety reasons,, All those in high chairs, go in the back of the room.
User avatar
Kriswest
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 20508
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:26 pm
Location: stuck in permanent maternal mode.

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Alf » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:14 am

Kriswest wrote:Art does not come from art.

But you've said that it does. See again:

Kriswest wrote:
Alf wrote:Where does art come from?
Communication
Kriswest wrote:Art is a form of communication.
Kriswest wrote:Art is communication

That's what you've said: Art comes from and is (a form of) communication. So the conclusion of your own words is: Art comes from art.

S o r r y .

Kriswest wrote:Art comes from the need to communicate, emotions, ideas , knowledge.

Only if you mean the interaction of human emotions, human ideas, human knowledge. And if you mean the interaction of human emotions, human ideas, human knowledge, we are again in agreement, but will have to define that more closely.

O t h e r w i s e :

We turn around in a circle again.

Alf wrote:
Kriswest wrote:It comes from the need to communicate.

O(oo)k(aa)a(yy)y .... But .... What's "the need to communicate" then to you?
Alf wrote:
Kriswest wrote:The need to let others know things you know to let others know how you feel , to let others know know intent and a few asundry other things but, those are primary

"Communication" is too general. All living beings communicate in the way you just described, most of them by using only chemical signs, some of them by using also other signs, but only humans by using also language as a very complex system of linguistic signs. So the fact that only humans have art and only humans have such a complex system of linguistic signs could be an indication of a very deep connection between them. I think that there is a developmental connection between an instinctive faith or belief on the one hand and art and language on the other hand, provided that all fundamental requirements are already given (e.g.: upright gait, relatively free hands, relatively huge and very complex brain).
Alf wrote:
Kriswest wrote:And all that breaks down to one individual attempting to communicate to one or more individuals. Our complexity and bonds does not change that. Art is a form of communication. Tell a person how to get to a store without language. Art allows communication when words do not suffice.

We are in agreement about that. But again: The question (as the title!) of this thread is: "Where does art come from?"

Alf wrote:Where does art come from?
Kriswest wrote:Communication
Alf wrote:
Kriswest wrote:Art is a form of communication.

So you are saying that art comes from art?
Alf wrote: :P
Kriswest wrote:Art is communication

Yes, agreed again, but the question (as the title!) of this thread is: "Where does art come from?"

If you are only saying that art comes from art (art is communication and comes from communication), then that does not or at least not sufficiently enough answer the question (as the title) of this thread: "Where does art come from?"

:P

Kriswest wrote:Since my phone won't show me the emoji hitting itself on a wall could someone please place it here for me.

:lol:
User avatar
Alf
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Magnus Anderson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:04 am

We create art in order to make certain valuable aspects of life persistent, to preserve them, to record or memorize them. That's the purpose of it.
I got a philosophy degree, I'm not upset that I can't find work as a philosopher. It was my decision, and I knew that it wasn't a money making degree, so I get money elsewhere.
-- Mr. Reasonable
User avatar
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3565
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Mowk » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:20 am

Where does art come from?

Does it come from anywhere or is it manifest in the moment; drawn from yesterdays headlines? Art is likely the least original thing on the planet. So far it is only a product of reflection.

And what is a thing that can only be said is the thing after consensus. It did not exist until someone claimed it as art. That should give anyone a clue to form where it comes. What of all the poor objects existing in limbo crafted by human hands, are they not objects of their own account. A screw is art. Before this was that it was thing, craft, edifice. idealog. I got a bunch of things objects, that I have crafted, no one sees them, are they art? They are lumps of clay, fashioned. Art is cultural, not absolute.

What do you think art is? The natural world does not give one fuck about what man thinks is art. That should tell us something about what we think about art.
my goal in life is to die and no one notices.
in other words; to live as audaciously as possible while drawing the least attention. Or at best something vaguely similar.
Mowk
Thinker
 
Posts: 987
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Alf » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:39 pm

Magnus Anderson wrote:We create art in order to make certain valuable aspects of life persistent, to preserve them, to record or memorize them. That's the purpose of it.

And when art is decadent it is just the other way around.
Last edited by Alf on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Alf
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Alf » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:44 pm

Mowk wrote:
Where does art come from?

Does it come from anywhere or is it manifest in the moment; drawn from yesterdays headlines? Art is likely the least original thing on the planet. So far it is only a product of reflection.

And what is a thing that can only be said is the thing after consensus. It did not exist until someone claimed it as art. That should give anyone a clue to form where it comes. What of all the poor objects existing in limbo crafted by human hands, are they not objects of their own account. A screw is art. Before this was that it was thing, craft, edifice. idealog. I got a bunch of things objects, that I have crafted, no one sees them, are they art? They are lumps of clay, fashioned. Art is cultural, not absolute.

What do you think art is? The natural world does not give one fuck about what man thinks is art. That should tell us something about what we think about art.

The "natural world" is not interested in "what man thinks is art", and man is not interested in what the natural world is interested in.
User avatar
Alf
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Mowk » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:20 pm

Do you believe then, that the natural world is capable of expressing interest?

"Fountain" by Marcel Duchamp. Art?
my goal in life is to die and no one notices.
in other words; to live as audaciously as possible while drawing the least attention. Or at best something vaguely similar.
Mowk
Thinker
 
Posts: 987
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Alf » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:30 pm

Note that I used quotation marks ("natural world") and that all living beings are part of that "natural world".

Image

ImageImageImage
User avatar
Alf
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Mowk » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:26 am

So does art come from somewhere or does it manifest given what ever shit happens to be taking place in society? It's still reactionary, a reflection.
my goal in life is to die and no one notices.
in other words; to live as audaciously as possible while drawing the least attention. Or at best something vaguely similar.
Mowk
Thinker
 
Posts: 987
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby WendyDarling » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:36 am

What about eco-friendly/environmental art? I think some animals take notice of our art out of curiosity, to play, to make a new home. What more could art represent than a "home" one can place oneself into?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 6324
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Magnus Anderson » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:36 am

Alf wrote:
Magnus Anderson wrote:We create art in order to make certain valuable aspects of life persistent, to preserve them, to record or memorize them. That's the purpose of it.

And when art is decadent it is just the other way around.


Yes, decadent art is about goofiness.
I got a philosophy degree, I'm not upset that I can't find work as a philosopher. It was my decision, and I knew that it wasn't a money making degree, so I get money elsewhere.
-- Mr. Reasonable
User avatar
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3565
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Next

Return to Art, Music, and Entertainment



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]