Where does art come from?

Share and discuss.

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Alf » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:19 am

Just an example:

i_t_a.jpg
i_t_a.jpg (10.65 KiB) Viewed 672 times

Is that art?
User avatar
Alf
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby surreptitious75 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:18 am

Art is simply how an artist perceives the world at any given time. The only limitation is imagination but beyond that nothing so
anything labelled as art is art regardless of anything else. And it comes from the mind or the soul [ the non metaphysical type ]
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Alf » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:23 pm

Alf wrote:Just an example:

Image
Is that art?

surreptitious75 wrote:Art is simply how an artist perceives the world at any given time. The only limitation is imagination but beyond that nothing so
anything labelled as art is art regardless of anything else. And it comes from the mind or the soul [ the non metaphysical type ]

So the art object above "tells" us that a certain artist who perceives the decline.
User avatar
Alf
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Arminius » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:35 pm

Alf wrote:
Alf wrote:Just an example:

Image
Is that art?

surreptitious75 wrote:Art is simply how an artist perceives the world at any given time. The only limitation is imagination but beyond that nothing so
anything labelled as art is art regardless of anything else. And it comes from the mind or the soul [ the non metaphysical type ]

So the art object above "tells" us that a certain artist who perceives the decline.

Perceiving this (?):

Guggenheim_Museum.png
Guggenheim_Museum.png (151.94 KiB) Viewed 617 times

Image
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5558
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Alf » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:57 pm

Arminius wrote:
Alf wrote:
Alf wrote:Just an example:

Image
Is that art?

surreptitious75 wrote:Art is simply how an artist perceives the world at any given time. The only limitation is imagination but beyond that nothing so
anything labelled as art is art regardless of anything else. And it comes from the mind or the soul [ the non metaphysical type ]

So the art object above "tells" us that a certain artist who perceives the decline.

Perceiving this (?):

Image
Image

It's a perceived decline. So yes.
User avatar
Alf
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Alf » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:26 pm

The earliest human cave painting is about 40000 years old. And the human internet picture I posted above is about 4 days old.

40000_Years.png
From "Cave Painting" to "Portable Network Graphics".
40000_Years.png (242.77 KiB) Viewed 539 times

:-k
User avatar
Alf
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Arminius » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:11 pm

Are you suggesting that this devolopment of fourty thousand years has only been a degeneration?
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5558
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Alf » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:20 pm

Yes and no. :)

I mean there has been a good development, but not always. There has been both progress like sunrise and regress like sunset.
User avatar
Alf
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Arminius » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:42 pm

Alf wrote:Yes and no. :)

I mean there has been a good development, but not always. There has been both progress like sunrise and regress like sunset.

You are speaking of a cycle.
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5558
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Alf » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:59 pm

Arminius wrote:
Alf wrote:Yes and no. :)

I mean there has been a good development, but not always. There has been both progress like sunrise and regress like sunset.

You are speaking of a cycle.

Yes, if you want.
User avatar
Alf
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Alf » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:41 am

I mean, if you look at the following two pictures again and think about art history:

Alf wrote:The earliest human cave painting is about 40000 years old. And the human internet picture I posted above is about 4 days old.

Image

You will probably find very artful times and nearly artless times between them , won't you?
User avatar
Alf
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Alf » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:50 am

And now, think of the question of this thread (again):

Alf wrote:Where does art come from?
User avatar
Alf
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:42 pm

Alf wrote:Just an example:

i_t_a.jpg

Is that art?



If it affects you in some way, if it speaks or reveals the truth of something, even if only one's own subjective truth, if it causes you to question life or to see something differently, from another angle, it is Art, to me.


I can say that Art comes from the psyche.

Art is ALSO an image of the self trying to express and to make sense of the world around us.

I wouldn't have that on my wall - art is a personal preference - but it is very thought provoking and also poignant to me.
It can make one wonder what it is/was that the artist is trying to say? That could be different for everyone.
Things are not always to be taken at face value.
Delving into a particular work of art can be like an archaeological dig - much to be revealed.

Perhaps it came from the same place that philosophy came from...simply put, trying to figure things out. lol
SAPERE AUDE!


If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.


What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel


I learn as I write!
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 14915
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: Ecstasy on Earth.

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Kathrina » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:02 pm

Art comes from the soul.
User avatar
Kathrina
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:50 am

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Alf » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:12 am

Kathrina wrote:Art comes from the soul.

Do you mean a culture soul?
User avatar
Alf
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby surreptitious75 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:56 am

surreptitious75 wrote:
it comes from the mind or the soul [ the non metaphysical type ]
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Kathrina » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:17 am

surreptitious75 wrote: it comes from ... the soul [ the non metaphysical type ] .

I mean the metaphysical type.
User avatar
Kathrina
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:50 am

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Alf » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:57 am

Kathrina wrote:
surreptitious75 wrote: it comes from ... the soul [ the non metaphysical type ] .

I mean the metaphysical type.

Do you think that this metaphysical type is the motor not only for art as one cultural appearance, but also for all other cultural appearances?
User avatar
Alf
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Kathrina » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:21 pm

Alf wrote:
Kathrina wrote:
surreptitious75 wrote: it comes from ... the soul [ the non metaphysical type ] .

I mean the metaphysical type.

Do you think that this metaphysical type is the motor not only for art as one cultural appearance, but also for all other cultural appearances?

Yes. The metaphysical soul is just one of the reasons why I joined ILP.
User avatar
Kathrina
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:50 am

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:31 pm

Kathrina wrote:
surreptitious75 wrote: it comes from ... the soul [ the non metaphysical type ] .

I mean the metaphysical type.


What is the *other* type of soul - you mentioned the "metaphysical type"?
SAPERE AUDE!


If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.


What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel


I learn as I write!
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 14915
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: Ecstasy on Earth.

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Kathrina » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:21 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:
Kathrina wrote:
surreptitious75 wrote: it comes from ... the soul [ the non metaphysical type ] .

I mean the metaphysical type.


What is the *other* type of soul - you mentioned the "metaphysical type"?

There is no other type. So, I didn't mention that there was one. Surreptitious did. So, ask him.
User avatar
Kathrina
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:50 am

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:44 pm

Katrina said:

I mean the metaphysical type.

What is the *other* type of soul - you mentioned the "metaphysical type"?

There is no other type. So, I didn't mention that there was one. Surreptitious did. So, ask him.


You saying "I mean the metaphysical type" suggests that you see another type.

If you used the word *psyche* belonging to all aspects of the human being or Self, then I might agree with you that art can come from that soul.
But that isn't necessarily eternal.
SAPERE AUDE!


If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.


What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel


I learn as I write!
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 14915
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: Ecstasy on Earth.

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Kathrina » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:48 pm

I don't see another type.

Again:

surreptitious75 wrote: it comes from ... the soul [ the non metaphysical type ] .

Ask Surreptitious.
User avatar
Kathrina
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:50 am

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Arminius » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:35 am

So, okay, then. Alf's question must be answered now. Right?

Art belongs to culture.
Culture is based on a soul.
Thus art is also based on a soul.

Alf's question:

Alf wrote:Where does art come from?

The answer:

    "Art comes from a soul".

Is that right, Alf?
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5558
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Where does art come from?

Postby Alf » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:46 am

Arminius wrote:So, okay, then. Alf's question must be answered now. Right?

Art belongs to culture.
Culture is based on a soul.
Thus art is also based on a soul.

Alf's question:

Alf wrote:Where does art come from?

The answer:

    "Art comes from a soul".

Is that right, Alf?

Yes, it is.
User avatar
Alf
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

PreviousNext

Return to Art, Music, and Entertainment



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users