Five awful movies

Drag me to Hell: I respect Alison Lohman’s performance, but the movie’s representation of reality feels spiteful; I find this often to be the case with Sam Raimi’s films (the only two films of his I actually respect are the first Spider-Man and Evil Dead 2013).

Avengers Age of Ultron: bland, and hasn’t the needed focus. The movie is juggling too many strands and characters, and overall the tone is a bit annoying (especially the depiction of Ultron).

Terminator Genisys: the absolute opposite to the original film. The 1984 movie is one of the greatest movies ever made, and everything that makes that movie great is absent in Genisys.

Bicentennial Man: the hardest to place on this list, because of its being derived from Asimov’s material, and there genuinely is a good film that exists somewhere in what was produced. A bit like Drag Me To Hell’s problem’s of representing reality, Bicentennial Man suffers from its two dimensional and clichéd view of reality; the earliest parts of the film I think work the best, and in fact that that’s what the whole movie should have been - a whole runtime of a family living with a robot, and the representation of that co-existence.

Batman Returns: despite being the immediate sequel to Batman, De Vito’s Penguin I just don’t feel measures up whatsoever to Nicholson’s Joker, the former lacking the latter’s true moments of charisma and screen presence - and the appearance of Gotham City is way too gothic.