Casablanca
Citizen Kane
The Searchers
The Godfather I
The Godfather II
The Wizard Of Oz
Gone With The Wind
2001 A Space Odyssey

Would you rank Goodfellas above something like The Terminator?

Yes I would most definitely rank Goodfellas above The Terminator

I think The Terminator is possibly the greatest movie ever made. However I’d accept Alien as having the edge over it, or even something like the recent Spectre.
What is it about Goodfellas that you think makes it perhaps the best movie, or one of the best?

I like cinema that is tight and dark and serious regardless of anything else. And all of my listed films have those
elements to a greater or lesser degree. And the tighter and darker and serious they are the better they are too

I agree with your concerns. Artificial intelligence is another great movie (with perhaps the strongest movie ending), however it has things in it that undermine it (namely moments of action that I feel are inappropriate).

I’ve seen Goodfellas many times, and though I respect it, I’d never watch it instead of a movie like A.I or Star Wars The Force Awakens because the latter movies are the sorts of forces of nature that make me think about transcendence.
The ending of A.I is so emotionally powerful, powerful enough that if I could only watch one movie for the rest of my life, I’d watch it.