Your favorite quotes

I am creating this thread out of interest in what everyone’s favorite quotations are. :slight_smile:

I have a few in my signature, I just found this one and I love it.

“For truth is truth, though, never so old, and time cannot make that false which once was true.” -Edward de Vere, 17th Earl of Oxford.

Quotes by Einstein

“A human being is a part of a whole, called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest… a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.”

“A person starts to live when he can live outside himself.”

“The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there’s no risk of accident for someone who’s dead.”

“Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism – how passionately I hate them!”

“No, this trick won’t work…How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?”

“My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.”

“Yes, we have to divide up our time like that, between our politics and our equations. But to me our equations are far more important, for politics are only a matter of present concern. A mathematical equation stands forever.”

“The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking…the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker.”

“Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.”

“The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.”

“The further the spiritual evolution of mankind advances, the more certain it seems to me that the path to genuine religiosity does not lie through the fear of life, and the fear of death, and blind faith, but through striving after rational knowledge.”

“One had to cram all this stuff into one’s mind for the examinations, whether one liked it or not. This coercion had such a deterring effect on me that, after I had passed the final examination, I found the consideration of any scientific problems distasteful to me for an entire year.”

“He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder.”

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the the universe.”

“Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.”

“Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.”

“The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible.”

“We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.”

“Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school.”

“The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.”

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”

A small thread from a while back with a list of good quotes: What philosophical maxims are worthy of consideration?

Before you joined, Artimas, one of the moderators committed suicide. The above was a quote of his.

When Mandela died, I posted a thread with some of his quotes (that I find really meaningful) - RIP Mandela, with love

RIP to him. That quote is true.

“Love is all and love is everyone
It is knowing, it is knowing” - Tomorrow Never Knows by the beatles.

I have had my own experience with depression, and thinking those thoughts. But I always come back to the conclusion of, there is a lot to do and if I don’t do it who will do it like I do. A lot to work on.

[size=150]From the king of quotes himself…[/size]

In lak’ech.

Intellectuals.
be yourself.jpg

“The cycle below is not truly below but only
different in space and in time.
The consciousness there is working and
testing lesser things than those ye are.
And know, just as ye are working on greater,
so above ye are those who are also working
as ye are on yet other laws.
The difference that exists between the cycles
is only in ability to work with the Law.
We, who have being in cycles beyond thee,
are those who first came forth from the
Source and have in the passage through
time-space gained ability to use
Laws of the Greater that are far beyond
the conception of man.
Nothing there is that is really below thee
but only a different operation of Law.”

oooooooooooooooooooooo that’s so precious. I love wolves.

And those Mayan words are oh so true.

When you put your hand in a flowing stream, you touch the last that has gone before and the first of what is still to come."

• Leonardo da Vinci

Never fought harder than this, I built my temple on this
Pushing, fighting, bleeding, taking, giving
Every second closer to the ceiling
I will assemble all this, down to the last broken piece
Tension in the atmosphere is lower, gravity is slowly taking over. - Soen

‘What’s the difference between me and a madman?
That i am not mad’

Salvador Dali

“An inveterate obfuscation of a rudimentary conceptual awareness, opaque to most; but transparent to the trenchant intuition. A subterranean trembling dissimulating itself under the mellifluous. Even the slightest peak will ossify its intellectual turpitude. The sedulous tends to make it irate and keenly aware of its inherent ineptitude. It will continue to cavil and regurgitate its casuistry, contrary to the largess bestowed on it.”- Erik Redbrows, 2015, On The Use Of The Thesaurus.

I’ll betcha 10 bucks he is running his text through a synonym generator.

imagesCAPZWH18.jpg

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else’s opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.
[list]~Oscar Wilde[/list:u]

I would like more people to embrace their religion; not the religion they belong to. The religion of life, instead, that comes from being them.
[list]~Jayson[/list:u]

I respect deities. I do not rely on them.
[list]~Musashi Miyamoto[/list:u]

=>#

=>#

=>#

=>#

[tab]

Translation: Scene in Auerbach’s cellar. From Goethe’s “Faust”. Mephisto bewitches the students.[/tab]

=>#

The philosopher Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king. Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’

Said [author:Diogenes|3213618, 'Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king".”
― Anthony de Mello