Movie 43

All the critics are wrong. It’s not like old Farrelly or Kentucky fried move or groove tube. It’s closer the waters-pink-flamingo shocksploitation / Warhol experiment. It’s an art film of course and deeply metaphored and relevant and human. It’s funny at times but mere funny is not the ideal. What it is, is cathartic, unfiltered, animal, infintile, daring, blunt, and reflects more of the human psyche than anything that came before. It’s also featuring a lot of hot women saying and doing weird things, which is nice. Emma stone pouting erotically and saying “you still like fingers in your ass” is what the people want. This mirror of our juvenile inner child is profound. 4 stars

I think Mondo Cane films did it better.

Hi Pandora. Yes, I wasn’t a fan of Mondo Cane, or Faces of Death type stuff. But it is in that vein in the sense that it’s a hijacking, an assault of sorts, to challenge our comfort level. Many of us (including me) in the theater felt a bit hijacked, as if WE were at gunpoint. It was not a pleasant film-watching experience at times, but this is what impresses me. The feeling in the theater is palpable. People are paralyzed. We can’t fucking believe what we are seeing. It feels illegal. And it’s this feeling, that for me, signals that art is afoot. A disruptor of sorts. That’s why I can’t really call it a comedy – that misses the point. It’s more of an exorcism. An explosion, a synthesis.

One thing of interest is how wrong I am about this. In the sense that critics who are far smarter and more committed to film seem to NOT be saying any of what I’m saying. They all seem angry, and also HAPPY to be slamming the film.