Anyone here play Civilization 5?

so do you ?

I did for a bit.

only the pirated version over LAN

gods and kings? wanna try to play a game against me?

I don’t have the expansion, and you’d have to be at my house since I don’t have a legal copy

There must be a way!

I’m pretty sure there isn’t, even connecting to someone’s IP uses the game’s thingy

Played it for a bit, occasionally dip in but I must say CIV was better. CiV never seemed to do anything more than any other civ did, even the 1UPT was just a rehash of CivII and it didn’t work in that either. I used to play multiplayer on CIV but on CiV I would not even bother. It was a failed experiment, sure it got rid of mass stack attacks in favour of more realism, but it was at the expense of less fun.

You can’t play any game these days with an illegal copy, unless you are willing to endlessly update your hack. CiV you can play single player but multiplayer is not going to work, and multiplayer is the only way to get any real competition with civ. I can honestly say games are the only medium I would never think of using hacks on, or dl illegal copies, unless they were very old games that no longer existed in shops, but that’s probably because hackers destroyed the ZX spectrum, Atari and Amiga markets in games and thus the systems, of which I am ashamed to admit I was part of the piracy on the open seas, if not the hacks.

I think I prefer civ 5 the unit tactics is more realistic… but then yeah some of the features aren’t as great, but once you get used to it it is fun as hell.

I just beat ‘Total Rome, Napoleon’ and started playing ‘Total War, Shogun 2’ last night. I used to play the civilizations game, and even had the revolutions for Itouch two years back. If seems to be a more advanced version of the old Sim City games from the 90s, but is more primitive than the Total War genra. The AI isn’t that good on TW however… the battles are very easy to exploit, and the psychological values of attack are questionable. They read Colonel Du Picq, but not Colonel Boyd… if units are statistically defined a priori, and not allowed to react and account for themselves, then they act predictibly well in advanced, and it’s just pathetically simple to encourage them into flanking attacks with their best forces if your willing to lose a couple of men. In the end, it’s all just a bright and vibrant modification given in a fun media format of tame Calculus the military has used since 1917. All these games are… I tell people all they are doing is maniuplating a giant, ongoing math problem, and they look at me like I am nuts, but it’s the sad truth.

Do you getto build and manipulate cities in total war?

The beauty of civ Contra, is it’s gradually become as complicated or as simple as you want it to be. You can micromanage slow down the passage of time to get intimately involved with all the different areas of your cities your civ and their governments, or you can just progress at a fast pace to the point where you win, if you achieve one of 5 key goals, total wipeout of all other civs (this gets you the highest score because on any but the simpler levels in any civ it’s quite hard), domination: owning more than 2/3 of the planet, a diplomacy victory where you are voted king of the UN, or a space victory/science victory where you colonise another planet first and lastly the rather easier culture victory where everyone agrees you have built the most cultural icons and buildings that farm that cultural influence so that you are unforgettable throughout time, like the Romans say.

All of them are a challenge on higher levels, and you can chose a lot of things that will help you start securely, but sooner or later if you don’t have a big army or very good diplomaxy, or advanced military units, or in some cases religion, someone somewhere will move on you and wipe you out. Fantastically simple game after you learn it, but it can also be fantastically complicated if you want it to.

Then when you have beaten it on diety level, play multiplayer and be humbled by the real Gods of the game, or if you are not and sometimes a Messiah comes along, get on a ladder ranking and compare yourself to the masters when you reach no1. :slight_smile:

I was not a fan of CiV but in multiplayer it is way better than the single player experience. Human beings are just that much better than idiot “AIs”.

The idiot AI still has to be dealt with in the statistical… whereas in real life, we’ve traditionally just cut out the need for a AI and got idiots to follow the statistics, and ruthlessly fired them when they took the truth of the statistics too literally.

When you line up a army, even when human controlled, that army followes at it’s modular base rules for behavior. I tell it to stand so far apart… and the apartness is what the statistics for every element in the battle that matters… everything intuitively knows this because that’s how the programming reacts. It lacks the friction of war, and formlessness isn’t all that formless. These are key strategic concepts that were developed to explain why shit falls apart in actual, real life experiences of battle. The AI at best randomizes preset certain elements to make it look like it’s unknowns… but the program was developed by mathematicians, with the problems inherent in mathematics… 1+1=2 every time, and Pi is Pi every day, every moment. In reality, that’s not the case. Engineering doesn’t accept it, and we legally inforce measures to insure redundency and safeguards.

When your playing against another- your playing to a rule based system that has a internalized intelligence. Your really three people playing on the nuance understanding of the AI, in how to manipulate it. There is no city, no army- a reactive code that thinks largely on it’s own and does it’s own thing.

Yes, in total war you can build cities. It tries to be historically realistic, so the major cities are where they are… but you can build forts anywhere, and you have to manage technological trees and taxation, rioting, troop numbers, and most of all- the tactics and strategy of such troops. It’s much more advanced than Civilizations was last time I played it on a computer and the current Iphone version.

Just remember that- in a simulation using formulic intelligence, your playing not just against the other individual, but also against the AI itself. It’s in everything you built, and controls your actions more than you can, and I haven’t seen a system yet that reaches my own complexity. I’ve seen fools figure out a few hat tricks in understanding the AI and the parameters of the game and breat it rapidly. Your really just playing against the computer programming team, and the architects of the processor in your computer.

Total wars AI is just as redundant for the reasons you gave as CIVs.

All I would say is play against people, you can ally with them, kill them or make them obsolete, you can even heaven forbid let them steal land from you on the off chance of coming back after that enormous army that you made that stunted your development lands right next to their capital from the sea and ruins any chance they have of winning. Real people are clever, you will never get the feeling of an “AI” being clever as the technology stands atm on any game anywhere.

civ from civ 3 has a multiplayer and a ladder system that will teach you what playing means, you will always be humiliated by more experienced more unpredictable and cunning liars than you would against an algorithm (AKA dumb ass “AI”).

Well I am not working for Firaxis or the new owners, all I would suggest is that you play the later games, and when you win on Diety level you play the world, it’s one of the few games you can play everyone and anyone in the world.

Lastly I would not compare Total Wars gaming experience to civ, civ always had a 100 page manual total war lacks that. Both games are excellent but civ is by far and a way more complex.

I have played it but I have not played the expansion. I legally baught mine.

I own Civ V and its “Gods and Kings” expansion.
Not any other DlC though, that adds Polynesia and Babylon etc.
I never played any of the other Civs though as I didn’t own a computer when they came out, I often hear of the superiority of Civ II or Civ IV.

I wouldn’t know really, I Also played Total War games but, Empire, Napoleon and Shougn 2 cause my computer to crash a lot so it’s a real hassle to play them, i still tried to though.

The city management is quite shallow in that game though and the conquests and importance of population,resources, money etc. isn’t really involved as it focuses more on the Real time battles which admitted online against real people, especially in team battles are som of the most magnificant and exhilerating game experiances i’ve ever had.

If you want and even deeper system try Parodx Games, “Europa Universalis III” with it’ expansions, “Crusader kings 2”, or “Victoria II”. And if you want more combat orientated their also the WWII based “Hearts of Iron III”.

To go on a tangent. I had a batlle with the “Fall of the Samurai” expansion which allows Traditional Samurai armies to face modernized units. On this map took place in a vally with large Rolling hills on the sides in the middle of the map.
My Ally who i thought was bringing a modern army brought a force consiting exclusively of cavalry, with a majority being bow Cavalry and some Ktan Cavalry if my memory serves me correct.
I had brought absolutely no Ranged capability having an army of, Katana,No-Daichi,Naginata samurai and Attendants with 2 Katana Cavalry and 1 Yari Cavalry.

I was positioned on the left side of the map , me and my direct advesary rushed for the hill, and our Cavalry charged for the dojo (basically an point of capture that gives your force a morale buff)
My Yari were copletely destroyed/routed by the time my allies melee cave reached the point to aid me to which i had one Katan cav still at gull strenght and one at a quarter strength.
I should mention that during this whole time my opponent direct front of my ally was continually Bambarding my infantry ranks, I kept the whole of my force behind the stepp hill in oder to limit casualties but all they could do was sit there at eat the artillery fire.

It was at this time my adversary moved from behnid the hill in front of my hill and restread along with his ally to a much further back and shorter hill.

This was a Godsend to me, as soon as they were to far back to run to their former positions or fire on me I chared my full force behind the other hill and put my cavalry in the forest on the left side of the map.
A lot of manuevering whent on and their was even a poin t where they tried to get rifle fire on my right flank but they were diven back. Meanwhile while the enemy armies largely stayed in a defensive postion on a shallow hill and near their own woods in the middle of the map firing breech loaded artillery all the way until they ran out of ammunition, my Ally and I fought a small skirmish for conrtol of the woods on the left side. So now in almost bround cone on the left Flank on the hills to the forest we rested our troops for a bit, he still had som cavalry on the right flank hills he wanted to get into position…

My ally asked me if i was ready, I told him I was, he then luanche his cavalry from the woods on the left along with a couple of my samurai regiments taking fire from along the whole front except the exterm right . I then ordered the rest of my army into loose formation and charger haedlong against my advesary, my heart was pumping with adrenaline in this all or nothing blitz, the enemy ranks weren’t able to get more than one volley on me before I had my men close ranks and smash the enemy, stabbing and slicing off limbs and heads.

They slaughtered with no reserve the enemy ranks and then the other army positioned in the woods fired on our front killing more of his allies men then he did mine.

That said much of my army was heavily damaged and my allies cavalry on the left was essentially destroyed in it’s suicidal but necessary diversionary charge, but i used the momentum and order the majotiry of my army to charge the woods while a few remained back to slaughter or rout the remaining forces. My all then broguht up some cavlary on his right to stop the enemy from pulling back, and we then encircled them with force of spears and swords,slaughtering all those that had not fled.

We used our terrain, our Ela’n, and coordination to control the battlefield and use our enemies overtly defensive posture against them in order to attain a great victory in a battle that should have been one sided.

Civ IV or just CIV is the best so far, it wasn’t perfect but it was more fun than the others on both multiplayer and single player. It was also the first game to be infinitely modable because of the python scripts open access, which basically meant you could play in any scenario you could imagine from Mordor to Star Trek. For reasons that are too complex and too many to get into it was a fine game. :slight_smile:

Everything is just a complicated math problem…

Except your mum. :stuck_out_tongue:

In games yes, in real life no. :slight_smile: