Suggest and rate movies

I’m home for another month before I head back to Florida, and I’m bored out of my mind. I’ve been watching a lot of movies. You can ask me about the movies in the pic, or discuss them, or suggest me something along those lines.

OKAY… MAKE WAY…

PS… Lemme know if you want me to screenshot the rest of my 600+ movies collection :slight_smile:

Uploaded at Picoodle.com

I also have catloguing software so could screenshot lists of comedies/actions etc… if you’d prefer :slight_smile:

EDIT: Haha lol, i was just about to ask you what you thought of Coriolanus, but then i noticed your username ha :laughing:

What are you 10/10s?

?? what do you mean?

I mean what are the movies you have which you would rate 10 out of 10.

[tab]I saw Pan’s Labyrinth last night and it was freaking amazing. The ending blew me away.[/tab]

I love the play, but the movie was a bit dry. I hate to say this, but a soundtrack would have done wonders for the film

Ooh tricky, but i enjoy recommending stuff from my collection - after all its just sitting there otherwise.
If you gimme a little time i’ll come up with a good list. Would help if you let me know if there’s any kind of movie you’re not keen on ?

PS. Never read the play but love Shakespeare. Personally i think they shouldn’t have done it in Skaesperean-esque at all, unless it was a period piece. The idea is phenomonal (Roman Empire carrying on through to today) but I’d have made it more accessible and still based it on the play. I think Fiennes is sniffing for an Oscar myself.

Well, the list and my ratings should give you an idea. I have to say that I dislike horror flicks, and movies with gore. I typically look for a nice blend of intellectual themes and entertainment, though I don’t have a problem with mindless entertainment.

Fiennes is amazing in it. I didn’t mind the Shakespearean dialogue. It gave it a serious and epic feel. Personally I would not have minded if Leonidas played Coriolanus and Fiennes played Tullus.

Anonymous is a good film about the Shakespearean authorship thing.

Ye i would have preferred Butler to have more of a role in Coriolanus - might I ask: has that been your username since you joined 3,711 posts ago lol?

If you give me til tomorrow Ill try and pick out the gems - unfortunately it does take time now I’ve amassed so much, but in the meantime if you haven’t watched ‘Lars and The Real Girl’ I’d highly recommend it!
Also another good one, that kinda went under the radar is ‘Don McKay’ - a very funny yet unusual black comedy.

EDIT: Personally i hated Melancholia, but another movie with similar premise (which isn’t great but better at least) is Another Earth. Although the ending of Melancholia just about made up for the rest of it but i wouldn’t watch it again

I joined this site when I was 19 after I took my first philosophy course. My name was Duder back then. Then I think I went with Erlir, then Tristan, xzc for the longest time, and now Coriolanus.

Awesome. Speaking of under the radar, 50/50 and Win Win were amazing.

Honestly, I only downloaded Melancholia to see Kiersten Dunst naked. I skipped through until I found those parts.
[tab]Worth it. Best boobs in hollywood.[/tab]

I recently watched two great films from 2009 I believe. One was an Argentinan Oscar winning movie called The Secret in Their Eyes (El secreto de sus ojos), just excellent. Even better and more deserving of the Oscar, imo, was the German film called The White Ribbon (Das Weisse Band), a disturbing and rather harrowing look at a pre WWI German village which gives us a good look at the social cauldron that produced the next generation of Nazis. I would give The Secret in Their Eyes an 8.5 and The White Ribbon a 9.

The Artist was good, but I think the cliched plot brought it down a bit in spite of virtuosic acting on the part of Dujardin. It was worth watching just for that performance alone, along with the dog’s. I give it a 7.5 and Dujardin a 10+.

Lol cool name anyways :slight_smile:

Personally 50/50 was kinda uncomfortable for me as I suffer from ME and for various reasons it just depressed the cr@p out of me lol - good film tho indeed!
Thanks for the Win Win recommendation - I avoided that one when it came up i think, ill check it out.

Im a big fan of Ryan Gosling’s movies - it’s difficult to find a bad one and he’s been the lead in nearly every film he’s ever done - a truly incredible actor if u ask me!

Agora tought me a lot about history and ‘put’ me in ancient Alexandria when the Great Library was destroyed - such a pivotal event in our history and Weisz did it justice as Hypatia.
Gentlemen Broncos is a comedy with a very different sense of humour to most - better than Napoleon Dynamite imho and worth a watch but i warn: you’ll either love it or hate it. It has Sam Rockwell who
can be really funny when he needs to be (and also shines in Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy.

Best space film i have seen: Danny Boyle’s ‘Sunshine’
Best superhero movie: X Men First Class
Best unorthodox superhero movie - Griff The Invisible (australian)
Best mainstream romcom of recent years: Crazy, Stupid, Love
Best westerns: 3:10 To Yuma & The Quick And The Dead
Best high-school comedy: The New Guy
Best character-driven comedy: Carnage
Best ending: Stay
Best martial-arts action: Equilibrium
Best biopic: Flash Of Genius
Most unpredictable of recent years: Hesher
Most heart-warming: Amelie

more to come tomorrow…

EDIT: Haven’t seen those foreign ones, although have heard of the secret in their eyes, but did enjoy The Artist :slight_smile:

EDIT2: I know you don’t like horror but this one is 0% gore and i wouldn’t necessarily class it as a horror anyway - more a tale about some friends who venture too far into the Bermuda Triangle… “Triangle”
Tis the only ‘horro’ i’d recommend to someone who doesn’t like horror films… tis a mind-bender more than anything and was my favourite film for quite some time and still in my top five

Recommendations:

Moon - Story about a dude who works alone on the moon. Amazing soundtrack, great concept, great cast, and some actual models being used instead of lazy CGI.

Margin Call - Corporate thriller about the banking crisis. Some of the best dialogue I’ve seen in a movie, spoken by some of my favourite actors. Is a bit of a morality tale about banksters.

Three Days of the Condor - CIA conspiracy ‘fiction’ with a very young Robert Redford and Faye Dunaway. Basically the best conspiracy movie ever made.

United 93 - Hilariously inaccurate pseudo-reality flick about the fourth plane on 9/11. Directed by Paul Greengrass, who is best known in the UK for making films about the ‘Troubles’ and is best known in the US for making the second and third Jason Bourne (James Bond) movies. You don’t have to look very far to find out why he was given the job.

The Arrival - Charlie Sheen in the worst conspiracy movie ever made. Unmissable.

To OP for a second opinion on those flicks…

Moon - great movie, written specifically for Sam Rockwell (one of my fave actors) - worth a watch, if only once. Solo actor carries film on his own! Good stuff :slight_smile:

Margin Call - very fast, intellectual dialougue not unlike the writing of Aaron Sorkin (The West Wing) - very good drama about modern economics (requires constant attention to follow properly)

Haven’t seen 3 ays on the condor.

United 93 - hmm, worth a watch but nothing show-stopping - as STATD said, its a film response to the events of 9/11 and was the first one made about it i think

The Arrival - easily the cheesiest ever lol, although i do have this in my collection embarassingly enough lol :slight_smile:

Some good recommendations from Statd

I’m not particularly excited about foreign films, but I’ll check those out. Thanks!

Definitively. The best part was the young actor.

Well, I was not a huge fan of Drive. I know he was trying to portray a stoic Clint badass Eastwood type character, but he ended up looking autistic.

I’m a huge fan of Sam Rockwell. Will check out.

I saw Sunshine when it first came out, and again a couple weeks of ago. I didn’t mind the slasher/horror twist in the end.

Saw this one, too. There are so many good superhero films! I’m with the Nolan bandwagon in saying his Batman movies have been the best, though I prefer the first over the second. In the Dark Knight the ending is stupid and moralistic. It apparently turned out everything boiled down to a simple matter of Batman being right about human beings, and the Joker being wrong. I’m talking about the boat scene/prisoner’s dilemma.

Agreed. I liked it a lot.

Seen it!

I’m completely not interested in movies about high school, though Chronicle was good and it was about a bunch of high school kids.

Will check these out.

Alrighty

I actually don’t have a problem with CGI, but I’ve seen Moon and you’re right, it was amazing. I downloaded a bunch of the songs from the soundtrack after watching it.

I’ll watch it for the dialogue, but I don’t care much for the conspiracy theory type flicks.

Batman by Nolan - easily the best Im with you there lol i didnt mention it because i tend to assume most people have already checked them out lol :slight_smile:
Can’t wait til he ‘Rises’ !!

Similarly, i threw in Amelie as an afterthought because i presumed you may have seen it (sorry bout that) but if you haven’t it really is a must-see, despite the subtitles
I’m not really into foreign-language films too much but Amelie is seriously the happiest film i think it’s possible to watch :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Now, onto Drive and where it went wrong…

Producers come together and say, “Hey, i know lets round up all of the most hotly-tipped talent of our calendar day and put the mall in one movie!”
Gosling, Mulligan and the newly beloved Cranston from ‘Breaking Bad’ (whose film career is already going downhill lol)

They wanted to take the thing people love most about Gosling’s acting and amplify it for all to see, but his forte is silences (specifically his ability to act really well with his face)
so they ended up with loads of pauses [beats] which were unnaturally long. I loved the soundtrack, the opening scene (with the 80’s reminiscent pink credits) and some of Gosling’s face acting but as a whole movie,
there’s not enough there for me to really recommend it or even watch it again myself for a while.

Gosling has put in some brilliant performances… United States Of Leland, Murder By Numbers… but the best overall films he has done are 3.Crazy, Stupid, Love : 2. Stay : and 1 (the best!). ‘Lars and The Real Girl’

PS. Nolan’s boat scene in Dark Knight was great viewing but sooooo unrealistic lol - in reality I doubt many socio-psychologists would think it would happen any other way than at least one boat explosion! :slight_smile:

Closer 10/10

Probably the best dialogue of any movie I’ve seen.

is really good too.

Watch the Transformers trilogy back to back and then tell me you don’t have a problem with CGI. Aside from kids movies, CGI has ruined filmmaking. At least a bit.

It isn’t a ‘conspiracy theory type flick’, it actually pulls quite a lot of punches on that score and my major criticism is that it perpetuates the notion that the crash was somehow the result of free market capitalism.

As I have said many times before, the best two films ever made are Robocop and Who Framed Roger Rabbit? If any of you have not yet seen these films then drop whatever you are doing and get on with it.