Game of Thrones

As I’m sure you can all agree, this is the best show to have ever graced TV. It’s even better than Breaking Bad, it pains me to say - not that much, though.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlztK6yrDUg[/youtube]

This is a thread for all things game of thrones. Predictions? Think you hate Joffrey more than me? Disagree that Tyrion is the coolest character? Think Cercei has any redeeming qualities whatsoever? Seriously doubt that Robb is going to die and that the Stark children are going to have terrible fates?

Predictions?
Prediction: the show will generally follow the books.

Never watched it.

This is true. I haven’t read the books, and don’t plan on it. I should have specified them readers of books are not welcome here.

I don’t think it’s the best show, but it is pretty awesome. the intro may very well be the best intro – at least in the top 5 of awesome intros.

Long-Term Prediction: I think the Lannisters and Starks will maybe get into the beginnings of a serious war, but it will be put on hold when the monsters from north of the wall invade, they will team together against them. Meanwhile that bitch with the Dragons will have ammassed an army, and while the Lannisters and Starks are distracted by the monsters from the north, she’ll reclaim the kingdom for her family.

I’ve seen the first season. Loved it!

I watch it but I don’t think it’s all that. I was never really into the kings/medieval times/supernatural/lord of the rings kind of stuff.

And please, it’s miles away from Breaking Bad. Speaking of which, I think the last season of breaking bad starts next month :smiley:

Breaking Bad definitely has the edge (more clever, more original), but GoT is still one of the few shows worth watching. Ned Stark was my favorite character… now I’d say it’s Arya. The show wouldn’t be the same without Tyrion, though.

[tab]Ever since Ned died the show has been lacking a strong lead male character. Robb hasn’t really proven himself yet, plus I also think he might die before long. John Snow is still kind of a “boy.” Theon is all over the place with what he wants and whose House he aims to please. Tyrion is…well…unequipped. Ser Jorah Mormontis the closest to such a type, but I’m not sure if he’ll ever be anything more than Daenerys Targaryen’s protector. Speaking of those two, does anyone else detect the beginning of a romantic relationship? They’re obviously really important to each other, and I think their recent arguments are a sign of sexual tension. Anyone else?[/tab]

Breaking Bad is like the Simpsons compared to GOT

I wish people would get off that show. It’s about meth. It’s OK. That’s it.

How many medieval fantasy stories (epics even) are there about various warring factions? How many stories are there about high school chemistry teachers who team up with former students to manufacture meth?

How many stories take fairly average people and play out how they become deeply involved in the methamphetamine industry, the different levels of the industry, what it’s semi-actually like to make meth, why someone would do it, etc…and do it very well as a realistic drama with a good dose of humor and absurdity on the side?

You may think you know where the show is headed but it’s not over yet. It’ll be interesting to see how much deeper Walter gets into it and if it’s at all possible for him to get out of it, and whether there’s still some humanity left in him (or whether there ever was). There seems to be more character background, dynamics, and development in Breaking Bad because it’s only focused on a few core people as opposed to the throng of characters in GoT. That is to say nothing of GoT the books, however.

I could just as easily say that Got is LOTR 2.0.

Game of Thrones is to Breaking Bad

as

Apples is to Oranges

:wink:

You could say that, but no one, including you, would believe it.

Breaking Bad is OK/pretty good.

Anyone asserting it’s the be-all-end-all is definitely American, or Volchuck, who is I think an American living in another country.

Hell no, man. Jorah is Lord of House Friendzone. He will be to Daeny what Littlefinger was to Catelyn.

[tab][/tab]

lol.

Although I will say this. The scene where Walter ends up under his house at the end is maybe like the most intense ending of an episode ever. Either that or that barn door opening one from Walking Dead.

Yeah you’re not going to get laid with lines like ‘Sometimes I can’t believe that you exist’

I don’t know man. I’ll watch Walking Dead until it gets canceled, but that show lacks the depth of Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones. The characters are, and I’m sorry to say, one dimensional. GoT wins over Breaking Bad because it has very well-developed regrettably flawed and inevitably doomed characters atop of an extremely well world, but that’s only because it’s the product of a couple decade’s worth of work of an obsessive neckbeard. It’ll always win out over any show. Also, it’s why Varys will never die in that show. He’s so conscious of the world he lives in, I almost want to say he breaks breaks the fourth wall by his very existence in it. He doesn’t seem to have deep commitments, any convictions or moral qualms, or be resentful for his lack of balls. Littlefinger on the other hand, who I see as the other puppet-master, is going to die horribly. You can see why in this scene.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PEsR1fdGTA[/youtube]

That said, I’m looking forward to the new Breaking Bad season waaaay more than the Game of Thrones season finale, which says something.

Walking Dead is about Rick. His character has changed quite a bit. It’s similar to Breaking Bad in that they are going from the good guy to bad. It’s a satire-drama, so the characters are going to be archetypal to a certain extend.

Yes when that scene happened I knew it was one of those major scenes. The way Martin works with archetypes is way better. It’s as if, as you said, GOT is self-aware. That’s what makes it so interesting. Definitely post-modern, despite how it looks.

I’m not American. I’m Portuguese.
Furthermore, didn’t the op started this topic implying that Got was the be-all-end-all?