So, what books are you reading right now?

Share and discuss.

Re: So, what books are you reading right now?

Postby Fent » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:56 am

Dostoyevski's The Idiot
Fent
Philosopher

Postby inzydeout » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:11 pm

karla wrote:I'm currently reading a Neil Gaimon book but I've forgotten the title!

This is my first Gaimon book. I've been taking an interest in the horror genre recently and it was in this context that Gaimon's name came up.

One reason I quite enjoy Gaimon is his 'fairy tale' style of writing. Except that they are contemporary fairy tales, which can also be as grim as the Grimm variety.

Another reason I enjoy the book is that he's, say, writing a story about an elderly lady Mrs Smith of Privet Drive - or some such - who just happens to go to a charity shop and who just happens to buy the Holy Grail. I like the mixture of everyday and fantasy.

Hey where else could I find these so called horror books?
Do you have any recommendations?
Inzydeout

"Send my credentials to the house of detention."
"For those who need direction, allow my words of advice be enough guidance in this senseless world."
"Beware the fury of a patient man."

Pneumatic-Coma :mrgreen:
inzydeout

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:47 pm

The Story of Philosophy
The Lives and Opinions of The Greater Philosophers
Will Durant

(just working my way backwards) :lol:
“How can a bird that is born for joy
Sit in a cage and sing?”
― William Blake

“Little Fly
Thy summers play,
My thoughtless hand
Has brush'd away.

Am not I
A fly like thee?
Or art not thou
A man like me?

For I dance
And drink & sing:
Till some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
And strength & breath:
And the want
Of thought is death;

Then am I
A happy fly,
If I live,
Or if I die”
― William Blake, Songs of Innocence and of Experience

“No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.”
― William Blake
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby MagsJ » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:18 am

fuse wrote:Ringworld (1970) by Larry Niven

It is part of the inspiration behind the Halo video game series. Dead in the middle of the book, right now. Pretty good if you enjoy sci-fi. Lots of cool concepts and ideas - that may be relevant to the future of mankind.
Y'all are all reading some cool reads.. especially this little number - love sci-fi, so might check out the intro on it and see :D

Well... whilst at the top of our mile-long high-street this afternoon I stopped by a new(ish) 'Book Warehouse' to see what they got, and they had a nice little section on The Classics (which covered fiction, psychology, spirituality, philosophy, etc.) so I bought a copy of 'The Art of War' and 'Machiavelli, The Prince' and a very very large pencil with a very very big pencil-sharpener attached... all for £7.48, the giant pencil only being 49p.

I haven't read a book in years, as hadn't found anything that caught my interest enough to read, so I look forward to reading these, and more...
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:00 pm

Magsj,

I haven't read a book in years, as hadn't found anything that caught my interest enough to read, so I look forward to reading these, and more...
CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES, C'MON!!!! :lol: :banana-dance:

Hi Magsjy :) How have you possibly survived without reading, Magsjy? :evilfun: I mean, ah, reading takes us to the heights and to the depths of ourselves.

:happy-jumpeveryone: :happy-jumpeveryone: :happy-jumpeveryone: :happy-jumpeveryone: :happy-jumpeveryone: :happy-jumpeveryone: :happy-jumpeveryone: :happy-jumpeveryone: :happy-jumpeveryone: :happy-jumpeveryone: :happy-jumpeveryone: :happy-jumpeveryone:

READ ON!!!!

"Reading makes immigrants of us all. It takes us away from home, but more important, it finds homes for us everywhere.”
Jean Rhys

"To read is to fly: it is to soar to a point of vantage which gives a view over wide terrains of history, human variety, ideas, shared experience and the fruits of many inquiries.”
A C Grayling, Financial Times (in a review of A History of Reading by Alberto Manguel)

"Every reader finds himself. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument that makes it possible for the reader to discern what, without this book, he would perhaps never have seen in himself.”
Marcel Proust

"To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark.”
Victor Hugo

Ah, I could go on and on...but that's enough. :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :lol:
Sit in a cage and sing?”
― William Blake

“Little Fly
Thy summers play,
My thoughtless hand
Has brush'd away.

Am not I
A fly like thee?
Or art not thou
A man like me?

For I dance
And drink & sing:
Till some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
And strength & breath:
And the want
Of thought is death;

Then am I
A happy fly,
If I live,
Or if I die”

― William Blake
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Gobbo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:35 am

This is an interesting book. Klein is a Rhodes Scholar. Cecil Rhodes as about as hardcore, and openly a globalist elite mason as it gets. If you read his stuff it's everywhere. He started the Rhodes Scholarship as, essentially, a way to hand-pick individuals primed to enact Rhodes' view of the future: cliche NWO stuff. The majority of the Rhodes Scholars have gone on to do just that.

Klein is a little different. At first glance she appears to be somewhat critical of the globalists. I am reading this book to get a better idea of what she is all about.
Gobbo
Choronzon

Postby Tab » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:10 am

Re-reading Last Exit to Brooklyn.

One of those books that's rivetting, but has absolutely no sympathetic characters. Argh. How do authors write this stuff without needing to bathe afterwards..?
Click Logo For Blog
Tab
Deeply Shallow

Postby MagsJ » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:33 am

arcturus rising wrote:
CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES, C'MON!!!! :lol: :banana-dance:

Hi Magsjy :) How have you possibly survived without reading, Magsjy? :evilfun: I mean, ah, reading takes us to the heights and to the depths of ourselves.

Well, I haven't gotten around to reading anything save for the drinks menu at the bars and clubs I've been frequenting lately :lol: but soon I will read...
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby rust » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:29 am

I start The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch on Tuesday.
rust

Postby Floyd » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:07 pm

I'm just about to order Jean-Luc Nancy's L'Expérience de la liberté. I'm still battling my way through Infinite Jest, though.
Floyd

Postby fuse » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:40 pm

Elvis wrote:I'm just about to order Jean-Luc Nancy's L'Expérience de la liberté. I'm still battling my way through Infinite Jest, though.

Wow, I didn't know anyone was reading that. I went through a whole course on The Experience of Freedom. I think it addled my brain. It's one of the most linguistically dynamic pieces I've ever tried to read. I was not prepared for it. It requires having Kant (third antimony), Heidegger (on Kant, ontology of Being), Nietzsche (Nietzsche), Sartre (existentialism, being-in-itself, being-for-itself, being-for-others) Derrida (deconstruction) and lots of other odds and ends under one's belt.

My professor had us do a lot of excellent secondary reading to make meaning of Nancy. If you want to know some specific background readings that make Nancy more understandable I'd be happy to give you a list.
fuse
Philosopher

Postby Floyd » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:53 pm

fuse wrote:
Elvis wrote:I'm just about to order Jean-Luc Nancy's L'Expérience de la liberté. I'm still battling my way through Infinite Jest, though.

Wow, I didn't know anyone was reading that. I went through a whole course on The Experience of Freedom. I think it addled my brain. It's one of the most linguistically dynamic pieces I've ever tried to read. I was not prepared for it. It requires having Kant (third antimony), Heidegger (on Kant, ontology of Being), Nietzsche (Nietzsche), Sartre (existentialism, being-in-itself, being-for-itself, being-for-others) Derrida (deconstruction) and lots of other odds and ends under one's belt.

My professor had us do a lot of excellent secondary reading to make meaning of Nancy. If you want to know some specific background readings that make Nancy more understandable I'd be happy to give you a list.

I'm quite familiar with Kant, Nietzsche, Heidegger and Sartre, but please do share.
Floyd

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:30 pm

The Phenomenon of Man.jpg
The Phenomenon of Man.jpg (29.89 KiB) Viewed 2233 times

"The time has come to realise that an interpretation of the universe—even a positivist one—remains unsatisfying unless it covers the interior as well as the exterior of things; mind as well as matter. The true physics is that which will, one day, achieve the inclusion of man in his wholeness in a coherent picture of the world."
— Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (The Phenomenon of Man)

You have told me, O God, to believe in hell. But you have forbidden me to think...of any man as damned"
— Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

He recognized with absolute certainty the empty fragility of even the noblest theorizings as compared with the definitive plenitude of the smallest fact grasped in its total, concrete reality."
— Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (Hymn of the Universe)

The whole life lies in the verb seeing."
— Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

"Blessed be you, mighty matter, irresistible march of evolution, reality ever newborn; you who, by constantly shattering our mental categories, force us to go ever further and further in our pursuit of the truth."
— Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (Hymn of the Universe)

Reading a work by a philosopher such as Chardin who was also a scientist, is like eating Reese's peanut butter cups - the perfect marriage of philosophy and science as to the perfect marriage of chocolate and peanut butter. Both yummy :lol:
Sit in a cage and sing?”
― William Blake

“Little Fly
Thy summers play,
My thoughtless hand
Has brush'd away.

Am not I
A fly like thee?
Or art not thou
A man like me?

For I dance
And drink & sing:
Till some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
And strength & breath:
And the want
Of thought is death;

Then am I
A happy fly,
If I live,
Or if I die”

― William Blake
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby rakra » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:39 am

Currently Reading....

"A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking.

"Exile and the Kingdom" by Albert Camus.

Camus is one of my favorite writers. but this one isn't so good.
rakra

Postby Trevor » Wed May 04, 2011 10:04 pm

Battle Royale - Koushun Takami

"All right, all right, please be quiet." Sakamochi clapped his hands together several times to get their attention. The clamour suddenly subsided. "Let me explain the situation. The reason why you're all here today then..."
Then he said: "...is to kill each other."
Now no one responded. Everyone remained frozen, like figures in a still photograph.

"Your class has been selected for this year's 'Program.'"
Someone shrieked.

42 students remaining

:violence-pistoldouble:
Trevor

Postby Blurry » Wed May 04, 2011 10:52 pm

I'm thinking about diving back into my Unadbridged Poe. Yeah...I'll do that tonight.
"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don't bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: 'It's not where you take things from - it's where you take them to.'" - Jim Jarmusch
Blurry
fuck

Postby Xunzian » Fri May 06, 2011 10:08 pm

Inside the 3rd Reich -- Memoirs of Albrecht Speer. A fascinating read offering a lot of insight into authoritarian states and the people they appeal to.
Xunzian
Drunken Master

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue May 17, 2011 7:06 pm

The Alienist by Caleb Carr

http://www.pajiba.com/book_reviews/the- ... b-carr.php

The Alienist.jpg
The Alienist.jpg (20.76 KiB) Viewed 2194 times
Sit in a cage and sing?”
― William Blake

“Little Fly
Thy summers play,
My thoughtless hand
Has brush'd away.

Am not I
A fly like thee?
Or art not thou
A man like me?

For I dance
And drink & sing:
Till some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
And strength & breath:
And the want
Of thought is death;

Then am I
A happy fly,
If I live,
Or if I die”

― William Blake
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:42 pm

Carl_Sagan-Billions_&_Billions.jpg
Carl_Sagan-Billions_&_Billions.jpg (29.44 KiB) Viewed 2179 times

star stuff contemplating star stuff ...
Carl Sagan, on humankind

Yep, that's us.

The surface of the Earth is the shore of the cosmic ocean. From it we have learned most of what we know. Recently, we have waded a little out to sea, enough to dampen our toes or, at most, wet our ankles. The water seems inviting. The ocean calls. So”
:greetings-clappingorange: :greetings-clappingorange: :greetings-clappingorange: :greetings-clappingorange:

SEE - WE WALK IN THE DEEP SPACE.jpg
SEE - WE WALK IN THE DEEP SPACE.jpg (55.33 KiB) Viewed 2179 times

Just imagine it!!!!
Sit in a cage and sing?”
― William Blake

“Little Fly
Thy summers play,
My thoughtless hand
Has brush'd away.

Am not I
A fly like thee?
Or art not thou
A man like me?

For I dance
And drink & sing:
Till some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
And strength & breath:
And the want
Of thought is death;

Then am I
A happy fly,
If I live,
Or if I die”

― William Blake
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:48 pm

SNAFU.
Sit in a cage and sing?”
― William Blake

“Little Fly
Thy summers play,
My thoughtless hand
Has brush'd away.

Am not I
A fly like thee?
Or art not thou
A man like me?

For I dance
And drink & sing:
Till some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
And strength & breath:
And the want
Of thought is death;

Then am I
A happy fly,
If I live,
Or if I die”

― William Blake
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Frankenstein » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:22 am

arcturus rising wrote:
MatyldaH wrote:I am reading "The Picture Of Dorian Gray", by Oscar Wilde.

And i am quite fascinated by it. In love with it, too.
I read the book a little while ago. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It makes one really stop to think when it comes to how we are capable of influencing people and the effect that that can have on another's life. Sometimes it's best to allow others to make their own decisions even when we are really capable of pointing out to them as many outcomes as possible. Also the negative and painful impact that vanity at its very worse can have on a person's life and those surrounding them - how it can impact their life. To put it mildly. I just watched the up-to-date movie video this weekend which was okay but it barely began to portray Dorian's narcissism and vanity. The book is like a really indepth study of pathologicall narcissism, vanity and arrogant. What disburbs us can also teach us. I loved it.

Enjoy it.

Hello friend,
Speaking of narcissism, one mine want to read Ovid's poem on just that. The story of Echo and Narcissus. I always found it extremely symbolic how he turns into a beautiful flower-- all the beauty, but none of the vanity.
Frankenstein

Postby Frankenstein » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:27 am

Hello friends,
I am currently on Book 22 of 24 of Homer's Iliad, the Fagles translation. It's beautiful. I read the Lattimore trans. a few years back, that is more scholarly. Fagle's goes smoother for me though.

Major themes: honor and glory; mortalitly vs immortality; fate; the most despicable condtion, the lawless, stateless, hearthless man; true love. I could do on forever, any great work is going to have many major themes.
Frankenstein

Postby Frankenstein » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:31 am

Hello Good People,

I Finished The Iliad. Now I'm reading Plato's Republic. Translated by Allan Bloom. What did everyone think about it? I've read it once before so you wont spoil it for me.
Frankenstein

Postby maryshelley » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:45 pm

'Frankenstein' again. I'm sure I missed a typographical error in there somewhere. :-k
maryshelley

Postby Frankenstein » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:45 am

maryshelley wrote:'Frankenstein' again. I'm sure I missed a typographical error in there somewhere. :-k

Hello Maryshelley,

What is your favorite theme or quote from the book Frankenstein?
-Dr. F.
Frankenstein

PreviousNext

Return to Art, Music, and Entertainment