So, what books are you reading right now?

Share and discuss.

Re: So, what books are you reading right now?

Postby MagsJ » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:24 pm

Finally getting round to reading the Wordsworth Classics Of World Literature's version of 'Machiavelli: The Prince' after having bought it a few years ago, and finding that the 30 minute tube journey into work is a good excuse to finally read it, oh.. and the clarity I now have after finding out my exact allergy and therefore being able to address it :D
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:22 pm

The Last Man
by P.T. Deuterman

Deutermann's latest (Nightwalkers, 2009, etc.) is a strong thriller that mixes archaeology, history and geopolitics. In A.D. 73, a few desperate Jews in a mountaintop holdout are about to be overrun by the Roman army that has laid siege. They prefer suicide to surrender. The last man, Judah Sicarius, is selected to make sure all his compatriots are dead, down to the last woman and child, and then he is to kill himself. Two millennia later, the American David Hall receives reluctant permission from authorities to explore parts of Masada, the mountain that in real life has become a revered historical site in Israel. But they don't fully trust him to leave the place undisturbed, so they assign archaeologist Dr. Judith Ressner to chaperone him. (Will the reader be surprised to learn that she's beautiful?) Hall masquerades as an enthusiastic amateur, but he has a secret agenda that leads him to break rules and violate people's trust. Even so, he acts without malice and is a likable character. Key to the story are natural cisterns inside the mountain that hold the accumulated rainwater of thousands of years. What is Hall's true interest? And why do authorities even care what he finds as long as he doesn't ruin any artifacts? Meanwhile, the widow Ressner provides an enjoyable subplot that threatens to turn romantic as she grapples with problems of her own. The perils in this novel come from an unexpected direction, and even once they are revealed there is one big secret left. Deutermann's descriptions of Masada, its cisterns and the Dead Sea are well-done indeed. In particular, Deutermann skillfully maintains tension right to the end. Unlike some thrillers that keep the reader's adrenaline going with increasing body counts and steamy sexual encounters, this one just tells a terrific story with a satisfying payoff. Damn good.

David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants
by Malcolm Gladwell

In David and Goliath, Malcolm Gladwell challenges how we think about obstacles and disadvantages, offering a new interpretation of what it means to be discriminated against, or cope with a disability, or lose a parent, or attend a mediocre school, or suffer from any number of other apparent setbacks.

Gladwell begins with the real story of what happened between the giant and the shepherd boy those many years ago. From there, David and Goliath examines Northern Ireland's Troubles, the minds of cancer researchers and civil rights leaders, murder and the high costs of revenge, and the dynamics of successful and unsuccessful classrooms---all to demonstrate how much of what is beautiful and important in the world arises from what looks like suffering and adversity.

In the tradition of Gladwell's previous bestsellers---The Tipping Point, Blink, Outliers and What the Dog Saw---David and Goliath draws upon history, psychology, and powerful storytelling to reshape the way we think of the world around us.

The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives
by Leonard Mlodinow

With the born storyteller's command of narrative and imaginative approach, Leonard Mlodinow vividly demonstrates how our lives are profoundly informed by chance and randomness and how everything from wine ratings and corporate success to school grades and political polls are less reliable than we believe.

By showing us the true nature of chance and revealing the psychological illusions that cause us to misjudge the world around us, Mlodinow gives us the tools we need to make more informed decisions. From the classroom to the courtroom and from financial markets to supermarkets, Mlodinow's intriguing and illuminating look at how randomness, chance, and probability affect our daily lives will intrigue, awe, and inspire.
SAPERE AUDE!

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Bianca » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:04 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants
by Malcolm Gladwell

In David and Goliath, Malcolm Gladwell challenges how we think about obstacles and disadvantages, offering a new interpretation of what it means to be discriminated against, or cope with a disability, or lose a parent, or attend a mediocre school, or suffer from any number of other apparent setbacks.

Gladwell begins with the real story of what happened between the giant and the shepherd boy those many years ago. From there, David and Goliath examines Northern Ireland's Troubles, the minds of cancer researchers and civil rights leaders, murder and the high costs of revenge, and the dynamics of successful and unsuccessful classrooms---all to demonstrate how much of what is beautiful and important in the world arises from what looks like suffering and adversity.

In the tradition of Gladwell's previous bestsellers---The Tipping Point, Blink, Outliers and What the Dog Saw---David and Goliath draws upon history, psychology, and powerful storytelling to reshape the way we think of the world around us.

The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives
by Leonard Mlodinow

With the born storyteller's command of narrative and imaginative approach, Leonard Mlodinow vividly demonstrates how our lives are profoundly informed by chance and randomness and how everything from wine ratings and corporate success to school grades and political polls are less reliable than we believe.

By showing us the true nature of chance and revealing the psychological illusions that cause us to misjudge the world around us, Mlodinow gives us the tools we need to make more informed decisions. From the classroom to the courtroom and from financial markets to supermarkets, Mlodinow's intriguing and illuminating look at how randomness, chance, and probability affect our daily lives will intrigue, awe, and inspire.

Sounds like a nice topic. The staff of oedipus had a lot of insights taking examples from mythology. Now though, I'm reading one called the Aesthetics of Wine.
Bianca

Postby xzc » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:16 pm

Some Harold Bloom.
King Lear
The Odyssey - I make it a point to reread this every year.
If some Nietzscheans are interested, let me know.
http://www.jstor.org/stable/20717869
Carcasse, tu trembles?
Tu tremblerais bien davantage, si
tu savais, ou je te mene.
xzc
Philosopher

Postby Arminius » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:36 am

Right now I am not reading a book, but a text of a web forum called "I LOVE PHILOSOPHY". if I will again have time to read , I will go on with the reading of a book with the title "Zeit und Tage" ("Time and Days") by Peter Sloterdijk.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Orbie » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:41 am

The diary of Samuel Pepys
[size=50][/size]Allone's Obe issance

In answer to your prayer
sincere, the centre of
your circle here,
i stand ; and , without
taking thought,-
i know nothing. But i can

Full well your need-as
you be men
This: Re-Creation. With a
bow,
Then, your obedient

servant now.
One gift is all i find in me,
And that is faithful
memory
Orbie
partly cloudy, with a few showers

Postby Xyus » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:20 am

Nature and Madness, and Thinking Animals by Paul Shepard
Xyus

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:07 pm

I Am a Strange Loop
by Douglas Hofstadter

11/22/63
by Stephen King
SAPERE AUDE!

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Orbie » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:28 pm

Writing History in the Global Era, by Lynn Hunt, Norton

In answer to your prayer
sincere, the centre of
your circle here,
i stand ; and , without
taking thought,-

Full well your need-as
you be men
bow,
Then, your obedient

servant now.
And that is faithful
memory
Orbie

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:41 pm

LABYRINTHS OF REASON
By: William Poundstone

Yummy!

Also, THE LAST THEORUM
By: Arthur C. Clarke and Frederik Pohl.
SAPERE AUDE!

Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Pandora » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:13 pm

Life Ascending: The Ten Greatest Inventions of Evolution, by Nick Lane
Pandora
Philosopher

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:26 pm

"The genesis of twentieth century philosophy" by Harry Prosch.

Waiting for my new glasses so I can finish the dam thing and get on with my list
of 200 other books I want to get through.

Kropotkin
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security
wind up with neither."
"Ben Franklin"

The RNC has announced that's its changing the Republican emblem from
an elephant to an condom because it more clearly reflects the party's political
stance: a condom stands for inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation,
protects a bunch of pricks, and gives one a sense of security while screwing others.

Kropotkin
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:08 pm

POWER AND INNOCENCE ~ A Search for the Sources of Violence
Rollo May
SAPERE AUDE!

Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Orbie » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:28 pm

Robert Anton Wilson, The Cosmic Trigger

In answer to your prayer
sincere, the centre of
your circle here,
i stand ; and , without
taking thought,-

Full well your need-as
you be men
bow,
Then, your obedient

servant now.
And that is faithful
memory
Orbie

Postby Eric_The_Pipe » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:44 pm

I just finished Laughter is Better Than Communism by Andrew Heaton. A very funny book, including great commentary on multiple political thingys. Only $4 ! (I love the comedian that wrote it and wish to promote him as far and wide as possible, so I can see him in more places and things.)

I am now getting back to Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastards, Book 2) by Scott Lynch which is also a great book all about Con men in a fantasy setting.

I'm about to pick up Basic Economics, 5th edition by Thomas-Sowell Probably the closest thing I have to a bible... (I've read the 4th ed a couple of times.) I've got the link to an interview for the book in my sig.
“Give a man a fish and he will ask for tartar sauce and French fries! Moreover, some politician who wants his vote will declare all these things to be among his ‘basic rights’” – An old saying rewritten by a follower of Thomas Sowell

"It's true that the bastards would win. But we shouldn't shut down a system just because the bastards win. A good system should be like a hamster wheel for bastards hooked up an electric generator. A well designed system is not one that prevents bastards from winning, but one that generates a lot of positive externalities from bastards trying to beat each other. And that's exactly what markets do. Markets entice bastards, they reward bastards, and the bastards love them, but as they operate they generate a lot of good that inadvertently benefits everyone else." - Carleas

The Newest EconPop: Economics of Demolition Man

The man, Thomas Sowell: Wealth, Poverty and Politics

Sowell's Writing
Eric_The_Pipe
Thinker

Postby Orbie » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:22 pm

Joseph heller, 'Catch 22'

In answer to your prayer
sincere, the centre of
your circle here,
i stand ; and , without
taking thought,-

Full well your need-as
you be men
bow,
Then, your obedient

servant now.
And that is faithful
memory
Orbie

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:08 pm

Carlos Castaneda

The Power of Silence

&&&&&

The Eagle's Gift ~ Further Lessons of don Juan
SAPERE AUDE!

Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Erikos » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:42 am

Egyptian Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Goddesses and Traditions of Ancient Egypt

http://www.amazon.com/Egyptian-Mytholog ... 0195170245
Erikos
Philosopher

Postby Orbie » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:46 pm

'I surf, therefore I am a philosophy of surfing' Peter Kreeft

In answer to your prayer
sincere, the centre of
your circle here,
i stand ; and , without
taking thought,-

Full well your need-as
you be men
bow,
Then, your obedient

servant now.
And that is faithful
memory
Orbie

Postby derleydoo » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:34 pm

Just finished The Double - Dostoevsky.

Anyone care to tell me what it was about?!! :-?
derleydoo

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:11 pm

The Great Courses

Argumentation: The Study of Effective Reasoning, 2nd Ed.

Parts 1 and 2
Philosophy & Intellectual History
Audiobooks
SAPERE AUDE!

Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Erikos » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:25 am

Arcturus Descending wrote:The Great Courses

Parts 1 and 2
Audiobooks

That's what I'm talking about right there! Hell yeah!

I'm reading Beowulf, the Seamus Heaney translation; the one in archaic English is barely intelligible to me.
Erikos
Philosopher

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:52 pm

Erik_"

The Great Courses

Parts 1 and 2
Audiobooks[/b]

That's what I'm talking about right there! Hell yeah!

:lol: But Erik, you failed to say what exactly you're talking about.
By the way, I'm enjoying the audiobooks. I'm pretty good at [arguing] :lol: but not disciplined nor have the knowledge to present a good argument et cetera and being that I am not that knowledgeable in the first place as most here are, I need all the help which I can muster. I would call myself more the "dabbler".
I'm so looking forward to continuing with it.

I'm reading Beowulf, the Seamus Heaney translation; the one in archaic English is barely intelligible to me
Never read that.
SAPERE AUDE!

Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Erikos » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:31 pm

:lol: But Erik, you failed to say what exactly you're talking about.
By the way, I'm enjoying the audiobooks. I'm pretty good at [arguing] :lol: but not disciplined nor have the knowledge to present a good argument et cetera and being that I am not that knowledgeable in the first place as most here are, I need all the help which I can muster. I would call myself more the "dabbler".
I'm so looking forward to continuing with it.

Good, very good, Arc. I might check out those audiobooks too.

Never read that.

Never read Beowulf ? It's a classic! What about The Odyssey or Iliad?
Erikos
Philosopher

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:17 pm

THINKING, FAST and SLOW
Daniel Kahneman

It promises to be quite interesting- to me.

In the international bestseller, Thinking, Fast and Slow, Daniel Kahneman, the renowned psychologist and winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics, takes us on a groundbreaking tour of the mind and explains the two systems that drive the way we think. System 1 is fast, intuitive, and emotional; System 2 is slower, more deliberative, and more logical. The impact of overconfidence on corporate strategies, the difficulties of predicting what will make us happy in the future, the profound effect of cognitive biases on everything from playing the stock market to planning our next vacation—each of these can be understood only by knowing how the two systems shape our judgments and decisions.

Engaging the reader in a lively conversation about how we think, Kahneman reveals where we can and cannot trust our intuitions and how we can tap into the benefits of slow thinking. He offers practical and enlightening insights into how choices are made in both our business and our personal lives—and how we can use different techniques to guard against the mental glitches that often get us into trouble. Winner of the National Academy of Sciences Best Book Award and the Los Angeles Times Book Prize and selected by The New York Times Book Review as one of the ten best books of 2011, Thinking, Fast and Slow is destined to be a classic.
SAPERE AUDE!

Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

PreviousNext

Return to Art, Music, and Entertainment