[DVD] - A History of Violence

Movie: A History of Violence
Starring: Viggo Mortensen, Maria Bello, and William Hurt
Director: David Cronenberg
Writers: John Wagner, Vince Lock (Graphic novel)
Josh Olsen (screenplay)

Based on the graphic novel, History of Violence is about and average Joe, family man named Tom Stall (Viggo Morgensen) who may not be so average after all. The small town diner owner becomes and overnight hero after taking out two armed thugs who try to hold up his shop. After that a few mobsters show up in the sleepy little town and start insisting that Tom is actually named Joey Cusack and try to convince Tom that he’s a particularly nasty, and brutal wiseguy. The story spirals from there into a path of events that will irrevocably change the lives of Tom and his family.

There are many things about this movie that worked. It had a solid script to stand on and all of the acting is top notch, Viggo had some great moments switching from an “aw-shucks character” to mobster and Maria Bello was equally impressive as Edie Stall. The action scenes are beautifully shot and choreographed and this movie does not pull its punches, the scenes of violence are quite graphic, which I like. While this was strength of the film it does make some parts hard to watch for those with weak stomachs. A particular scene on the Stall family staircase is still etched into my fragile little mind.

Ed Harris and William Hurt play the baddies, being Carl Fogarty, and Richie Cusack, respectively. Ed Harris is wonderfully wicked and has that subtle threat thing down pat. William Hurt was great to see as a Mafia and not as a father figure role. The problem I had with the Mafia scenes was that after seeing The Sopranos it seemed that the personality of the Mafia was a little flat. William Hurt was the obvious baddie Don and all of his henchmen were the basic “muscle” stereotypes.

There’s a good selection of extras here. It covers all of the basics including an informative commentary, behind-the-scenes featurettes, and deleted scenes. All of the basics were there what’s there is quality. Its not enough to write home about, but it’s a solid DVD package.

Overall rating: B+

I really want to see this movie, I hope to watch it eventually.

All you must do is claim it! It is yours for the taking, or borrowing to be more specific.

Oh I will, I will.

So much blood from one man,This movie had bucket’s full of blood.

–and I enjoyed every drop.
I think that if you have the guts to put “violence” right in the title of the movie it would really be dissapointing if they held back.