[Movie] - Ultraviolet

Ughh… I really wanted this to be an excellent movie. Because it was written and directed by “Equilibrium” mastermind Kurt Wimmer and starred Milla Jovovich who I consider to be one of the coolest humans on the planet. The sad truth of the matter is that it isn’t nearly as good as Equlibrium. In fact, the movie isn’t all that good.

Not that the movie was all bad. The show did have some promise. The basic premise of the movie is that there’s two types of people in this world, your garden variety human and hemophages, who are vampires created by a super-disease but none of them are seen drinking blood. Basically our heroine, Violet is on a mission to bring a case to her vampire leaders. She is instructed not to look in her case, but she does anyway. In the case is a boy who may hold the key to the cure for the vampire disease or the destruction of all the vampires. So Violet, a cunning, ruthless assassin with a heart of gold decides she’s going to save the kid. Okay, we either need to see her as a hard-ass killer with no remorse or a sympathetic person who kills because she has to she can’t flip-flop when its convinient. Anyway. I thought the premise was excellent and the action scenes were beautifully executed.

On the other hand there are many, many things about the movie that could have been done better. The writing is sloppy in places and much of the dialog feels stilted and the acting wooden. The movie tried to do way too many things and alot of great ideas get touched upon and never returned to. The focus of the movie should have been way more focused if Wimmer wanted to tell the story that he wanted to tell.

In the end I didn’t feel it was a total waste of my time and money. Because on the level of asthetics Utlraviolet is a total winner of a movie. Great fights, cool sci-fi tech that’s used creatively, and bare mid-driff Milla. Everything else in the movie was sorely lacking, but I find it hard for me to hate a movie with Milla in it.

Rating: C

I saw it and enjoyed the movie for what it was. I was in fact a direct copy of Aeon Flux the cartoon in many ways and was way better than that film.

I must ask though, why everyone has to be a vampire in every film. Why can’t they just be mutants?

That was my main complaint.

Meanwhile, I was happy not to see any major biblical themes in a sci-fi movie for once.

I understand. I thought the movie was decent, despite the flaws. But I dont’ like the fact that an action movie can be excused for not having a great plot or characters because its an action movie. Maybe if they were held to the standards of other genres there wouldn’t be so many crappy action movies coming out.

I love old movies and there’s a lot of say Bogart films that had action, complex characters, a good plot, and were exciting. However, I think that they were created by real writers.

Hollywood is dominated by Morty Weinstein’s second cousin’s nephew with the bad foot who just bought a house and needs a picture deal. He likes white chicks, pistols, sushi, and heard some shit about vampires once. We gotta deal or what?

Yeah. The movie was decent. But I just get mad at movies that could have been so much better if they’d have just tightened things here and there.

I’m just a little annoyed at the idea that action movies have liscence to be stupider than other movies nowadays.

I love Bogart films too. I should really watch more of them. The whole noir style is fascinating to me.

I’ve been watching Battlestar Galactica on TV and see a character that I have high hopes for. If he follows the direction that I’m thinking of, then he will be one of the most original characters ever.

The show is generally filled with standard types of characters and I find that boring. The old movies that we discussed frequently feature “bad” characters that have good in them or are likable, but still bad. I love that.

Anyway Baltar on Galactica at first was the typical nervous coward/traitor that by the time you’re my age you’ve seen a million times. However, as the show moved on he seems like appears standing to being doing two unique things. One is that he loves the “people” that he betrayed humanity for, while also liking humans and wanting to help them as well.

Even if you don’t know about the show it’s the potential complexity of the character that I like. A coward that is also a traitor, but had to be that in order to embrace the fact that he really loves both sides. I love the idea of betrayal as a heroic quality.

If the creators of the show go that direstion, then I will salute them.

I wasn’t that interested in Battlestar Galactica, but as I’ve been watching the previews for the episodes I’ve been becoming more interested in the show. I’ll watch it from the begining, maybe I didn’t give it enough of chance the first time around.

Well, I’m only really into that one character and would like to see the type that I image in anything. Generally, the show does have some twists and that’s refreshing.

Meeanwhile, Dr. Who comes on this Friday, and I’m all excited.

I see, so my originally assesment of the show might not be far off, but the character you described seemed like the most interesting character. One of the few episodes I saw, was the one where he was elected vice president, and that was actually pretty good.

I totally stocked about Dr. Who as well, it’s going to be awesome.