[movie] Troy

I HATE THIS MOVIE SO MUCH :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

It had some good actors and good speacial effects but it still sucks. First, it long and boring. I think it close to 3 hours long but to it was eternity. There’s also a lot of repatition about every 5 or 10 minutes I was reminded that Achilles was fight for eternial glory and so his name will be remembered forever. Next, the dialouge is completely uninteresting and the character interaction was lame. Also, Orlando Bloom pissed me off some much not even he great sexyness didn’t cover up his crappy acting. His character, Paris, was such winny bitch. It got so bad that everytime I saw his face I fastforwarded. Now you might think it just a good action movie but it’s not because of the slow and boringness of the rest of the movie the fight scenes were completely unfulfilling and felt extremely dull. I watched this movie on DVD so it might have that good in the theatres thing going for it. Basically, at the end of the movie I felt like it took less time to actually read the Iliad than sit and watch a 3 hour movie.

paris the “winny bitch”…

homer is smiling…

it never said it was an accurate historical representation (no, it wasn’t even close)

-Imp

All the action without much substance…

It’s amazing how people watch these ‘grand historical films’ that fail to actually really get into the ‘heart of the narrative’.

That was a dumb review.

Did you go to high school?

I viewed the movie as an attempt to tell the story sans mythological content.

I had to laugh because during the film Achilles sent chills of fear through me. The man was a simplistic killing machine.

In total the story was about different types of people and different types of honor.

The Adlerian: I viewed the movie as an attempt to tell the story sans mythological content.

Colin: Spot on. which makes it pretty redundant. what is todays world obsession with ‘lack of content’…or ‘flimsy content’…content is semmingly secondary in a lot of films, might be one of the hazards of the film genre, time scales, big bucks over substance.

‘If you want the detials read a fucking book’ - some hollywood ego

I thought it was at least better than just saying this movie sucks. Yeah I know what they were trying to do with it but it was still a lame movie. Now I wasn’t arguing about what the movie was about all I meant was it had a good premese and the idea behind the movie was interesting but I felt it wasn’t what it could be.

What did you think was bad about my review?

So, are you standing up for a mythological movie without mythological content? The story is mythology, whether it happened or not, I doubt the story matches the actual occurrances.

A simplistic killing machine is not an excuse for poor dialogue. There is a lot of character and interaction and emotion to Greek stories. To have a movie remove that is to neuter the story. Action movies are fun, but a pure good action movie need not be 3 hours long.

Gladiator was far from historical accuracy, but it at least could bind your attention. The dialogue was plenty good enough for an action movie. The scenes were compelling and you wanted to watch.

You want stories about people and honor, watch a Japanese movie! You have plenty of good ones to choose from.

And what’s with the comment about going to high school? Not the best english in the original post, but we all don’t have the hours of free time that you seem to. Lowering yourself to constantly attempting to insult other people’s intelligence to make arguments? Have fun with that.

Go inflate your post count some more where people might actually care how many times you can change your avatar a month.

“So, are you standing up for a mythological movie without mythological content? The story is mythology, whether it happened or not, I doubt the story matches the actual occurrances.”

It’s an imagining of the events.

“A simplistic killing machine is not an excuse for poor dialogue.”

Several scenes where taken right out of the Iliad.

“And what’s with the comment about going to high school?”

Usually one reads the Iliad and the Odyssey in high school. The OP (your girlfriend?) sounded like they never even heard of the story.

“ Go inflate your post count some more where people might actually care how many times you can change your avatar a month.”

Don’t be jealous.

This is not in dispute it just could have been done better

That doesn’t mean that it’s going to transfer well to a diferent media.

I’m a sophomore in high school and I have heard of the story before but I have not read the book. All I was doing with the comparison between the lengths of the movie and the book was to exaggerate the length of the movie.

How cruel

True. But it is still a mythological movie lacking mythological material. Isn’t there something wrong with that?

Also true. It’s a movie and shouldn’t be 100% accurate, but the main contention is that what they put together was a somewhat interesting action movie with horrible dialogue and for the most part poor acting considering the cast. I can’t remember the actor’s name right now, but he played Agamemnon, was good. But overall, it lacked in the non-battle scenes too much to make it’s length bearable.

Hahaha. No, certainly not my girlfriend. And the OP did in fact say this,

Which is at least a good clue that they had in fact read the Iliad. Maybe not, but at least a decent implication of such.

Again, hahaha. I will fully admit to being jealous of a good number of people. Envious of others. You are not on that list. And envy and jealousy if well placed, can be good motivational factors.

“True. But it is still a mythological movie lacking mythological material. Isn’t there something wrong with that?”

No, not really.

Perhaps the producers thought that the movie would play better without the deus ex happening all of the time.

I didn’t love the movie and especially hated the happy ending. I hated it beyond belief.

The thing that I disliked about your girlfriend’s review was that it was based on total ignorance and a complete lack of insight about the themes. Troy falls because of Hector’s indulgence of Paris and his lack of honor. So, Paris’ behavior was very important. The whole story was about different levels of honor, ethics, and courage.

Gecota, although you’re young and can’t be expected to know everything you might want to consider asking what a story is about before you trash it.

“Again, hahaha. I will fully admit to being jealous of a good number of people. Envious of others. You are not on that list. And envy and jealousy if well placed, can be good motivational factors.”

Hmm…you’re spending a lot of time on me.

I understood the theme and the story, how Paris’s behavior is important, and all that. I was fine with the story but, what I hated was how the movie was done. The problem I had with Paris was totally Orlando Bloom. He played the character the same way he played all his roles. I did ask my brother about the story but what my review was about how the movie was it should have been a good movie with the story and everything but lost something during the making of the movie.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Why a war regarding a silly movie??? I mean, are there not more important issues.

Hum, it sounds as if Sky is on a vendetta. What a waste of time. Let the mods handle it.

=D> sarcasm intended.

I thought the film was mediocre. Not the kind of horrible where I shake my fist at the Gods, cursing, demanding my three hours back- just not terrific. Brad Pitt was surprising in the film, at least to me; I was surprised by how he bulked up for the role, and how well he played the badass. But at the same time, I don’t think the Achilles he/the director presented was really convincing. For example, in the original Homer when Achilles wept with Hector’s father, you believed it. But when Pitt’s Achilles did so, I just didn’t buy it.

The movie was overly long. I’ve got no problem with a long movie that’s long for a reason; the extended LotR films were superb. No, Troy seemed long simply due to lack of good editing skill. Pacing is sometimes improved by what you add, but more often it’s aided by what you omit.

To me the dialog was anachronistic and not really appropriate- they didn’t go for a period feel, and it seems to me that in ten years people will see Troy and view it as a product of the early 2000s. That’s to say, dated. The acting was adequate, given the weakness of the script, but not the best effort by any given actor.

Lastly, I didn’t think the F/X were particularly compelling, either. Yes, I realize the days of getting a thousand extras together for a battle are long gone, replaced by a few mouse clicks (albeit at thousands of dollars per second). But most disconcerting is the prevailing opinion that it doesn’t have to look real, just good enough to give the suggestion of reality. As if they mean to imply something and have us fill in the blanks. That’s great in a book, but falls a bit short in a film. Part of the failure is the perceived need to top each shot with ever more ludicrous spectacles. The CGI of today does some things well, but it has to be used judiciously, in moderation. Like salt in your broth, a little seasons but a lot overwhelms. Perhaps someday CGI will be good enough to replace actors, but until then producers and directors will have to learn to go back to basics and do some things the old fashioned way.

Please remember that I thought that the review was stupid, but not that the movie was great.

Not everything is about you. Fucker.

:stuck_out_tongue: ( I know you love those emoticons! [-X =D> =P~ #-o :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: )

“Not everything is about you. Fucker.”

Shouldn’t the sentence be, " Not everything is about you, fucker," or am I wrong there?

I can see why you say that. But what I meant is, “Not everything is about you.” Additionally, I then called you a fucker. Two separate statements, hence two sentences.

Of course, one word probably does not a sentence make. One person has already PM’ed to correct my grammar.

The fucker. :wink:

That was my review of your comment about my comment. I suggest that you get a better script writer and a good editor.

Naw, I’ll just smooth it out with some CGI and throw in some naked chicks.