John Lennon - All you need is %$%#@#$!

Some John Lennon quotes to mark the 25th anniversary of his death - from mirror.co.uk:

ON PAUL McCARTNEY
WE got fed up of being sidemen for Paul. Paul took over and supposedly led us. What’s leading us when you wander around in circles?

IN the studio, every time he sang the line ‘Get back to where you once belonged’ he’d look at Yoko.

HE is an egomaniac.

ON ELVIS PRESLEY
“ELVIS really died the day he joined the army. That’s when they killed him and the rest was a living death.”

ON THE SIXTIES
“IF someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the 60s, that’s his problem. Love and peace are eternal.”

ON RELIGION
“CHRISTIANITY will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn’t argue about that, I’m right and I will be proved right. We’re more popular than Jesus now; I don’t know which will go first - rock ‘n’ roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right, but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It’s them twisting it that ruins it for me.”

ON YOKO ONO
I’D never met a woman I considered as intelligent as me. That sounds big-headed, but every woman Imet was either a dolly-chick, or a sort of screwed-up intellectual chick. I always had this dream of meeting an artist girl who would be like me. And I thought it was a myth, but then I met Yoko and that was it.

I HOPE we’re a nice old couple living off the coast of Ireland or something like that - looking at our scrapbook of madness.

ON HIS LOST WEEKEND
“WHEN you’re 35, you can’t take as much booze… and I always got a little violent on drink.”

ON DEATH
“I’M not afraid of dying. I’m prepared for death because I don’t believe in it. I think it’s just getting out of one car and getting into another.”

ON AWARD OF AN MBE
“LOTS of people who complained about us getting the MBE received theirs for heroism in the war. They got them for killing people. We deserved ours for not killing people.”

ON THE BEATLES’ DECISION TO QUIT TOURING
“THE music wasn’t being heard. It was just a sort of freak show. The Beatles were the show and the music had nothing to do with it. It was like being in the eye of a hurricane. You’d wake up in a concert and think, ‘Wow, how did I get here?’”

ON ROLLING STONES
“EVERY f****** thing we did, Mick does exactly the same. I think it’s a joke.”

“In the 80s, they’ll be asking, ‘Why are those guys still together?’ They will be showing pictures of the guy with lip-stick wriggling his ass and the four guys with the evil black make-up on their eyes trying to look raunchy. That’s gonna be the joke.”

ON THE BEATLES SPLIT
“I’D come to a point where it was no longer creating magic.”

ON THE LEGACY
“WHEN I was a Beatle, I thought we were the best f****** group in the goddamned world. But you play me those tracks today and I want to remake every damn one of them. There’s not a single one. I heard Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds on the radio last night. It’s abysmal, you know. The track is just terrible. But that’s the artistic trip, isn’t it? That’s why you keep going.”

ON HARRISON
“HE was working with two brilliant songwriters and he learnt a lot from us. I wouldn’t have minded being George, the invisible man, and learning what he learned.”

ON RINGO
“BEST drummer in the world? He’s not even the best drummer in The Beatles.”

ON SGT PEPPER
“I SUPPOSE we could have worked harder on it, but I couldn’t be arsed doing any more.”

ONE-LINERS
“AS usual, there’s a great woman behind every idiot.”

“EVERYTHING is clearer when you’re in love.”

“IF everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there’d be peace.”

“REALITY leaves a lot to the imagination.”

“POSSESSION isn’t nine-tenths of the law. It’s nine-tenths of the problem.”

“TIME you enjoy wasting was not wasted.”

That was great km2_33. Thanks for posting it. My personal favourite John Lennon bitch was the song he wrote about McCartney (the most overrated pop artist in the history of the world). Just listen to those lyrics sizzle!!! Yow!!

So sgt. pepper took you by surprise
You better see right through that mother’s eyes
Those freaks was right when they said you was dead
The one mistake you made was in your head
Ah, how do you sleep?
Ah, how do you sleep at night?

You live with straights who tell you you was king
Jump when your momma tell you anything
The only thing you done was yesterday
And since you’re gone you’re just another day
Ah, how do you sleep?

Ah, how do you sleep?

A pretty face may last a year or two
But pretty soon they’ll see what you can do
The sound you make is muzak to my ears
You must have learned something in all those years
Ah, how do you sleep?

My favorite Lennon quote: “ARGGHHH! I’ve been shot!” :astonished: (Fading out in a gurgling of blood).

I didn’t like this. Some things are better left unsaid, my dear. Between comments like that and your avatar I think you may just need a little more attention. Do you want to sit on Yomama’s lap and talk about it? It might make you feel better.

km,

Thanks for that.

“Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. I hope someday you’ll join us, and the world will be as one.”

group hug

Phaedrus - no hard feelings. I am sure you were just having a weak moment. I have them all the time. :wink:

Aw, sorry Bess…I just can’t fucking stand that cocksniffer. I know it’s mean to say I’m glad the fucker’s dead, but…let’s just say I’m not shedding any tears. :confused: I disliked his politics and loathed his trite, nauseating pap music.

No offense, I realize you like his music. Tho I can’t see why. :evilfun:

Hmmm…I am having a bad day. I think I’ll log off and go crank up some music.

Later, all.

Thanks for sharing :astonished:

Phae, I don’t know what you think his ‘politics’ were? He was all over the place – a multimillionaire, anti tax, limo-chauffeured, corporate boss with servants who didn’t like war? Which part did you loathe?

All of it, km2_33. Mostly just that he was the most overrated peice of shit the music world ever crapped out. What’s it matter, really? Opinions are like assholes, as they say. Lots of people like his music (and love the Beatles), and that’s fine with me. Just don’t try to play his pap on my rig and we’ll be fine. :slight_smile:

Only interested. I’m not overly mad about Lennon myself, but I acknowledge his place as a pivotal western, pop musician – nothing more.

I agree. The mouth is a reverse arsehole, the brain its intestines; what comes out is the only thing we have to offer each other. :wink:

Hi guys,

Maybe I have more of an emotional reaction to Lennon due to my childhood memories of the Beatles. I was twelve when they came here and remember lying on my parents bed glued to the (13" black and white) TV when they were on the Ed Sullivan Show. They were so wonderful and unique back in that Elvis era. I don’t know - I had such a visceral reaction when he died, but if I had to explain why I would be hard-pressed. He wasn’t my favorite artist/musician of all time, but he was so much a part of those years for me that I can’t seperate it.

But a gurgling-blood joke after someone honors his memory? C’mon.

I liked Lennon. Anyone who could write Nowhere Man, In My Life, Strawberry Fields, A Day in the Life is certainly a musician and I would say, an artist. I mean, I’m not crazy about Bob Dylan and what I ‘perceive’ to be his fake Greenwich Village attitude, but the man was definitely a top notch lyricist in his heyday. The pop bands who covered his songs though did better things with his melodies when they changed the rhythm and switched to ‘2-4 time’ rather than the standard folk ‘2-2 time.’
Lennon had all those wonderful and sometimes scary contradictions that
we associate with the personalities of great artists.
Time for a pint. Bye, MRJ

I’m glad that he shot himself

The thing about the Beatles is that their music, not lyrics, leaves me completely cold. None of the stuff makes me want to move. They were white classical type guys trying to play rock. Where’s the beat and where’s the tension?

:laughing: Brilliant.

At least I agreed with that drugged up hippy on this one:

-Thirst4TheWho