Any True Music Lovers/Experts Here

Would anyone here classify themselves as a true music lover, or an expert on the subject of music here?

I would say I know more about music than 95% of people my age, but I certainly wouldn’t classify myself as an expert on the subject.

It depends on what you call a music expert. I in no way claim to know all the different artists out there, there’s too many garage bands just become famous only to die after 15 minutes not even in the spot light kind of garage bands out there to know all of them. If on the other hand you want to know stuff about the theory of music, im slightly better equipped to answer your questions, if not me, one of my friends will 99.9% of the time know the answer to your question.
Good luck on your search!

What is music theory? I don’t even know that…

I guess that I could consider myself quite a lover and player of Music. I have a fair bit of knowledge about music theory stored in my brain and more knowledge about bands and music history stored as well.

Username,

What are some of your favorite bands. Any reasons you can give why they are so good?

I’ve been really into Frank Zappa as of late.

i know a hell of a lot about music theory, if that’s what you mean

I can recognise most tracks/artists in the first bar they play, usually less. I think that this shows… I have a good ear for music, or i have an unhealthy obsession with the radio…

I know enough to please my brain with my musical selections.

I’ve been told I have one of the most wide range and diverse musical tastes around and on my lapyop i have 300 hours of music, none of it downloaded! how’s that :smiley:

:wink:

Billy, what have you heard so far? What are some of your favorites?

[I could talk about Zappa until the cows come home]

Are you speaking of an inate appreciation for music that has been creatively constructed and played? I consider myself a deep lover of music, but an expert of music goes way beyond love of music. What does it mean to be an expert of music? To be able to compare and contrast different styles? To be able to easily say: “That band is a rip-off of so-and-so because…”

I listen to an insanely wide variety of music…

Old Classical Favorites: Bach, Mozart, Vivaldi, Verdi, Barber, Strauss, Beethoven, and plenty of other small people…

Neo Classical Favorites: Williams, Horner, Zimmer, Holst, Goldenthal, Elfman, Morricone, Poledouris (big fan), Goldsmith, and again, plenty of other small people…

VGM Favorites: Uematsu, Uelmen, Kondo, Reznor, and tons more that I won’t bother to list…

Favorite Bands: Tool, A Perfect Circle, Nine Inch Nails, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath (with Ozzy), Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Queen, Metallica, Megadeth, Mudvayne, Lamb Of God, Rammstien, RATM, Smashing Pumpkins, U2, Metric, Static-X, Daft Punk, Coldplay, Nirvana, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Soilwork, System Of A Down, The Gypsy Kings, REM, At The Drive In, A Fire Inside, Disturbed, Doobie Brothers, The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Incubus, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Lacuna Coil, The Beastie Boys, Godsmack, AC/DC, and a bunch more that I don’t feel like putting down…not to mention the bands that I just “like” …

Favorite Artists: Sting, Billy Joel, Ozzy Osbourne, Modest Mouse, Johnny Cash, Pedro The Lion, Enya, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, and a bunch others in the R&B and Rap catagory that I really don’t want to take the time to list…

I’d list more, but I must go…
but with this, I ask: What would you like to discuss??

why is it that steely dan and talking heads are so under appreciated? what do music theory pros think about this? is this kind of over produced, technical craziness the pinnacle of musical talent or what? i think there are songs that are easier to get into quickly, but none have such lasting appeal.

the fact that these songs are so complicated means that you can listen to them a million times and hear a little thing that you didnt notice the first million times. there are so many things happening, its almost impossible to hear the whole picture the first time. i think this is why they are underrated, people hear a complex song like Aja one time and it seems boring. the first time i heard it i didnt even notice the drum solos!

That would be Dennis Chambers. If drumming was chocolate ice cream, he’d be Baskin Robbins.

I once saw a video of live performances called “A Tribute to Buddy Rich.” Dennis was there along with many other remarkable percussionists. There was a portion of the tape where three drummers were set up on a stage to duel with one another. I recall when Dennis, after hearing the other drummers and their solos, played what they played but with one hand behind his back.

You bastard!

yeah so the ones i italicized i totally agree
according to me, at least, i’d give you an 85% awesome taste in music
buen trabajo :slight_smile:

Cool…hey, if you like AFI, I don’t see why you shouldn’t dig At The Drive In…or possibly Fugazi… :smiley:

Dennis Chambers does wonders for Tool. It’s pretty hard to have Tool without him. :stuck_out_tongue:

Since when has Chambers played for Tool?

Did I miss something?

mostly cause i’ve never heard either one
have you heard this whole mystery thing behind afi?

Whoops…I mixed up the name…gah! I’m tell you this now, I have no idea why I keep mixing up Dennis Chambers with Danny Carrey…probably the initials in their names…

When you like a drummer’s style too much, it becomes a staple in your thinking…

What mystery thing?