favorite song

favorite song, anyone?

i’d have to go with “short stories with tragic endings” by from autumn to ashes

This is a toughie. I will instead post my top three, as I don’t have a good means of choosing between them and my esteem alters between them from day to day.

Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
Iggy Pop - Lust for Life
Anti-Flag - Got the Numbers

The latter two are virtually guaranteed to get me a speeding ticket when played in the car, and the former is just an all-round splendid track that has everything one could want in a song and is multi-meaningful to boot.

The sound of silence by Simon and Garfunkel.

Good one, Gav.

My favourite song of all time is “Sicut Cervus” by Palestrina. It was sublime to sing in choir in college, and always touches me with it’s beauty – well, usually when i hear it performed.

Second favourite, “Ave Verum Corpus” by Mozart – I think it’s the best work he ever wrote.

Yes, these are both church music, but that’s in line with my view of religious humanism which gives belief and glory to God.

(What! He used the “g” word! And outside the Religion forum!!)

un chanteur mal fet

Oh I cant agree with either of those!

Im personally of the opinion that Ave verum was the worst work Mozart ever wrote!

As for Palestrina, well, I find him boring…

On a lighter note, if youo like these, my suspicion is that youd love Allegri’s Miserere mei, deus (psalm 51)…check it out and let me know what you think…

Well, Palestrina’s not boogie music – the harmony’s the thing.

As for the Miserere, I like David’s version, so I’ll probably like Allegri’s as well. :wink:

Oh, I also thought I’d add: – best (or most economically responsible) video I’ve ever seen –
“World on Fire” by Sarah McLaughlin.
sarahmclachlan.com/
“The more we take, the less we become.”

un chevalier mal fet

its obvious the best song ever is Hurricane by Bobby D

Unless you haven’t heard it.

Is that anything like the Scorpions’ “Rock You Like a Hurricane”?

I just burnt nine C.D.s, Tool, and A Perfect Circle included, on my roomates computer. I have been listening to them throughout the day and I’ve had a few different reactions to the music.

I know now that Aenima, Lateralus, and Undertow are my favorite. I didn’t much care for Opiate, Saliva, and the other ones(I forget the names of the albums).

I had heard long before I listened to Tool that King Crimson had allowed Tool to tour with them, opening at each show. This was enough for me to think that Tool had to be a talented band, as Robert Fripp, the avant garde, would be the first to find the rock world contemptable.

Indeed when I heard Lateralus I was impressed. I can see intimate similarities in the music. The dark over tones and diminished chords, as well as the time signatures. Tool uses 5/4 and 7/4 often as does Crimson. I was also suprised to find that the music was extremely delicate and intricate, so that the thought that Tool was seeking to over power other metal bands by raging teenage angst never crossed my mind. Some of the repetative melodies got to me, but I could tolerate it. Tool has an integrity that separates them from most of the ‘metal’ I’ve heard throughout the nineties and up to today.

I don’t know what to make of Maynard James Keenan, yet. He’s a strange dude. I’ll get back to you on that one. The drummer has my ear right now.

Lost In The Stars -

I’m sorry but you’re all wrong. Very, very wrong. The best song ever is ‘Cat’s in the Cradle’ by Harry Chapin. Don’t even try to dispute it. It’s indisputable. Thus it can’t be disputed. Actually feel free to tell me I’m wrong and ignorant. Mainly because we all like different things.

I’m not sure what my favorite song is, but the most played song on my playlist is Reagan Youth - USA . A close second goes to The Clash - London Calling
Bad Religion - The Defense, Dead Kennedys - Holiday in Cambodia, and Anti-Flag - Seattle Was a Riot round out the top five.

‘Bruce’s Philosophers Song’ by Monty Python has to be the most appropriate here. :smiley: