Best blues guitar break of all time...

Gotta be Hendrix and that scintillatingly superb break on Red House heard nothing ever to beat it

All agreed then?

All Time Best Blues Guitar Breaks Chart

No 1 Jimi Hendrix Red House

While I don’t listen to Hendrix on a regular basis, I’ll agree with you. :wink:

The one on the blues album?

agreed: red house it is. :sunglasses:

Stevie Ray Vaughan:

“Couldn’t stand the weather”

Hendrix doesn’t hold a candle to Stevie.

Come on, admit it.

Hendrix doesn’t hold a candle to Vaughn? What a uneducated joke.
1, Vaughn plays the same damn Shuffle in A minor over and over and over again
2. hendrix Lit the candle
3.Vaughn is by and large a derivative and unimaginative soloist, unable to breakout from Albert Collins stereotypes.

In my opinion, the best blues break is in The Story of My Life by Guitar Slim.

I’ll put Machine Gun against any and All stevie Ray songs any time…

Hendrix completed blues soloing. After Hendrix there is nothing a blues guitar player can solo about. All good blues now days is no-solo Deep Country stuff like RL Burnside and Junior Kimbrough

Alright, Herpes, let’s start over.

The question cannot be answered because “best” is a relative term. I, personally, prefer Stevie’s style over Hendrix’s. This doesn’t mean I don’t like Hendrix. This doesn’t mean I like Blues either. In fact, it bores me tremendously. If I had to pick a favorite, I’d sort through all the boring leads and riffs and probably pull Stevie out of the barrel.

I’m sorry you don’t agree. Nor do I care.

Now Wait a minute, we’re changing horses in the middle of a chariot race here, Mr Hur.

If you like SRV over Hendrix that’s quite fine by me. I won’t even attack that. hell I wouldn’t even second guess or criticize that. But what you originally stated was that Hendrix didn’t hold a candle to SRV. That’s a different argument entirely. To that different argument, I reacted.

I agree with you most blues nowdays sucks. I used to listen to hours of blues programming growing up in Texas. and I think I’ve heard the same Alligator/Silver Tone records blues jam a a hundred thousand times. The only interesting shit in my opinion is the stuff being played in New Orleans by random assed cross fertilized guys like Johnny Vidocavitch and folks like that AND the stuff coming out of Fat Possum.

I do tend to think that much as Coltrane exhausted the possibilities of the Tenor sax, Hendrix exhausted the possibilities of Blues Guitar Soloing in the traditional BB King/ Charlie Christian/T-Bone Walker Style. Even Buddy Guy has given up and started playing Deep Country North Mississippi shit.

May I recommend some fun stuff for you? Hound Dog Taylor - his first two 1970’s albums. guitar Slim “Story of My Life” Sonny Sharrock some Post Hendrix jazz improv, and Junior Watson. these fuckers are crazy.

Monsieur de’trop

You said,

[i]"Stevie Ray Vaughan:

“Couldn’t stand the weather”

Hendrix doesn’t hold a candle to Stevie.

Come on, admit it."[/i]

[size=59]w[/size][size=75]h[/size][size=100]a[/size][size=150]t[/size][size=200]?[/size] Are you serious? Are you crazy?

Yep, that guy John Coltrane was something else too. I can remember once listening to an album of his many years ago and me a few tokes on a spliff and this music was like nothing else! I mean, Coltrane played his sax like a bird sings - hey, and there’s another one - Charlie Parker.

Perhaps the only man that ever equalled Hendrix, but in an entirely different musical style/genre was, no, not Wes Montgomery, what’s the guy’s name, somebody help me, Stephane Grappelly on fiddle, and, er, oh yeah, how could I ever forget, Django Reinhardt?

Look fellas, I love Hendrix. Grew up on him.

But Hendrix is a simpleton blues player. That doesn’t make him bad, just simple. Stevie, while a blues player as well, is not so simple. I am speaking about technique, not acid dipped head-bands and tie-dye t-shirts. 75% of Hendrix is sensationalism. He is, pardon me for saying, not a guitarist’s guitarist. Neither is Stevie, for that matter, but he is a more dexterious player.

Do either of you play guitar?

Do you know the difference between Allan Holdsworth and Angus Young?

Between Al Di Meola and Jimmy Page?

Joe Pass and Ted Nuget?

John McLaughlin and Eric Clapton?

If you do, then you are half way there.

“Greatest” blues break is not saying much, and hardly worthy of an opinion. If you had asked me this ten years ago, I’d be all excited.

When I discovered jazz fusion and progressive rock, “blues” and “rock and roll” became a thing of the past.

Hey, this is mundane babble right?

Hendrix was a showman, but he had a solid grounding in blues and soul: the ‘acid dipped head-bands’ came later.

Yeah, I played guitar since I was ten… …what difference does that make?

What about Indo-Jazz fusions?

Blues is never a thing of the past! It’s always becoming and is the basis upon which all rock is founded.

Hendrix is hardly a simpleton blues player. The soloing on Band of Gypsies and Electric Ladyland is hardly simple. Seriously, and without irony, have you heard “Machine Gun”? In order to be able to make the claim that Hendrix is a weak blues player you have to discount all the recorded Hendrix music except for Are You Experienced? Vaughn is hardly a more dexterous player. To argue this point, I offer any version of killing Floor, but especially the Radio One version, Jam Back At the House on the Woodstock Album, Machine Gun again, the virtuosity and rhythmic talent on Who knows, or any live version of Hear My train a Comin from post '68

Even when Hendrix strictly plays blues, like on the blues album, it’s far more interesting than anything Vaughn ever served up. Hendrix has A voice, Vaughn an echo.

For 13 years

yes

Yes, and I think Di Meola is an uninteresting technician. Page rocks. Ever hear how fucking weird those solos on In through the Out Door are?

I hate this shit. it’s the artistic equivalent of repressing bad memories and
other Freudian devices. the whole concept of a hierarchical ranking of Music is so dumb. Don’t you ever just wanna get crunk and fuck shit up man? How can you get all nuts to Shakti? Don’t you just need some swamp music sometimes? Besides the Only bad music is toby Keith.

eric clapton - crossroads
its all good, hendrix rules, he’s more psychadelic though

I cant believe I missed this thread.

Jimi is great, he influenced the hell out of rock. Stevie Ray Vaughn even idolizes him (even though he’s a much better guitarist… even if he can’t play and sing at the same time so good).

But, the thing to remember is that Jimi died at 28 and only played guitar for 16 years. The legend of Jimi sprouts from the fact he was on his way to be the best there ever was or probably will be for 50-100 years down the road. There are MUCH better guitarists/guitar breaks/guitar solos in terms of technique out there. Listen to some shit Yngwie Malmstein has put out, man… just WILD. Hell, I’d even venture to say that there’s lots of things that Van Halen could do that Jimi could not… and not as many vice versa.

There’s lots of stuff out today that uses some really original arpegio useage that I think needs some credit. Jake Lizzo did one for Fat Sally on the song Triumph which I really enjoy, and Shermer does a good job highlighting their guitarist’s talents.

I think the best part of a guitar break is generally that way it flows into a song and not so much the break itself, because you dont want a song to be too much like, “Hey, look at our guitarist, he’s awesome, hire our band!”

EDIT: Meh, now I know why I missed this thread. Best blues guitar break.

Arguing over guitarists is something that I hate to love doing…

But in blues breaks… I find Stevie Ray Vaughan’s Scuttle Buttin’ to be my personal favorite.

another close one would be since I’ve been loving you by Led Zeppelin.